New boxing of Italeri Tornado

thierry laurent

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

It looks Italeri goes on milking the cow! The release of the IDS has been confirmed. It will have Luftwaffe and very probably Italian markings. I'm wondering if they will also add at least one German navy scheme.

Hi Thierry

Is it the ECR boxing you are referring to? - That has been out for a while now - or do they have a 3rd boxing in the works?

Tornado ECR Italeri 2517

/Niels

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

It looks Italeri goes on milking the cow! The release of the IDS has been confirmed. It will have Luftwaffe and very probably Italian markings. I'm wondering if they will also add at least one German navy scheme.

Where did you see this, Thierry?  Nothing on Italeri’s web page yet.

Been waiting for the Ian Duncan Smith boxing to use with my HaHen Marineflieger decals. Good news if true, especially if they could stretch to a pair of Kormorans on a dinky extra sprue.

That and an F.3 would do it.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
premature posting

11 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Where did you see this, Thierry?  Nothing on Italeri’s web page yet.

1 hour ago, Zola25 said:

Hi Thierry

Is it the ECR boxing you are referring to? - That has been out for a while now - or do they have a 3rd boxing in the works?

Tornado ECR Italeri 2517

/Niels

This is actually the kit with the 2520 reference. As you can see the ECR is the kit 2517. It was announced in an Italeri newsletter I saw this morning.

https://www.google.com/search?q=italeri+tornado+2520&oq=italeri+tornado+2520&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l2.16066j1j7&client=ms-android-oneplus-rvo3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Thanks Thierry. It does say new parts so maybe some cockpit tweaks at least. 

Looks like three grey birds and a classic Italian NATO grey/green job. 

Very pleasing.

Tony 

I’m sure the only change to the kit will be different IPs, at least the front IP.  It would be nice if they changed or added weapons, like putting in Kormorans, but I’d be surprised if they did.

Sadly, I’m betting they’ll omit the large tanks and RAF type belly pylons like they did in the IDS boxing, so you can’t do a Desert Storm GR.1.

Edited by Dave Williams

Is the IDS and the ECR not very similar?

I have built one of these - Converted the GR.4 into a GR.1. in Gulf War colors. I am not in any hurry to build another ^_^

I would consider if they released a GR.1, Then I would make an in-flight pose -  hauling axx over the desert floor with the Eduard JP233´s slung underneath

/Niels

7 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

Is the IDS and the ECR not very similar?

I have built one of these - Converted the GR.4 into a GR.1. in Gulf War colors. I am not in any hurry to build another ^_^

I would consider if they released a GR.1, Then I would make an in-flight pose -  hauling axx over the desert floor with the Eduard JP233´s slung underneath

/Niels

Yes, they are quite similar, but the IDS/GR.1 have a different front IP.  The large central navigation display is round instead of being square as in the ECR and GR.4.  Also, the ECR doesn’t have the guns.  Italeri has done both guns, and IIRC they were both included in the GR.4 kit, even though the GR.4 only needed one, but I think you only got one gun port in the ECR boxing, even though you needed zero for that version.  Presumably the IDS kit will go back to having two gun port inserts.  The IDS/GR.1 front IP has never been included in either of the existing boxings, although there is a blank spot in the middle of one of the sprues that could be used for it, or they might just replace the existing front IP.

26 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Yes, they are quite similar, but the IDS/GR.1 have a different front IP.  The large central navigation display is round instead of being square as in the ECR and GR.4.  Also, the ECR doesn’t have the guns.  Italeri has done both guns, and IIRC they were both included in the GR.4 kit, even though the GR.4 only needed one, but I think you only got one gun port in the ECR boxing, even though you needed zero for that version.  Presumably the IDS kit will go back to having two gun port inserts.  The IDS/GR.1 front IP has never been included in either of the existing boxings, although there is a blank spot in the middle of one of the sprues that could be used for it, or they might just replace the existing front IP.

True - I used the Aires cockpit for the GR.1 in my conversion. It fits quite well if anyone wants to have a go at it

jpNyWU.jpg

/Niels

That's good news Niels. Nice looking Tornado. 

I have the Aires cockpit set, so what people are saying is that, with that to hand, I'm still better off finding a GR.4 boxing to make a Desert Storm GR.1 or a Marineflieger IDS, as I'm likely to go pink in the absence of all-plastic or all-resin Kormorans.

Tony