RA-5C Vigilante - scratchprinted

Starfighter

Thank you all - as usual, your comments are highly appreciated! It's a very big aircraft, hence the very long printing time. Printing the fuselage takes over 120 hours as well, so doing an entire "kit" takes several weeks. Luckily, my printers are well dialed in and I know more or less where to place supports in order to avoid failed prints. 

2 hours ago, Derek B said:

Wow, that is amazing Ben, well done Sir! (there is something very F-15ish about the shape of that aircraft!).

Derek

There is something very Viggie-ish about F-15s.  There, I fixed it for you.  The Vigilante is a much older design than the F-15 and pioneered some of the aerodynamics and many of the systems so common today.  It was as if NAA forgot to read the rule book and did whatever they wanted to with great success.

4 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

There is something very Viggie-ish about F-15s.  There, I fixed it for you.  The Vigilante is a much older design than the F-15 and pioneered some of the aerodynamics and many of the systems so common today.  It was as if NAA forgot to read the rule book and did whatever they wanted to with great success.

Indeed, I am aware of this history, but I fully agree with you.

:thumbsup:

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

15 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

I was almost gonna make a comment that McD used that knowledge when they swallowed up NAA, but it was Boeing that bought both companies to become the behemoth that it is today. Corporate histories can be kind of confusing with all the mergers etc. (and that's before lawyers get involved over who has rights to what).

Break Break

Ben, that looks fabulous. You nailed it. Makes me want to do one gear up over one of those ground blur bases...such a sleek airframe needs that type of display. 

-Peter 

Beautiful. 

The Vigilante is just one of "those shapes". A shape that looks good from any angle, that looks like it's going Mach2 even at standstill, that remains modern even today. 

She'd be in my top10 of great aircraft for sure.

You've really captured the elegant look of the shape Ben. Very cool. Even wider with the wingtips on?

How much surface finishing will be involved? It looks pretty good already in your photos. 

Am I correct in thinking this will be a unique 1 off or are you planning to offer kits?

P.s, F-111 next? They experimented with a navalised version I think.......:whistle:

Edited by geedubelyer

And I was already impressed by the size of the Trumpy 1/48 Vigilant... Looking fabulous my friend !!! Looking forward to see this beast in the near future during a modelling-show in Belgium. Please DO give me a head's-up when You put her on display !!!

Kind regards,

Rudy

Edited by Shujaa