Infinity 1/32 Son-of-a B!tch 2nd Class

RadBaron

16 hours ago, airscale said:

very nice work Denzil :)

I love seeing kits like these taken on - for me they are the most rewarding to watch, and in a warped way the most fun to build :)

love what you are doing with it

Peter

Thankyou very much, Peter, your encouragement is most appreciated!

I think this kit is a real eye opener in terms of how our view of what an acceptable kit is, has shifted though I'll reserve my final thoughts on this topic until I've drug the beast across the finish line :D

5 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Great work so far; such a historical subject matter! Nice to see her coming along in 1/32 scale!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan, it is strange that such a historically significant aircraft has been shunned by manufacturers, especially when it looks like such a monster too!

On 10/17/2022 at 4:03 AM, quang said:

Strangely I’ve never seen this rustic aspect of the gun mount mentioned anywhere on the WWW. Even Trumpy’s C-team can do better.:P

I think it's pretty easy to gloss over minor detail inadequacies when compared to the rest of the kit :D

The comparison between this and all the "unbuildable" Trumpeter kits has crossed my mind during this build. For all their accuracy issues, at least Trumpy stuff will normally fit together well and feature crisp detail :D

Edited by RadBaron

Quick update, nothing exciting, just more of those much derided "Basic Modelling Skills" being put to use. 

I know I could have bought the separated control surfaces add-on for the kit, but where's the fun in that?

Elevators and horizontal stabs

20221014_202524

Also thinning the area around the wheel well. I made a cut line the thickness of the wing spar, then ground away everything forward of that. The plastic is nice and soft and VERY easy to carve and shape. 

20221014_173624

Denzil 

On 10/10/2022 at 6:07 PM, Panzerwomble said:

Odd coincidence that the original aircraft was a bit of a dog as well .

My ex-wife had a second cousin who flew them after flying Dauntlesses. He hated them. They were sluggish, had very high stick forces and were difficult to bring aboard. He always said if the Japs didn't kill him, that aircraft would. He managed to cheat both fortunately. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm away for 10 days and my post has moved 4 pages deep. Awesome to see people actively building :D

On 10/18/2022 at 10:19 AM, dutik said:

@RadBaron

Lurking in the darking, watching the drama unfold :ninja: Good job indeed! Hope that you will make a homerun :goodjob:

Regards

- dutik

Lurk away, mate, I'm always happy to have people living vicariously through my life :D

Working on this kit has had me thinking about discussions trying to pinpoint the reasons people build the subjects they build. 

One reoccurring point on the topic of Aircraft VS Tanks, was the amount of time and effort and lack of visual progress that goes into aircraft before you even look at a paintbrush, let alone use one in anger. 

This build has been exactly that experience for me. Hours upon hours of slogging through identifying parts on sprues, study references to determine correct location, trim/sand/file to fit, replace lost details. Secure parts in place. Repeat. 

And it's been a glorious experience to get it all together :thumbsup:

The plastic is not too soft, not too hard. It carves well, and responds perfectly to Tamiya extra thin and Plasti-weld. 

A large majority of the parts go into the cockpits, so after several weeks of the above, a busy (albeit not entirely accurate) cockpit emerges and everything is ready for some paint!

20221021_185604

20221027_105941

Eagle eyes readers will notice that there are more than just cockpit parts waiting for some paint in the above pics. More on that soon. 

Everything was primed with the usual Mr Surfacer Black, then MRP Interior Green, which had parts looking like this

received_526356842831848

Enthusiasm is flowing!

Denzil

Edited by RadBaron

Cockpit details:

The pilot's headrest didn't look right to my eye, looking like something from a modern fighter, and I couldn't see anything of this shape in period pictures, so I sanded it into a flat box shape and used a bit of sprue-goo to give it some texture.

20221026_154957

Next up, although it'll be difficult to see with the rear deck closed up, I filled in the depression where the horizontal stabilizers exit the fuselage. Quick work with plasticard. 

20221026_200352

Master gun barrels are a quick upgrade.

20221024_203337

The life-raft tube as supplied in the kit is surprisingly devoid of raft. 

Quick work with some miliput made for a completely adequate representation of a raft. Good enough for a closed up cockpit 

20221026_141343

The instrument panel and radio faces are supplied as clear plastic. Not my favorite way of depicting these because of the extra masking involved, but it does mean that you get some really nicely molded details. Decals are supplied for the gauges, to be applied to the rear of the faces. Unfortunately there are ejector pins aligned precisely with the back side of some of these dials, happily they were easily removed and the plastic polished back to crystal-clear with minimal effort.

20221024_210651

I suppose in hindsight I could have done my usual method of cutting out the dials Individually, but ad per the first post, I never claimed to ownership of many brain cells. 

Anyway, stuff got done :thumbsup:

A little bit of paint splashed about, an oil wash and a combination of kit and @airscaleplacards makes things look nice and busy.  A few more paint chips then the fuselage should be ready to close up!

20221029_232432

20221029_232556

Next up will be things like seat belts, instrument panel, radio faces etc.

Denzil