1/35 Boeing AH-64D/E Apache from Takom

Kagemusha

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

I just ordered my D model through Scale Hobbyist.  I have precious little reference material on these fling wings so I'm keen to know what everyone's using (besides Google). 

I use the Wings and Wheels book mostly, along with various walkarounds.  There’s an excellent one here of an E model, and walkarounds on Cybermodeler and Prime Portal. 

Got mine today! I’m not the most experienced modeler, but jeeeeezus those are the most intimidating set of instructions I’ve seen. Zero color call outs lol. The windshield wiper is three pieces. Only thing you don’t have to do is the wiring. Mostly. :o

I’m with juggernut—gonna need references…..LOTS of references. Anyone recommend a good ref book? Might be the first time I have to buy one for a build. 

28 minutes ago, Porkbits said:

Got mine today! I’m not the most experienced modeler, but jeeeeezus those are the most intimidating set of instructions I’ve seen. Zero color call outs lol. The windshield wiper is three pieces. Only thing you don’t have to do is the wiring. Mostly. :o

I’m with juggernut—gonna need references…..LOTS of references. Anyone recommend a good ref book? Might be the first time I have to buy one for a build. 

https://spruebrothers.com/wwpb021-wings-wheels-publications-apache-in-detail-part-2-ah-64d-e-and-idf-saraf-variants/

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

wow that's expensive for a book. It seems to be out of stock in nearly all on line shops I've looked at which is helpful as I can't afford that kind of money for a reference book for a model kit. It's either the book or the kit - I'm going with the kit and artistic licence ! :D

14 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Check out this thread: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/95815-anyone-planning-fixes-for-the-takom-ah-64-kits/

Lots of detailed info and a link to a dedicated build group on Facebook that includes pilots and groundcrew.

Cheers,  Tom

Can highly second the Facebook group if you're on the book of faces. They knowledge and reference material being tossed around there is top-notch.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

One of the big problems of Facebook, other than being Facebook, is trying to find specific information.  It’s good when a new kit comes out and people are dissecting it, but if you don’t start the kit for months or years later, it’s not easy to sort through all of the posts and pictures to find a particular bit of info you are looking for.  One nice thing about a book is you can pull it out when you need it and quickly find what you’re looking for.  Even conventional forums like this one, you can easily search and find threads on a particular kit or subject.

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

One of the big problems of Facebook, other than being Facebook, is trying to find specific information.  It’s good when a new kit comes out and people are dissecting it, but if you don’t start the kit for months or years later, it’s not easy to sort through all of the posts and pictures to find a particular bit of info you are looking for.  One nice thing about a book is you can pull it out when you need it and quickly find what you’re looking for.  Even conventional forums like this one, you can easily search and find threads on a particular kit or subject.

Best I can suggest Dave, for a group like that, is when you see something interesting, make a note of it. You can search within a specific group for stuff that's been posted.

However, I know this can be a slog. I find myself "right click, save as" quite often from Facebook, and placed into folders on my desktop under a tab called "Model Projects" so that I can find stuff later much more easily :-)

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

1 hour ago, Dennis7423 said:

However, I know this can be a slog. I find myself "right click, save as" quite often from Facebook, and placed into folders on my desktop under a tab called "Model Projects" so that I can find stuff later much more easily :-)

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Lol, I ended up getting an external SSD, primarily for storage of all the pictures I’ve come across.   Even on regular websites, I still “rcsa” any pics I think may be useful.   No website lasts forever. Even here on LSP, had a guy decide to rage quit and demanded all of his posts get deleted.  Lost a bunch of really unique pictures, not just his but from others who posted on “his” threads. 

I’m turning into a picture hoarder.   I’m long past the point of just copying pics for a current build or even one in the queue, now, any picture I find remotely interesting, I’ll save it - just in case.  

Gotta start scouring the interwebz for good Apache pictures.   Wish me luck lads.  

On 2/15/2023 at 12:27 AM, npb748r said:

wow that's expensive for a book. It seems to be out of stock in nearly all on line shops I've looked at which is helpful as I can't afford that kind of money for a reference book for a model kit. It's either the book or the kit - I'm going with the kit and artistic licence ! :D

The price of books has gone through the roof in the last few years , I like having books because then I can go back whenever I want to check up on things. I look at it this way; it's a one time purchase once I have it ,I have it , like tools.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been taking a closer look at my newly received E version.  It's a good kit but it does suffer from a few drawbacks.  First off - the instructions are horrible.   According to the instruction booklet, you only need 4 colors of paint for this kit.   Dark Green, Rubber Black, NATO Black and Gunmetal.  Hmm...   When it comes to optional parts (the TADS housing for one), there is no explanation for which part is specific to which version you are building.   Guess it's on the builder to figure it out.   

Also, noted more than a few seam lines than I would have expected but those are nothing more than time consuming to address.   

For aftermaket, I'm hoping we'll see the following:

Bulged wheels.  The kit ones are perfectly round but all the pictures I've seen of the real thing show the low-pressure tires to have noticeable bulging (it appears that the incoming Meng kit will provide these).

Correct anti-collision lights (the ones mounted on the engine exhausts are noticeably basic. 

Seatbelts (or my preference - resin seats with the belts molded in place.

Cockpit decals (the kit provides decals for the display screens (which are only appropriate if you have the crew onboard and the aircraft is powered up) but neglects some of the prominent cockpit markings including the very visible "Do Not Grab" markings on the glareshields).

The helmet trackers (although it sounds like this is being worked on currently), however, it seems that the latest Echo version do not use these (again, it would have been nice to see some guidance on this in the instructions).

The latest MANPADS jamming system that the US Army is introducing.  This system is mounted on the wingtips, as seen below. 

ah-64-circm-defensive-upgrade2.jpg?auto=

Spike ER missiles and the guidance antennas (these are being added to US Army Apaches within the year).

The later version UAV rotor mast control antenna.   The kit comes with the FCR radar, a blanking plate and the earlier UAV control antenna (although this isn't referenced in the instructions). 

It'd be nice to see some M4 carbines in their stowage racks.

Lastly, the kit decal options are a bit underwhelming, but it sounds like some folks are working on this.

That's my wish list, obviously some of my picks aren't critical, unless one is building the absolute latest V6 version of the US Army's AH-64E.

Edited by John1

13 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

Does the E boxing come with the Longbow Dome for the top of the Rotor Mast because it seems that the British versions are using it.

It's present in the AH-64E Apache Guardian kit, I would hope the other E kit would have it as well but am not sure.   If the Brits aren't using the upwards facing exhausts on their Apaches, then stay away from the Guardian kit because it doesn't offer the earlier style engine exhausts.