1/32 VF-111 F-4B (F-4B conversion with Folded Wings)

Marcel111

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, big thanks for the encouragement!

Matt, to answer your question, the only decals used on the model is the yellow "rescue" rectangle on the starboard side of the nose, and the white "jet" and "intake" lettering ahead of the intake. Everything else, including the sunburst, is masked.

On 12/18/2023 at 4:51 AM, SwissFighters said:

I think the patchwork coloration of the grey is particularly well done - and captures one of the effects I would love to replicate on my Swiss F-5E. The overall appearance is messy and neat at the same time which is really hard to capture! Brilliant masking - very accurate. The pinstripe orange is a testament to that. Really appreciate you sharing these pics as they are quite inspirational for me.
Cheers, Tony

Tony, I really appreciate this comment since that is exactly the look I'm going for.

Cheers,

Marcel

3 hours ago, alain11 said:

Hi Marcel

where do the data stensils come from ? I am currently " decaling " my Navy S , but these damnad little stuffs don't want to slide off the support paper ( decals are years old ) thanks 

Alain

Hi Alain, the stencils were done using the various Eduard etched stencil masks… unfortunately I dont think they make them anymore.

Cheers,

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 3:19 PM, Starfighter said:

They sadly don't and all of the sets were incomplete - some important stencils were always missing. It's nonetheless a shame they don't make them anymore as they were super useful. 

Ben, let’s discuss in Lingen. I think we should produce a comprehensive set that should enable us to do most Navy planes. I think a 3D approach would be good since you could eg add little „handles“ such that you can hold the masks in place with tweezers while airbrushing. Also, notches to aid placement would help.

• 1 month later...

Phew, almost at the finish line with this project. Here are some closer views of the load-out... all quick phone pics, so apologies for the poor pic quality. The inboard pylons are from Reskit, as are the TER's and Mk82's... excellent stuff from Reskit. Fuze wires on the Mk82's are made from 0.2mm lead wire. I'm aware that they should be sticking out 4 inches beyond the fuze but I inadvertently bent during assembly. The lead wire is so pliable it will about bend when breathing on it.

The AIM-9D's are (from front to back): Reskit noses, 4mm styrene fuze section, rest is Zacto. I've noticed that most manufacturers do the AIM-9D's with window fuze sections ala AIM-9L/M, but this section seems to be smooth and metallic on the D.

wAnEaZ.jpg

Hmq77h.jpg

JH8kww.jpg

Almost there. A friend is printing the spine antennas, once those are on she'd done.

I'm really please how the wing hinges turned out, it's pretty much a press-fit with just a tiny bit of white glue required.

OcLkWl.jpg

I'll be taking photos with a better camera once she is complete, I'll then also take more detail pics of for example the wing hinge mechanism.

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111