In With a Hasegawa Ki-61 I

Greif8

On 12/24/2022 at 6:46 AM, Gazzas said:

Geez, Ernest!  You're smashing it!  And it looks great!  The LG look super nice.  If you feel you need to 'oxidize' your aluminum finish, a good way to do it is with alternating gloss and matte coats.  But don't take my word for it without trying it on a paint mule.  I use it to 'oxidize' models I have covered with aluminum foil.

Thank you Gary and I wish you and your loved ones a very merry christmas!

Ernest

Calling this build finished guys.  This was my first effort at spraying a NMF and the results were mixed.  The upper surface fortunately turned out pretty good; however, the lower surface had a few spots where there was a bad reaction between paint and primer (not sure why either) that ended up not looking as nice as I would have liked.  There were a couple of other areas that could have been better as well, but overall a decent first NMF effort.  I will use what I learned here to improve the end result of my next NMF build (hopefully).  As soon as I finish the pilot figure I will post the build in RFI, but here are some shots taken at the bench.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and support and I look forward to continue to follow your builds!

Ernest

I opted to only very lightly weather the build as I rather like how the NMF looks.  I'll try my hand at replicating the oxidized look next time.

IMG_4950 IMG_4951 IMG_4952

Exhaust staining turned out to be pretty tricky to lay down as the NMF surface is very smooth.  Hollowing out the exhausts and adding weld lines to them 

really improved the look of the kit parts.  I think the heat discoloration turned out fairly decent as well.

IMG_4953 IMG_4956

I rarely opt for an enclosed canopy, but two of the three kit canopy parts were very ill-fitting, and I did not feel like dealing with correcting them.  Lazy I know!

IMG_4955

Adding brake lines to the landing gear added a bit of interest to them.

IMG_4958

The scratch-built cannon barrels and modifications I did to the attachment points turned out ok.

IMG_4961

Hmm, maybe I left the plane a bit to pristine.

IMG_4960

Again, once I have finished the pilot figure I will post better shots in the RFI section. 

Ernest

Edited by Greif8

Nicely done Ernest!  Excellent execution!

Just an FYI but it is my information that those long barreled cannon's in the wings were actually German made MG151 cannon that Japan got from their Axis partner.  Not all Ki-61-1 Hei aircraft received them.  I'm not entirely sure I'm 100% accurate on that but I remember reading something on this in one of my books and that information is certainly subject to updated/corrected information.  I do know that the muzzle of the Ho-5 was much different than the muzzle of the MG151 so it's possible i suppose that those were in fact MG151's.

Edited by Juggernut

18 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

The cats meow.....nice one, Ernest!

Cheers,

Damian

13 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Nicely done Ernest!  Excellent execution!

Just an FYI but it is my information that those long barreled cannon's in the wings were actually German made MG151 cannon that Japan got from their Axis partner.  Not all Ki-61-1 Hei aircraft received them.  I'm not entirely sure I'm 100% accurate on that but I remember reading something on this in one of my books and that information is certainly subject to updated/corrected information.  I do know that the muzzle of the Ho-5 was much different than the muzzle of the MG151 so it's possible i suppose that those were in fact MG151's.

11 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Well done, Ernest!  Great looking NMF, and your modifications definitely improved upon the kit's parts.

11 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Superb build log Ernest and an what a clean finish. Very nice indeed!

Regards. Andy 

10 hours ago, themongoose said:

Love it! Nothing wrong with a clean A/C man. Don’t talk yourself out of it :bow: nice build!

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Well done, Ernest! Fantastic build.

Kev

Thank you for the kind words everyone!  

Tim:  I don't have the references for Japanese aircraft that I do for German aircraft and I am sure you are correct.  The kit instructions, and the kit parts, had the "MG151 like" barrels being installed.  Being ignorant of what right looked like concerning this particular part I went with the instructions.  While scratchbuilding the barrels - the kit parts were hopeless - I did notice that they looked a lot like MG151 barrels and to be honest, I was tempted to use a couple the Master barrels I have in the stash.  But I wanted to remain as close to the spirit of an oob build without using any AM stuff and decided to press on scratchbuilding the barrels.  I'll pretend that this aircraft had them installed! 

Gaz:  The NMF is a mixed bag as far as quality of execution went; its good luck that the nice finish is on the top!

Ernest 

18 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The Hei version of the Ki-61 had German MG 151/20 wing guns, so it’s correct for that variant.  They only had a limited supply, so when they came out with the long nose Tei, they reverted to Japanese Ho-5 20mm cannon.

6 hours ago, Skyraider3D said:

Dang you're quick! The NMF definitely looks good.

4 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Nice clean model.  Looks very good.  :goodjob:

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you guys for both the kind words and information.  

Ernest