Is the Zoukei-Mura Skyraider sold out and gone?

Bill Cross

I thought it was the other way around; the Korean War era AD-4 was more of a Vietnam era Skyraider.  On any case, the Trumpeter kits aren’t bad.  There are some issues with the prop and windscreen, but one of Trumpeter’s better kits.  IIRC, their AH-1J/AD-7 is more of a USN aircraft as they didn’t make all of the changes for the USAF J model.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I thought it was the other way around; the Korean War era AD-4 was more of a Vietnam era Skyraider.  On any case, the Trumpeter kits aren’t bad.  There are some issues with the prop and windscreen, but one of Trumpeter’s better kits.  IIRC, their AH-1J/AD-7 is more of a USN aircraft as they didn’t make all of the changes for the USAF J model.

Actually I believe you're right , I think they were used both in Korea and Vietnam. I get confused[ happens a lot] on the breakdown of versions. I'd like to build a large scale Skyraider, holding out for someone to issue out a Fat face AD-5, might be waiting awhile.

17 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

I tried to see the cost for the Cologne store, but it wants me to pay before telling me the shipping cost. Considering a Double Ugly book from Europe would cost the same price to ship as the book, I need to make sure I'm not agreeing to pay a small fortune.

https://www.modellbau-koenig.de/de/ShippingInfo/Index?countryCode=US

Assuming you are in the USA, otherwise select your own country :) Probably not worth it and might be better to PM Barry I guess!

Interestingly when I look up postal costs with the Dutch equivalent of USPS I end up with about half of the amount.

Also interesting the prices of ZM 1/32 seem to be 25-30€ up in general from when I bought my A-1J with weapon set included.

Jeroen

1 hour ago, Stevepd said:

I take it the ZM offering is the gold standard?. Clearly I don't know!.

I thought you’d be interested to see the Trumpeter and the Z-M compared side-by-side.

While looking not too bad in profile, the difference is apparent when viewed from above: the Z-M is rather angular with slab sides just like the original. The Trumpeter’s rear body is rotund and is a bit clunky when finished.

60747-FC7-E688-4-F12-8-E8-D-5-F8-EF1-EF4

3-E242-C4-C-1697-4-B96-8-BB2-DB2745767-B

AFA0324-A-4-FA1-48-F3-83-E5-BC67-BCD5893

F4529-AB4-C230-4405-B434-ED54644574-D7.j

3-E46-B40-B-4-EF6-4-DED-AFAB-7-A1-E08-DD

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

13 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

https://www.modellbau-koenig.de/de/ShippingInfo/Index?countryCode=US

Assuming you are in the USA, otherwise select your own country :) Probably not worth it and might be better to PM Barry I guess!

Interestingly when I look up postal costs with the Dutch equivalent of USPS I end up with about half of the amount.

Also interesting the prices of ZM 1/32 seem to be 25-30€ up in general from when I bought my A-1J with weapon set included.

Jeroen

If the kits they are selling include the weapons, it's still OK with the shipping (about $214 total). But Barry's package has both sets, so I will likely go with a known commodity. His is the J which I understand is the H kit with an extra sprue.

8 hours ago, quang said:

I thought you’d be interested to see the Trumpeter and the Z-M compared side-by-side.

While looking not too bad in profile, the difference is apparent when viewed from above: the Z-M is rather angular with slab sides just like the original. The Trumpeter’s rear body is rotund and is a bit clunky when finished.

60747-FC7-E688-4-F12-8-E8-D-5-F8-EF1-EF4

3-E242-C4-C-1697-4-B96-8-BB2-DB2745767-B

AFA0324-A-4-FA1-48-F3-83-E5-BC67-BCD5893

F4529-AB4-C230-4405-B434-ED54644574-D7.j

3-E46-B40-B-4-EF6-4-DED-AFAB-7-A1-E08-DD

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

Very instructive kind sir! If they're sitting by themselves say on a contest table , the differences won't be that striking . it's not enough to deter me from getting one as the prices are generally cheaper than the Z-M. But it's also a point of ,once seen can

t be unseen . Your mileage may vary 

2 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Very instructive kind sir! If they're sitting by themselves say on a contest table , the differences won't be that striking . it's not enough to deter me from getting one as the prices are generally cheaper than the Z-M. But it's also a point of ,once seen can

t be unseen . Your mileage may vary 

I don’t know whether one sees the difference on a contest table since I stopped doing contest in the mid-1980s, but they do make a difference on my work desk :P.
For a long time, I used to think the Trumpeter was OK …until the day I got the Z-M (A-1H with weapon set for 115euros p&p inc.).
But like you said, my mileage is different.

390109-C6-9568-4-EEB-B18-B-0-B7-EC9-CCC8

8 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

If the kits they are selling include the weapons, it's still OK with the shipping (about $214 total). But Barry's package has both sets, so I will likely go with a known commodity. His is the J which I understand is the H kit with an extra sprue.

Hi Bill, looks like they are the normal kits without the weapons sets, just fuel tanks included. I have the A-1J with the weapons and it has a different box art. As another poster indicated this was probably a limited release.

Jeroen

7 hours ago, Rob Colvin said:

I used the AMS stuff on the trumpeter kit....prop blades and wheels. I made the canvas cover behind the pilot out of epoxy putty.

The ZM kit was built out of the box.

Trumpeter

2217-2.jpg

ZM

DSCN5053.jpg

Great looking pair of Skyraiders! If you hadn't labeled which one is which ,I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference[ the eyes are going south I'm afraid] They DO look very good, nice work!

Thanks Quang and Rob, for the great informative pictures of side by side pictures of ‘under’ construction and the beautifully finished models.

Quang your post surely highlights the differences and is good to know and notice, then with Rob’s greatly presented finished models even though taken from a distance it is a lot more difficult to notice the variations. Like so many times once you know and realise a fault it is tricky to ignore it.

However price and availability will play a huge part in which kit is chosen and built by many.