1/35th question

D.B. Andrus

Guess what? Out of my memory, the Willy's jeep was at least released in 1/4, 1/6, 1/8, 1/12, 1/16, 1/18, 1/24, 1/35, 1/48, 1/56, 1/72, 1/76, 1/87 and even smaller scales! It also exists in 1/32. Monogram released it (no this is not a 1/35 kit) but it is close to useless because it is really terrible and possibly the worst of all jeep plastic kits. Seriously, I think most AFV modellers would not care if one was released in 1/32 for one simple reason: at least six producers have released 1/35 plastic jeeps! However, simply imagine the K2 ambulance released after more than 25 years of requests would have been released in 1/32! They would have shouted loudly for sure! So, finally, this goes down to existing model quality and prior availability.

I’m not a scale ayatollah.
When I want a subject, if it’s reasonably accurate and doesn’t exist anywhere else, I’d buy anyway notwithstanding the scale.

I’m not one to say that I don’t care for La Gioconda because the original painting is too small to my liking. ;)

Neither am I - for a few key subjects I would dip down into 1/48 eg a good Short Stirling, Short Sunderland (there isn’t one of either)

My main issue is 1/35 aircraft is just bs full stop, and I am not going to support that in any way

and the big frustration is that Border’s kits look pretty decent, so why the hell not make them in 1/32??

unless they have a 10-15 year horizon - because that’s how long it would take for 1/32 to ‘disappear’ and for everyone else to pile into 1/35 air - then their decision is commercially bonkers

there is no way anyone is going to convince me they would have sold at least 10 times as many kits if they had made their kits in 1/32 rather than 1/35

Whats wrong with Jerry Rutmans kit? :hmmm:

It's a very nice one and not more complicated than a Zoukai Mura kit. I think that answers the question about a "correct 1/32 scale P-51B". A little bit hard to get now (sorry, I've sold my copy to another LSP fellow here), but still out there :punk:

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

no, don't like the aircraft subject enough. However more to your question of scale I think this is an age thing for me. When I was young I would ignore scale and build based on subject, regardless of scale or other builds in my collection.  Now I only build 1/35 helicopters, 1/32 fixed wing aircraft, 1/35 AFV's, 1/12 cars and 1/72 submarines. Never vary or move from these scales with one exception - I build both 1/350 and 1/200 ships.  I like the look of my shelves of plastic to be consistent. I think I might have a touch of OCD to be honest or I've just fallen into a habit as I know this is my own brain setting these rules. It's also not as if I ever show off what I build. My hobby room is in my loft and nobody goes up there except me. I don't post photo's of my builds and I wouldn't dream of entering them into a competition.  So this scale rule of mine is illogical I know, but it's a rule that cannot be broken, I've tried - hence my stash now consists of more 1/72 and 1/48 unbuilt aircraft that I know will never touch !

5 hours ago, quang said:

When I want a subject, if it’s reasonably accurate and doesn’t exist anywhere else, I’d buy anyway notwithstanding the scale.

I’m not one to say that I don’t care for La Gioconda because the original painting is too small to my liking. ;)

it's that little smile, it draws you in..... 

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Guess what? Out of my memory, the Willy's jeep was at least released in 1/4, 1/6, 1/8, 1/12, 1/16, 1/18, 1/24, 1/35, 1/48, 1/56, 1/72, 1/76, 1/87 and even smaller scales! It also exists in 1/32. Monogram released it (no this is not a 1/35 kit) but it is close to useless because it is really terrible and possibly the worst of all jeep plastic kits. Seriously, I think most AFV modellers would not care if one was released in 1/32 for one simple reason: at least six producers have released 1/35 plastic jeeps! However, simply imagine the K2 ambulance released after more than 25 years of requests would have been released in 1/32! They would have shouted loudly for sure! So, finally, this goes down to existing model quality and prior availability.

Hi Thierry - thanks for that. You provided a better example than I did. :D 

It makes the same point though - many thanks.

Kind regards,

Paul

1 hour ago, npb748r said:

no, don't like the aircraft subject enough. However more to your question of scale I think this is an age thing for me. When I was young I would ignore scale and build based on subject, regardless of scale or other builds in my collection.  Now I only build 1/35 helicopters, 1/32 fixed wing aircraft, 1/35 AFV's, 1/12 cars and 1/72 submarines. Never vary or move from these scales with one exception - I build both 1/350 and 1/200 ships.  I like the look of my shelves of plastic to be consistent. I think I might have a touch of OCD to be honest or I've just fallen into a habit as I know this is my own brain setting these rules. It's also not as if I ever show off what I build. My hobby room is in my loft and nobody goes up there except me. I don't post photo's of my builds and I wouldn't dream of entering them into a competition.  So this scale rule of mine is illogical I know, but it's a rule that cannot be broken, I've tried - hence my stash now consists of more 1/72 and 1/48 unbuilt aircraft that I know will never touch !

nbp748r,

You gave me a wide smile with my coffee this morning.  I make very similar rules too. I build:

1/24 Cars

1/32 aircraft (so far but you never know if I might use a 1/35th aircraft for a diorama..)

1/35 Armour

1/350 Ships

My reaction to you allowing 1/200 ships into your modelling room was "The horror, the horror!":D

5 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Neither am I - for a few key subjects I would dip down into 1/48 eg a good Short Stirling, Short Sunderland (there isn’t one of either)

My main issue is 1/35 aircraft is just bs full stop, and I am not going to support that in any way

and the big frustration is that Border’s kits look pretty decent, so why the hell not make them in 1/32??

unless they have a 10-15 year horizon - because that’s how long it would take for 1/32 to ‘disappear’ and for everyone else to pile into 1/35 air - then their decision is commercially bonkers

there is no way anyone is going to convince me they would have sold at least 10 times as many kits if they had made their kits in 1/32 rather than 1/35

nmayhew

I wonder if this whole thing generates much 'sturm und drang' because it is not really about scale uniformity at all but investment? Investment by the manufacturers in a particular scale for them and our spend as modellers where we are 'invested' in a particular scale. Let's say an average builder on this site has 50 1/32 kits (easily hidden from one's significant other in one medium sized cupboard - don't ask me how I know this) and each kit has an average value of $100.00 USD: that is $5,000 spent on one scale right there...

I went and checked on Border's website to see if their model range had any coherence to it: so they have this small range of 1/35 aircraft but when I look at their vehicles they have nothing but heavy armour and certainly nothing you would pose next to any aircraft!