1/32 Trumpeter A7E worth building it ?

Jetmech57

Well, this is my first attempt at posting on the site ! Hello fellow plastic fanatics ! 

My first question is it worth building the 1/32 scale trumpeter A7E ? I read all the pro's and con's and still do not know. I worked on them when I was in the Navy for attack squadron VA-146. back in 1975. I have heard the kit intake is the wrong shape and needs the Zactoman correction part ? I'm also in dire search for Victory Productions decal sheet 1/32 scale A7E , sheet # VPD32001 ( OOP ), it has the markings of my plane right down to my pilots name on the cockpit ! Any idea's from you all, I'm going crazy looking for them ! Thank you guys for any help at all.

As Thierry said, how badly do you want one?  Only you can answer that. I wanted an EA-6B so converted it. Learned loads and have one. I'd say go for it. Even with the misshapen canopy and intake, it'll still be yours (and if you can find that sheet, even better!)

And welcome to our merry corner of the web. :hi: Always good to have a Blue Diamond onboard!

-Peter

Who knows?  What with a chicken in every pot and a 3D printer on every bench, who’s to say that you couldn’t hire a fellow LSPer to print you a new intake and a shape to pull a vac canopy from?  What a marvelous magic world we live in these days.

It´s a really nice kit even with the squat front section.

The intake is quite "fatlipped" and obvious, but the canopy don´t seen so bad if you have it in the open position.

I built mine many years ago, soon after it came out, It´s mostly OOB, but I got new decals.

Stefan :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

I built it several years ago when the kit first came out, even before correction sets showed up. Not a bad kit overall, enjoyed building it but would not do it again now without proper aftermarket pieces. Scratchbuilding the intake is beyond my modelling skills so I definitely not start without a proper inake today, while dealing with the canopy would be easier. I would on the other hand agree it may be easier if 3D printing support is available. And if the said shape issue is not really an issue for you, I'd say just go ahead.

We desperately need a new resin canopy & windshield without the squashed look. 

I have two SLUFs on the standby shelf for which I have the Zacto inlets and canopy sets but loathe vacforms so the builds are frozen. (Inlets and Aires wheel wells etc installed, and I would buy ResKit rear ends.)

I think I've spent upwards of £330 on the two A-7E kits already (Zacto, Aires, new markings, etch cockpit, avionics bays and stencil sets for the pylons) so it is a bit of a money pit project — but the only game in town, and likely to remain so.. 

Tony