Border 1/35 scale FW190-A6. Finito!!

quang

After working my way through this and some other builds on here, something occurred to me:  In a very short period of time and with the help of a myriad leaps in technology, we have gone from building models of five or six pieces to building tiny real airplanes out of plastic and resin.  Never thought I’d see such a thing, but here it is.

1 hour ago, Oldbaldguy said:

After working my way through this and some other builds on here, something occurred to me:  In a very short period of time and with the help of a myriad leaps in technology, we have gone from building models of five or six pieces to building tiny real airplanes out of plastic and resin.  Never thought I’d see such a thing, but here it is.

So true…Another thing that comes in mind is how these leaps of technology make us change our way of building kits.
Gone are the days of the ham fist and the brute force when we had to ‘flex’ the plastic parts to keep them in line. Today’s kits are so precise, the tolerance of the moulded parts so tight that an extra coat of paint or glue can make or break an entire build. Some fitting details are so small and innocuous-looking that they can pass as moulding defects and easily eradicated by the unwary modeller.

More than ever, when something goes wrong with a build, we modellers better check the way we did it first, instead of instantly blaming the plastic.

8 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Easygoing, precise and fun experience for us to follow…

I’m having much fun building this kit. So glad it shows in the photos. Thanks Martin, it’s the greatest compliment I ever had.:bow:

8 hours ago, mozart said:

You have achieved a really remarkable finish with your 190 …

Sometimes there’s a single factor which breaks the binds and unleashes the tide. This time it was Max’s masks. :clap2:
Add to that, I recently renewed my old ties with figure painting and applied some of the techniques to aircraft modelling. In music they call it a ‘cross over’. :P

Thank you all for your comments,

Quang

Edited by quang
Syntax

19 hours ago, Fanes said:

If some nitpicking isn't too daring: it looks like there's some paint bleed on the rudder's trim tab and a small line of white paint on the starboard fuselage cross from mask misalignment.

OK Joachim, put the magnifying glass down  :hmmm:

;)

• 3 weeks later...

Final lap, folks! The finishing line is in sight.

Yet just before this journey comes to an end, Border kept for us a ‘surprise du chef’, a rather nasty one at that: the entire OMISSION of the open landing gear stage in the kit assembly instructions.:angry2:

I had to delve into my FW documentation to look for the necessary parts (which are included in the kit but nowhere mentioned) and find their respective location.

Anyway, after a long and vocabulary-rich rant, here’s our near-ready Wurger. Still missing are the open panels and the antennae.

Hope you like it.

IMG-2598.jpg

IMG-2600.jpg

IMG-2605.jpg

IMG-2620.jpg

IMG-2616.jpg

IMG-2612.jpg

IMG-2610.jpg

IMG-2607.jpg

IMG-2643.jpg

IMG-2641.jpg

IMG-2640.jpg

IMG-2638.jpg

IMG-2633.jpg

Thank you for looking in, 

Until next under foreign (Italian ?) skies,

Arrivederci :coolio:

Quang

• quang changed the title to Border 1/35 scale FW190-A6. The final lap

If it helps, I do have photos in my collection that provide a partial glimpse of this aircraft. It had an ETC rack mounted on the fuselage bottom and canopy "blinkers" fitted when photographed. No WGr 21 rocket tubes were attached.

This ISNT meant to be a rant about your build (which looks great BTW), but to add some additional details for you.

HTH

Mark Proulx

43 minutes ago, Mark P said:

If it helps, I do have photos in my collection that provide a partial glimpse of this aircraft. It had an ETC rack mounted on the fuselage bottom and canopy "blinkers" fitted when photographed. No WGr 21 rocket tubes were attached.

This ISNT meant to be a rant about your build (which looks great BTW), but to add some additional details for you.

HTH

Mark Proulx

Hi Mark, I already know all these details :P
I’m currently working on the blinkers, notably thinning their rear side (there’s a slight gap between the blinkers and the canopy glass, hence the foggy vision disliked by so many pilots). They will be added in due time.

I also decided to discard the (provided) ETC rack seen on the photos because I wanted to show off the full exhaust streak on the underside.

As for the mortar tubes, I intended to make a diorama showing the crew loading the shell.

IMG-2655.jpg

Unfortunately, I got distracted by the arrival of the upcoming MC.202 Folgore. :coolio:

And most of all, I’m not a historian. I just enjoy slapping plastic together.

Thank you so much for your heads-up,

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

4 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Nice work, Quang. As much as I'm a "say no 1/35 aircraft" guy, I must admit that this does look like a decent kit.

Kev

Just my 2 cents, Kev but I wouldn’t like to be in ZM shoes these days.:coolio:

That’s one of the most realistic finishes on a war-weary bird that I’ve seen Quang, congratulations. You certainly have the ability with your experience and background to take painting to the next level.