Supermarine Spitfire ‘E’ wing conversion sets for both the early and later E wing configurations for the 1/24 Airfix kit

Ali62

Guys I am just curious on the slow sales on this set, I am just wondering why and would appreciate comments as to why this maybe. I thought that there would be some interest in making E wing Spitfires, and I think that I have developed some sets at a ‘reasonable’ price.

Do let me know, I was thinking of developing a few other sets but with the current response I am a little hesitant to do so.

9 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Guys I am just curious on the slow sales on this set, I am just wondering why and would appreciate comments as to why this maybe. I thought that there would be some interest in making E wing Spitfires, and I think that I have developed some sets at a ‘reasonable’ price.

Do let me know, I was thinking of developing a few other sets but with the current response I am a little hesitant to do so.

How many people agree with me about producing a correct 1/24 Spitfire seat for Airfix?

On 5/29/2023 at 10:29 AM, Ali62 said:

Difficult to say for sure... but the Airfix release is still very recent and I believe there are other similar even if less comprehensive conversions.

I'm also wondering if the lack of decals or masks cannot have an impact as well...?

Thierry

Personally, I plan on buying a set. I am just waiting on the release of the Beaufighter stuff and then I will order both, as well as a couple of other items. Just like to bundle my orders to make shipping more efficient for going across the pond!

Addendum: I just went through your catalog: I will be ordering many more items plus the Beau & Spit E wing!

On 5/29/2023 at 10:29 AM, Ali62 said:

hey,

I don’t have the kit (sadly zero budget at mo) but one thing re your set is that it doesn’t seem to address the changes to the underside?

from memory - and I emphasise this is from memory - the underside of an e wing is not the same as the c

i recall something similar coming up in 1/32 scale with Tamiya’s IXc (although I cannot recall the aftermarket company in question) which is why I raise it here.

I may be wrong in that your set does have the relevant bits, but I can’t tell since the instructions section on the website only has Hellcat and Typhoon stuff when I click 1/24?

hope this helps a little

Nick

PS I would also try to see where the original kits are being sold? My guess is that the Model Kits For Less Facebook group did a truck load of these, so I would speak to Mike Jolly and see if he can promote your set? (He has a real shop and then leverages of that - although probably the other way round now as I imagine online says dwarf the shop)

• 3 weeks later...

From what I understand, in order to do Johnny Johnson’s MK392 which is on one of the Hannants Decal sheet all you need to do is move the Cannon fairings (these look to be the regular cannon fairings included in the kit but I cant tell to be sure) to the outboard rather than inboard and then have the open .50 calibre fairings available in the sets shown above. MK392 was manufactured with a C wing and was modified at Squadron Level to configure the wing guns in this way, I believe it was something to do with stresses on the wings when the Bombs were carried as if the cannons were in the inboard slot they were right above the bomb shackles so additional stresses were incurred on the wing assemblies. There’s a photo of JEJ sat on the wing of MK392 showing the fit and also what would be the .50 apperature taped over so I have no idea if there’s a .50 fitted in there or not but surely if there wasn’t they would have just fitted that dome shaped cover and literally just swapped the fit from inboard to outboard which leads me to think the Wing Commander had .50’s lurking in there. Also read that the .303’s were often removed when this was done. MK392 was fitted with the wider wing top cannon blister which allowed this swap to take place. I think I read that Airfix got the shape of this wrong so you’d need to make one of those as part of a set if you wanted to go down this route. I cant recall where I read all this, whether it was something from Edgar or one of the 2nd Tactical Air Force books. I think it was a common thing with the Canadian Wing, so you’d really need photos of your chosen subject. So a MK392 conversion set might be a bit specific.

On the subject of conversions for the big Airfix Spitfire I’d really like a conversion set for one of the FR.IX’s which would be the camera port window in the radio door hatch and maybe a camera and rack to put in there. No idea how the camera was controlled though. 

• 9 months later...
On 5/29/2023 at 5:29 AM, Ali62 said:

Guys I am just curious on the slow sales on this set, I am just wondering why and would appreciate comments as to why this may be. I thought that there would be some interest in making E wing Spitfires, and I think that I have developed some sets at a ‘reasonable’ price.

I'm a bit late to this thread, and I wonder if anything has changed in terms of sales, but here's my theory:

It is a big, reasonably expensive kit.  How many people are actually going to buy one?  How many of those people are actually going to buy (and seriously mean to build) MORE than one?  Most people associate the Spit IX with the C wing, and even if you eliminate the high percentage that will insist on doing Johnson's most well known mount, most of the rest will probably be happy to do a representative "standard" Mark IX.  Unless they really want to do a particular IX (or XVI) that has the 'e' armament, they don't need to buy your conversion.

As for myself, if I feel the need for a "big" Spitfire, 1/32 is big enough.  Or so I feel thus far.  Had Airfix done an FR.XIV instead of a IX, I almost certainly would have succumbed, but I'm funny that way.

bob