Regulus II, Yep I am at it again

Dandiego

Ok, Yes I have multiple projects going. I am retired. What else am I supposed to do?

First drawings in Fusion 360. Not much to show from the design phase so.....

hIzRI84.jpg

A little inspiration.

This is the oooooooolllldddddd Monogram kit with transporter. I will hopefully be building both the missile and the transporter. This photo is my best reference for the transporter.

4pQfkBl.jpg

Here are most of the major airframe parts printed and assembled. I got the wings a little on the small and thin side so I glued on so sheet plastic to correct that.

pdOpMCd.jpg

Yes this has been in process for a while, as evidenced by the partially completed F-103.

Thanks, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

I've actually spent some time trying to find any references for you...still no joy.  That trailer is hard to track down.  Maybe the Vought Museum in CT or a call to the NMNA in Pensacola. I combed through www.history.navy.mil and almost all of their stuff references the Regulus I variant.

But I did find this pic that made me laugh (and a not so go view of the trailer). That's the P&W J-52 engine on the stand. The same motor that powered the A-4 Skyhawk and the A-6 Intruder and EA-6B Prowler.  We literally just retired those in 2019...?! https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-chance-vought-regulus-ii-55260693.html 

Thanks for the search and the photo. Elusive, that trailer is ( in my best Yoda voice).

Well I will give it my best shot, fortunately, if there are no decent photos, no one will be able to tell me I got it wrong. Since I have this photo of the model I know what the parts look like but not how they go together. Can't find the instruction sheet either.

Dan

7 hours ago, easixpedro said:

I've actually spent some time trying to find any references for you...still no joy.  That trailer is hard to track down.  Maybe the Vought Museum in CT or a call to the NMNA in Pensacola. I combed through www.history.navy.mil and almost all of their stuff references the Regulus I variant.

But I did find this pic that made me laugh (and a not so go view of the trailer). That's the P&W J-52 engine on the stand. The same motor that powered the A-4 Skyhawk and the A-6 Intruder and EA-6B Prowler.  We literally just retired those in 2019...?! https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-chance-vought-regulus-ii-55260693.html 

Those airplanes and motors were from a time when companies and employees actually gave a crap about what they turned out.  Nowadays new airplanes roll off the line and go immediately into maintenance for unaddressed ADs and other issues. And look at the problems Boeing had with trash left inside airframe assemblies by barely-paid employees who built the handful of KC-46s they’ve managed to scrape together so far.   Corporate bean counters have inherited the earth.

OK. Time to make some progress. 

Here is a photo of the model parts that I had enlarged to 1:32 scale.

Iim71o4.jpg?2

I cut out one part silhouette, and used it to cut out 2 sidewall blanks.

7jtR649.jpg?2

xYkGoJs.jpg?3

And then I designed some additional parts and printed them out.

SDe5mwf.jpg?1

So this is where I am at tonight.

Stay tuned, Dan

Today I am working on the tires for the trailer.

I went online to CGtrader and downloaded an STL file for truck/trailer tires. This is the first time I have downloaded a file. It was quite easy and only cost $2.70.

Here are the first 2 tires. I needed to resize the tires to fit the trailer. I changed the diameter and thickness in my slicer. Turned out better than I expected. Second set of tires printing now. Cost to print a full set of 4 tires is about $2.

8XApebt.jpg

22Am0IS.jpg

Now I need hubs. I will try to design them myself.

Stay tuned. Dan