WNW Website is back!

vince14

Looks like the WNW website has bitten the dust. It's now giving a 503 error, which most likely means that the server is down. Could be an ISP issue, but it could also well be that they've decided not to renew the site.

If it truly has gone for good, then it's a real shame as it contained lots of useful information.

14 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

That'll add 20% to WNW used prices.

You are not wrong Dean, I'm still contemplating selling my Gotha G.IV but let's see! 

On another note and more importantly I hope you are keeping well these days.

Regards. Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

32 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

You are not wrong Dean, I'm still contemplating selling my Gotha G.IV but let's see! 

On another note and more importantly I hope you are keeping well these days.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy - I'm starting to feel better, after a very rough last couple of years.

The Gotha G.IV seems to be the most in demand WNW kit, I sold mine years ago for £700, just nuts. I remain convinced almost all the WNW kits will re-released at some point (nobody asked for the DFW. C.V...). All that money spent on research, making moulds, decals, instructions & boxing. Surely, Peter Jackson will sell all the moulds & IP , it's just a question of offering enough money?

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

Surely, Peter Jackson will sell all the moulds & IP , it's just a question of offering enough money?

I’m not so sure - from his film career he was very possessive about things like sets and them getting into other people’s hands. IIRC he had most of the sets, costumes etc. from the LotR movies destroyed so that they couldn’t be used in other films.

Well at least we have CSM, Lukgraph, and Roden all releasing new WWI kits, and I think the first two manufacturers are getting very close to WNW standard.

The Gotha G.IV and the FE2 seem to be the most sought after kits, followed by the SE.5. These three are the ones attracting premium prices - I have two each of the Gotha and FE2, and three SE.5’s in the stash, for the price they’re going for maybe I should sell a couple!

Edited by vince14

50 minutes ago, vince14 said:

I’m not so sure - from his film career he was very possessive about things like sets and them getting into other people’s hands. IIRC he had most of the sets, costumes etc. from the LotR movies destroyed so that they couldn’t be used in other films.

Well at least we have CSM, Lukgraph, and Roden all releasing new WWI kits, and I think the first two manufacturers are getting very close to WNW standard.

The Gotha G.IV and the FE2 seem to be the most sought after kits, followed by the SE.5. These three are the ones attracting premium prices - I have two each of the Gotha and FE2, and three SE.5’s in the stash, for the price they’re going for maybe I should sell a couple!

They did let the Fokker Dr.I go to Meng and the Lanc to Border models, so there is a precedent of sorts. Jackson shut WNW down because it was costing money, so he obviously likes money...

I can't bring myself to spend £550 on the Lancaster kit. I'm sure it's the best Lancaster kit of any scale, but I'd find building such an expensive kit more intimidating than enjoyable, and much of the gorgeous interior detail is lost when the fuselage is glued together.

Indeed - great to see you Dean!

I'm with you on the Lanc - I'd really love one, but just can't justify the outlay at present - and too many other things to sidetrack me/finish anyway.

Sad day to see the WnW site go - I wish I'd gone through and downloaded some of the reference photos now - both of the original aeroplanes, and the built models!

Iain

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

They did let the Fokker Dr.I go to Meng and the Lanc to Border models, so there is a precedent of sorts. Jackson shut WNW down because it was costing money, so he obviously likes money...

There were contractual issues with some Chinese firms which led to the Dr.I and Lancaster being released by Border and Meng - I suspect that as they had never been released by WNW PJ might have had less of an issue with them, and it solved some legal wrangling. The reasons for WNW's closure are complicated, too long to go into here, and not well understood outside of PJ, former WNW staff, and Weta, but suffice to say that the cost of WNW was not the primary reason for the closure. 

Whenever I visited the site post-end-of-production I would save whatever page I was visiting to the Internet Archive, but I'm afraid I didn't go anywhere near the vast majority of them. I'm glad I was able to do my bit!