DESERT STORM! Building the new Revell Hurricane kit

quang

Thank you all for your interest. Just hoping I won’t disappoint you.

Firstly a few words about the current project since my first post was image-only.

This is my second attempt at the Hawker Hurricane. My first one was the Fly Model released in 2016. I knew nothing about the plane so I made some research and soon got hooked. It was also at that moment that I found an article by Radu Brinzan about how to correct the original Revell Hurricane released in the 1970s. It was an epiphany, a revealing moment which led me to tackle in turn the Fly model.

Now six years on, learning that Revell has a new-tooled Hurricane with Radu B. in some way involved, I realize that the planets were aligned and things have come full circle.:clap2:

Some will ask why so quick a progress? This second attempt at a Hurri gives me indeed some feeling of déjà vu. Except that this time I don’t need to spend my time correcting and detailing since all the goodies are already there, incorporated in the kit.

Furthermore complex as the cockpit is (the wheel wells is not far behind ^_^), it’s made easy by the ingenious design of the kit. No need for adjustment or guessing. Everything clicks with a positive alignment providing that one carefully studies the instructions. 

Like many others, I used to say: why oh why a Mk.IIb and not a Mk.IIc which is the most produced variant?
After a quick search on the net, I realized that with the Mk.IIb I can choose at least among 5 different types of camouflage: temperate land, continental, mediterranean, pacific, russian.

Myself I’m torn between a Russian and a SAAF plane. I already have enough details for the South African Hurricanes but still nothing definite about the VVS. Hopefully some comrade from the north country would chime in :rolleyes:

Until next year:lol:

Cheers,

Quang

I have a partially completed, probably better described as partially started original Revell Hurricane where I attempted to follow Radu’s epic build using some resin parts designed I believe by him from (possibly) Grey Matters Figures…..the wheel wells in particular were a challenge. 

My initial hacking:

1TmOUg.jpg

Some of the AM:

Fi7v8D.jpg

and instructions:

JLBQKb.jpg

and Radu’s sublime inspirational work:

40zpoh.jpg

ORsfuF.jpg

Edited by mozart

I'm looking forward to building this one, surface detail is very nice giving the builder the choice to add raised rivet detail if they wish. Did this on PCM kit once and was very happy with the results and will do the same with this one as well

20160423-163619.jpg

Looking forward to more progress Quang on your Hurricane.

Regards. Andy 

@monthebiff I agree Andy that the one (huge) thing missing in the Revell kit is the oh-so characteristic dome rivet detail.

FLY Model succeeded to do it with some realism on their kits (albeit only on the wings and NOT the fuselage).

Should Revell went the extra mile with their Hurricane, they would have given us a landmark kit for the next 20 years.

Couldn't agree more Quang, the Revell kit is very, very good indeed and at just under £40 delivered I am very happy indeed. I never bought the Fly Hurricane's but from various buildings noticed the wings looked pretty good. Ea h to their own I guess.

Regards. Andy 

Fantastic work Quang! I've found it very hard to resist this kit (I want it in 1/48!) but man oh man are you making it even tougher!

47 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

giving the builder the choice to add raised rivet detail if they wish.

How is this achieved? Does Revell supply alternate parts, or decals?

13 minutes ago, KiwiZac said:

Fantastic work Quang! I've found it very hard to resist this kit (I want it in 1/48!) but man oh man are you making it even tougher!

How is this achieved? Does Revell supply alternate parts, or decals?

You will need to purchase aftermarket positive decals for this such as Archer if you can still get.

Regards. Andy 

4 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

...so Revell "gives you the choice" how, exactly?

…in my opinion Revell did us a great service by NOT representing the zillions dome rivets by equally numerous divots à la Trumpeter.

Just imagine yourself having to cover the entire kit with liquid sprue in order to try to fill up each and every tiny hole, just to get a smooth surface. :BANGHEAD2:

I’ve always belonged to the “better no rivet than divots” school of thought. Still I can’t help but suppress a smile thinking of the legions of modellers out there with itchy hands and their Rosie the Riveter at the ready. :D