Jetmads has Announced an F-22A Raptor in 1/32 Scale

LSP_Kevin

Regarding the Raptor. When I worked on the base at MCAS Miramar I was once driven across the tarmac to go look at a jobsite and there sitting in the sun were 3 F-22s. I had my phone with me but decided I liked my job more than I needed a picture. Was probably 30 ft away as we drove past.

Dan

12 hours ago, Dandiego said:

Regarding the Raptor. When I worked on the base at MCAS Miramar I was once driven across the tarmac to go look at a jobsite and there sitting in the sun were 3 F-22s. I had my phone with me but decided I liked my job more than I needed a picture. Was probably 30 ft away as we drove past.

Dan

I've been closer, but not by much and not for long.
F-117 too, but there were barriers 20' away, so yeah.

For the latter one, the coating is still secret. leading and trailing edge materials as well. They are not made by anything known to mortals. 

22 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Blackbird you can go and touch easily within the US. Thus, you can scan using lasers.
F-22 however, you cannot. Nor F-117 for that matter. Latter one is a looooooooong story, but trust me, you do not have access to the real deal. Cannot see a single reason why would F-22 will be shared voluntarily especially with modeling company :) :) :)

Based on very limited acquaintance with Belenko’s ride, Hasegawa did a pretty damn good job with their classic 1/72nd MiG-25. Kitting one was a gamble but they spotted the niche, had the talent for it and it still holds up well. 

Cheers,

Adam

48 minutes ago, adameliclem said:

Based on very limited acquaintance with Belenko’s ride, Hasegawa did a pretty damn good job with their classic 1/72nd MiG-25. Kitting one was a gamble but they spotted the niche, had the talent for it and it still holds up well. 

Cheers,

Adam

Japan man. What can I tell ya :)

No need to get very close to an operational Raptor to make measurements, it is already on display in the USAF Museum in Ohio. This is a real flying machine, from which the shape and outlines can be accurately extracted. Some surface details must have been purposedly removed during restoration but what is displayed should be enough for able designers to create an accurate kit. 

The aircraft on display (S/N 91-4003) was one of nine F-22s built for Engineering, Manufacture and Development (EMD) testing, and it rolled off the Lockheed Martin assembly line in Georgia on May 22, 1999. Assigned to the 412th Test Wing at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., the aircraft made its first flight on March 6, 2000. After completing its phase in the test program, this aircraft came to the museum in January 2007. It is painted to represent an F-22A flown by the 1st Fighter Wing at Langley Air Force Base, Va.  

080116-F-1234-P-003-1.jpg

6 hours ago, mattcour said:

No need to get very close to an operational Raptor to make measurements, it is already on display in the USAF Museum in Ohio. This is a real flying machine, from which the shape and outlines can be accurately extracted. Some surface details must have been purposedly removed during restoration but what is displayed should be enough for able designers to create an accurate kit. 

The aircraft on display (S/N 91-4003) was one of nine F-22s built for Engineering, Manufacture and Development (EMD) testing, and it rolled off the Lockheed Martin assembly line in Georgia on May 22, 1999. Assigned to the 412th Test Wing at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., the aircraft made its first flight on March 6, 2000. After completing its phase in the test program, this aircraft came to the museum in January 2007. It is painted to represent an F-22A flown by the 1st Fighter Wing at Langley Air Force Base, Va.  

080116-F-1234-P-003-1.jpg

Wouldn't count on that. As mentioned above, seen several F-117s some in museums. They are not 1:1 with the original. I know latter one for a fact.

10 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Wouldn't count on that. As mentioned above, seen several F-117s some in museums. They are not 1:1 with the original. I know latter one for a fact.

Interesting...I was going to say I was at the Air Force Museum years ago and I was able to walk up to the F-117 and put my hands on the wings LE and gave it a squeeze.  It was very "soft".

50 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Interesting...I was going to say I was at the Air Force Museum years ago and I was able to walk up to the F-117 and put my hands on the wings LE and gave it a squeeze.  It was very "soft".

Don't know where you did that, but my info is directly from the source /USAF/ and my guess would be that they changed something before exposing it to the public.

Been done before.

If you touched the real one it seems rather irresponsible on their end :)

5 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Don't know where you did that, but my info is directly from the source /USAF/ and my guess would be that they changed something before exposing it to the public.

Been done before.

If you touched the real one it seems rather irresponsible on their end :)

Like you said, I wonder it it was the real thing now.  I'm thinking at least 15 years ago?? Maybe 18 or longer.....?  I'll just say it was a looonnnnggg time ago.  According to the Museum webpage, they received it in 1991.  Man, I really feel old now. :wacko:

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Like you said, I wonder it it was the real thing now.  I'm thinking at least 15 years ago?? Maybe 18 or longer.....?  I'll just say it was a looonnnnggg time ago.  According to the Museum webpage, they received it in 1991.  Man, I really feel old now. :wacko:

I was on an airshow 18 years ago. F-117 was surrounded by a wire-fence and 2 guys guarding. No close encounters. It was easier to get to the B-1 than this. And some of us did use that option :ph34r:

So no chance to be the real deal I think.

You know, now that you put it that way a few years later I went to an air show where one was on display just like you mention it.  Roped off, armed guards. I did kind of find it odd I could walk up to one in the museum and put my hands on it while this one was under heavy guard.  I was thinking it was all for show.