F-4 Aftermarket Canopy

John1

I recall reading something here about a resin canopy set for the Tamiya F-4 series.    Can't find anything now though, not sure if it was in one of the posts that ex-member Jennings decided to pull down when he ran out of here?   Regardless, does anyone have info on this set?   I'm particularly interested in any first-hand experiences / product reviews. 

TIA,

John

1 hour ago, John1 said:

I recall reading something here about a resin canopy set for the Tamiya F-4 series.    Can't find anything now though, not sure if it was in one of the posts that ex-member Jennings decided to pull down when he ran out of here?   Regardless, does anyone have info on this set?   I'm particularly interested in any first-hand experiences / product reviews. 

TIA,

John

I have a review almost finished, it's a great set, I'll get a shift on and finish it tomorrow.

Gary / Kage - if I could ask - how's the fit of the resin?   How's the clarity compared to the kit parts?  I've always been a bit nervous when it comes to clear resin casting.

On a related note, anyone know if there are masks out there for this kit?

John.

I have not used either set as it wasn't available when I built my first F-4J,  however there is a small 'lug' to cut off as one would expect with a resin AM clear part. Clarity looks excellent on mine and given Ali's QC, I am confident it will remain so. Irrespective if you use the Tamiya part, the 'scar' will always be there and no matter how many polishes and 'Klear' dips I gave mine, it is still there and the eye goes straight to it when you know it is there.

Regarding masking, the framework on a F-4 is about as easy as it gets with Tamiya tape and a sharp blade and so I imagine a specific AM designed set won't be necessary. I certainly didn't use one on mine and masked it myself and mine came out perfectly with about 45 mins of work.

HTH

Gary

6 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Thank you for the quote Jeroen 

Here is a direct link to my product John, https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/mcdonnell-douglas-phantom-replacement-canopy-set-for-tamiya-kits

cheers Ali

Hey Ali,

Any possibilty for a Revell replacement set..?

Dan.

• 2 months later...

I ordered my canopy set from Ali.  Received it within a week or so and can vouch that the quality is outstanding.   Very clear resin, fantastic detail.  Also included are the rear structures inside each canopy, which are missing on the kit parts.   I can also vouch that Ali's customer service is outstanding.   I was missing a small part and he promptly put a replacement in the mail.  Order with full confidence. 

One question - any recommendations on what to use for gluing the windscreen to the fuselage?  There is no framework at the bottom of the windscreen side panels so I can't afford to make a mess.   Will standard superglue result in any fogging issues?   Also, is it possible to polish these parts for a bit more shine or would that result in potential damage?  I'm a big fan of Novus plastic polish for my regular clear plastic parts.   

Any suggestions would be welcome. 

My last resin canopy I dipped in Future and could not believe the difference it made. 
As far as glue, I used Formula 500 made for RC airplanes. It’s a white glue that dries clear and had a “rubbery” of flexible  texture to it when dry.