New 1/32 Spitfire XIVe conversion on the way

Sage the Owl

All-

As you can imagine, the profile artworks on decal sheets sometimes have minor discrepancies. Often, the same basic profile is used as the canvas for several different profiles, where the added markings are laid on top. This can create some minor differences between the artwork profile and the actual airframe. Where it counts, however, is in the decals. We are confident that the decals are sized properly, are of the right color, and will be a welcome addition to your XIV kits/conversions. The profile artworks are, after all, just guidelines for where to place your decals. We recommend that all modelers, regardless of the subject they are modeling, consult as many period photographs of your subject as you can when painting, decaling and weathering your models.

At the end of the day, where it really counts, is in the decals. And if you find any discrepancies with the decals themselves, drop Zotz a line and we'll make every effort to correct the error! We're humans too, and we're bound to make a mistake or two along the way. But with tact, and humility, we can all help each other get better at this thing we call model building every day.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

On 11/13/2023 at 2:06 PM, Dennis7423 said:

Here's your decals, folks! These new Zotz Decals from @Eli Raphael will be headed off to the printer shortly. These are applicable to both the XIVc and XIVe conversions that Laminar Flow Design have released thus far. Keep a keen eye on your favorite retailer for these in the near future!

Much thanks to Mathieu at Laminar Flow for his love of the Spitfire and helping nail down some very important details, Thierry Laurent for his vault of Spitfire knowledge, and Nathan Howland at HowdiColour Image Recovery and Colour for his help is nailing down some of the nuanced colors of some of these birds. We hope you will find this sheet attractive, fun, and a welcome addition to your Laminar Flow Design conversions!

399755084_3610508302528938_3476922365492163531_n

397087056_1298689497488092_4212223345122950185_n

370277798_1007397770558911_4586085141580366631_n

Now, get building!

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

interested in the reference for that Brunhilde profile and the serial number attributed?

I know of no pics that show the Brunhilde nose art on a bird with invasion stripes or that show the serial attributed by Zotz; indeed the only photo I know of indicates a different serial entirely, albeit via some very front writing on the spinner, which itself is open to interpretation 

no idea about the others but pretty sure Brunhilde was debated some years back  

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

interested in the reference for that Brunhilde profile and the serial number attributed?

I know of no pics that show the Brunhilde nose art on a bird with invasion stripes or that show the serial attributed by Zotz; indeed the only photo I know of indicates a different serial entirely, albeit via some very front writing on the spinner, which itself is open to interpretation 

no idea about the others but pretty sure Brunhilde was debated some years back  

I'll defer to @Eli Raphael for that one, as the scheme is from their previous sheet and I didn't assist with the research of it.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Those markings were given a long time ago by someone, (can't remember now, sorry). I don't do Science Fiction, folks, that's for sure! I don't invent nose arts, always have used what is given to me, but rest assured that I'm sure I made them then and made available now with that info given back then. You are free not to use them.

ER

On 11/14/2023 at 6:03 PM, John1 said:

Just curious if anyone has pics of “3W-G” post D-Day.    Been yearning to do a subject with the invasion stripes partially removed / roughly painted over.   

The invasion stripes would have been applied using distemper paint, so would have been vigorously washed off, the patchy paintwork on the first photo might be an indication of that, the second one could be a different aircraft to the one on the decal sheet, then again, it could be the same one...

4251761789_4b44787acd_w.jpg

c582216f-7424-fb15-f11a-ae436a224e62.jpg

2 hours ago, Eli Raphael said:

Those markings were given a long time ago by someone, (can't remember now, sorry). I don't do Science Fiction, folks, that's for sure! I don't invent nose arts, always have used what is given to me, but rest assured that I'm sure I made them then and made available now with that info given back then. You are free not to use them.

ER

For sure Eli. However, sources are not static. Both of us are well placed to know identifying a full scheme at a specific time is a minefield. It is very rare to get pictures of all sides of a single plane at a specific time. So in spite of strong efforts there is still place for uncertainty as well as the risk that the day after decals were released someone will unearth an obscure reference showing that one aspect taken for granted for decades was unfortunately wrong. If we compare decals released in the eighties with revisited topics recently released in decal sets, there is no comparison! With regard to such Spits, differences are regularly very difficult to identify in pictures. Sometimes this just goes down to a serial difference whereas in other cases substantially different items such as wing types cannot be easily deciphered. I think this is alas part of the game.

On 11/16/2023 at 7:28 AM, Shoggz said:

Anyone else had the cockpit upgrade set?

Looks really nice and you get two sets in the box - one labelled as 'free sample' - cool!

I just received my 2 sets yesterday. I didn't know there was 2 in each box, so now I have 4!