1/48 SB2C Helldiver--Attack on Yokosuka and IJN Battleship Nagato, 18 July 1945 (finished)

easixpedro

Working this small, you are better off giving the impression something exists than actually trying to model it.   Building details are a good example. Check out how some of the really great aviation artists treat buildings, equipment and such in the backgrounds of their paintings.  Sometimes the suggestion that something - like windows - is there is more effective visually than trying to capture every tiny detail.  A little artistic license does wonders; snapshots in time don’t always have to be photo perfect to convey what you are trying to capture.

4 hours ago, Greg W said:

Awesome diorama! Alliance Model Works makes beautiful photo etch ship yard cranes. Maybe there is something in the line up that you can adapt for your dio.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Games-toys/Alliance-Model-Works-196817487006530/posts/

Thanks for the tip! I looked, but no joy. It's a problem of my own creation unfortunately.  The Nagato print is 1/1800. Not a real ship scale, but I did it to fit the entire scene onto a manageable base. I looked into 3D printed cranes at Shapeways too, but they looked pretty hokey. In the end, I found some PE from one of those stainless steel model kits. That will likely be my next post. Its not perfect,  but considering the big cran is less than 2cm, figure its a good representation.  As OBG points out, sometimes just getting a good approximation is the right approach. 

On 6/29/2022 at 8:44 AM, John1 said:

You do a great job on your builds Pete, I love how you take the time to add in all these historical details.

Thanks!  One of the things that I think makes our little corner of the interwebz so unique is that people actually share things and help each other (and hat tip to the mods for that as well). We all gaze in amazement at the truly special builds being shared regularly here, myself included. What really amazes me though is the amount of effort that has to go into taking pictures and uploading and then sharing them (publicly and not really in a 'for profit' sense). We're all learning stuff on here that makes us better and it's what makes this place special.  So if I can add anything to it, happy to do so and give back just a little of the incredible amount I've soaked up over the years...

Off my soapbox now.  Ordered some 1/350 scale planes yesterday that will hopefully arrive before the long weekend.  Hope to make some good progress and maybe get 'er done in time for nats. Fortunately it's just down the road so I can literally take it while the paints drying!

-Peter

Ok update for the few folks following along. 

Have the buildings and scenery done. Up next is a couple of Destroyers and about 33.28 mini subs. You can see one of the DDs being built it was close to being finished when the strike happened. The ship that was moored alongside her was hit and sunk. The other one I have to make was apparently a AAA ship and was moored along the sea wall.

Have to make 2 more cranes too, then finish off the Helldiver. Need to add the radio antenna and the 1K pounder. Still debating the best way to add the detritus etc that appears all over the port.

Anyway,  here's some pics!

20220703_093637

20220703_093616

20220703_093446

20220703_093052

From above, it looks just like the vision I had in my head, so pretty pleased with that! The smaller Helldiver and Hellcats really add to the forced perspective. 

More soon!

-Peter

Thanks you guys. Motivation for sure. Hopefully will get some photos tonight...small progress on small Destroyers and the mini-subs. Those are about a centimeter each, so has taken some time to make the 11 I've managed so far.

Ok, as promised...pichurs! 

You can see the new cranes I built as I wasn't happy with the old one. These look more like the real deal. There's 2 different classes of DD and the mini subs sprinkled throughout. Need to give these new parts a wash to blend 'em in.

20220707_193124

Also, someone was kind enough to PM me and suggest a heading change for the Hellcats. I'll admit I was skeptical,  but just a 5 degree heading  change and BOOM, they pop out of the scene and add another layer of perspective. Color me floored, and a good reminder that composition is everything! 

20220707_194459

And finally a photo from a different side. I'm amazed at how cool it looks in pictures. 

20220707_194400

Up next I need to make another crane for the middle pier, and a whole bunch of boats tied up to it.

Thinking up ways to make the flotsam thats in the dry docks. Think that will help fill in the scene and break up the blue. 

More soon! Thanks for the comments, you guys always motivate me!

-Peter