Trumpeter buys KH / PM molds

KAGNEW

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

???  Is Trumpeter planning on releasing a 1/48 Su-25?  With the new Zvezda kit out, it seems we already have a decent quarter-scale Frogfoot.

KH had 48th Su-25 ready for 2022. Trumpeter buys KH = Trumpeter releases the Frogfoot.

Zvezda - even though shape-wise will be decent - surface-wise will be C- at best. As always.

14 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

KH had 48th Su-25 ready for 2022. Trumpeter buys KH = Trumpeter releases the Frogfoot.

Zvezda - even though shape-wise will be decent - surface-wise will be C- at best. As always.

Agreed. And, KH had a Ka-52 in 1/48 ready to launch as well. I'll be looking forward to that one!

Screenshot 2022-03-27 140738

Screenshot 2022-03-27 140703

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone heard anymore updates on this ?? Even tho I’m building a 1/35 UH1Y Venom kit bash style I’d be ready to buy new kit asap if they release the 1/35 scale Huey kits that kitty hawk was about to release. 

I would not hold my breath for such kits. Trumpyboss will first re-release the KH kits as they will need some ROI. If you look at the Trumpeter LSP releases of the past decade, very few of them appeared out of the kits already in development more than ten years ago! Globally, we got the F-117, MiG-29 series, the B-24 and A-26. Even if I'm possibly forgetting one or two releases, this shows you the situation and I do not believe this will change noticeably.

• 1 month later...

In 1/48 I'm hoping they might tweak the Voodoo kits, the RF-101C in particular: the clear parts need to be re-engineered to include the currently opaque tail light E-16 on clear sprues GP or GP1, to make the ventral sensor window part 3 on  GP1 fit flush with the fuselage, and to sort out the inlet profile — especially what to do with the added parts on the wing sprue (or whether it's better to simply cut the inlets back as Quang did).

I bought two kits as I knew I'd screw up one set of clear parts and so will likely end up with one built as a G/H by default. 

In 1/32 I'm waiting for repops of the Mirage 2000C and Sabre Dog, but it would be good to see a production MiG-29K naval variant based on Trumpy's quite nice Fulcrum family. I have two of the prototype single seater Ks (a bit enthusiastic, I know, but one's destined to get kitbashed with a Revell UB to do an Armenian-based trainer with a big cat on the tail). 

What we really need re:Trumpeter kits is new resin canopies for the otherwise quite nice A-7D/E and Flanker B kits. Zactomodels' offerings seem long OOP and I'd prefer resin over vacforms any day. Might actually get me moving again on the pair of part-built SLUFs languishing in the study.

Tony  

8 minutes ago, Tony T said:

In 1/48 I'm hoping they might tweak the Voodoo kits, the RF-101C in particular: the clear parts need to be re-engineered to include the currently opaque tail light E-16 on clear sprues GP or GP1, to make the ventral sensor window part 3 on  GP1 fit flush with the fuselage, and to sort out the inlet profile — especially what to do with the added parts on the wing sprue (or whether it's better to simply cut the inlets back as Quang did).

I bought two kits as I knew I'd screw up one set of clear parts and so will likely end up with one built as a G/H by default. 

Tony  

The canopy also needs reprofiled, as it suffers from the common Chinese fault of being too flattened and squashed. Ridiculously so as comparison with the Monogram/Koster hybrid shows.

Of course, they won't do this.

26 minutes ago, Chek said:

The canopy also needs reprofiled, as it suffers from the common Chinese fault of being too flattened and squashed. Ridiculously so as comparison with the Monogram/Koster hybrid shows.

I can live with that. Canopy's being shut on mine in any case. The rest I'm going to fix myself but I am just thinking of some tearful 9 yr-old kid who doesn't understand why some stuff doesn't fit: whatever people think of Trumpeter's accuracy their kits do go together rather well. Maybe they'll skip on known Kitty Hawk dogs to maintain their reputation. The Foxbat moulds will make interesting door stops.

Waiting for the 1/32 jet repops mainly as it'll stoke up the aftermarket people.

Tony 

3 hours ago, Chek said:

“Common Chinese fault?” Dude, inaccuracy in kit sets is a global phenomenon. Why try to paint it as a specific national trait? I don’t get it.

Adam

3 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I'd personally like to see the Kingfisher reappear, as I never got one initially.

That would be good. Hopefully the quality control will be better, if it is re-popped. Mine has a small superficial ripple in one fuselage half and a cracked canopy section, despite the canopy being individually boxed. Another LSP member had the same issue with the fuselage but it was easily fixed. I’ll replace the sliding rear canopy section with formed clear plastic. 

Adam

2 hours ago, adameliclem said:

“Common Chinese fault?” Dude, inaccuracy in kit sets is a global phenomenon. Why try to paint it as a specific national trait? I don’t get it.

Adam

Because they persist with squashed canopies.