A Pair of Camaros--Dual 1970 Camaro Build

mustang1989

Well guys…the Mustang build, as much as I hate to say it, had to come to an end. I’ve gotta say that I really enjoyed that build alot. I had been doing alot of pondering about what was next up on the bench and had it all narrowed down to three but couldn’t make my mind up on what I wanted to build out of the three. It was really a source of frustration in a small way because I just couldn’t make a decision. So…to end that I decided not to do ANY of those but to build something that I’ve been wanting to build for a very long time… A 1970 Camaro with a big block in it and a Z-28 side by side. These kits are said to be a very difficult ones to work with but we’ll see what happens. I’m up for the challenge…

These cars hold great interest to me because #1…The Baldwin offering has a big block in it and #2 The 1970 Z-28 was almost my first car…till dad stopped it. Smart guy because I probably would’ve been a grease stain on the highway at an early age.

Now on the bench:

Baldwin Camaros are just evil …sporting a 500+ hp 454 and covering the 1/4 mile in the 11 second range. I’ve already got the MCW Forest Green paint for this car.

The real thing:

The Z-28 is a beautiful car as well sporting a 350 small block. Not as nasty as the Baldwin Camaro but still packs a decent wallop. I’ll be going with Cranberry Red for this one and will be turning to MCW for the color.

Stay tuned gang…...I hope to do these two cars the justice they deserve.

I drove a 1970 split bumper Camaro from St. Louis to Charleston, SC in about 1985.  The throttle stuck wide open at one point but I was able to recognize the issue as I rowed through the three gears.  It was just sticky.  The rest of the trip was without incident.  

On 5/18/2022 at 4:07 PM, jenshb said:

Got the Baldwin Motion kit in the stash.  Looking forward to see how you solve the white trim - the dark green metallic is a gorgeous colour.

Thanks potna! The white trim does look daunting as does figuring out the headlight buckets. I'm doing alot of research at this point to see how both are handled. I've got my own ideas but it doesn't hurt to see how others have approached the problematic areas of these kits.

22 hours ago, MVTB said:

Following!

Glad to have you along bud. 

18 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

I drove a 1970 split bumper Camaro from St. Louis to Charleston, SC in about 1985.  The throttle stuck wide open at one point but I was able to recognize the issue as I rowed through the three gears.  It was just sticky.  The rest of the trip was without incident.  

I test drove the one that I would've hoped to have been mine. It only had a 350 in it but hey....it was a Z. It just felt good to drive one.

16 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

One of my favorite cars at the VIR Gold Cup vintage races was a silver split bumper ‘70 Camaro. I think they said it had a 305 in it. It sounded soooo good at full speed down the front straight!

Ben

They are beautiful cars alright.

14 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

The 70 1/2 Z28 and 1974 Trans Am 455 are probably the two nicest F body muscle cars ever! Nice project!

Right there with you on that one. A T/A with a 455 in it......the possibilities......

On 5/19/2022 at 12:48 PM, Citadelgrad said:

Well, around that same time I was driving around Charleston and Summerville in this ‘73 Z-28. I sourced the split bumper front end from a bone yard though.   It’s the one car I really regret giving up.  

wPFvYE.jpg

• 3 months later...

'Bout time I got myself back in here and gave you guys some updates. 

Starting on the engine build for the Z-28. Here's the base engine completed. I'll be going with a MAD pre-wired distributor on this to cut down on time spent drilling the distributor and putting the wires in.

Base chassis all laid out ready for painting. Actually, this aint a bad chassis having quite a number of parts. Per some of the reviews that I've read on these kits, I'll be attaching the front subframe assy at a later stage in the build for ease of assembly.

Edited by mustang1989

The rear part of the chassis is about 70% finished now. Still have to install the rear sway bar, shock mounts and shocks but we're getting there. I had to take a break in the progress and narrow the rear end and arch the springs just a tad to achieve the stance I was looking for in the rear. I merely cut off the axle ends, shaved each end of the axle back about 3/16" , drilled holes in the axle and in the axle mounting ends and pinned them back to the axle. I've already done a test run and the wheel/ tire assemblies are right where I want em now. 

OjWhV4.jpg