X-15A-2

Dekon

For the seam, maybe glue one side together making sure to align it as cleanly as possible. Once dry, do the same for the other side. If there are any small gaps, I'd use an acrylic putty like Vallejo or Perfect Plastic putty so you can wipe off the excess with water and not need to sand too much. 

Carl

35 minutes ago, mattcour said:

Cool business here!!

The kit comes with the very large tanks I guess, right?

This is the early release, it does not have the external tanks.  I wish it did, but for the super cheap money I paid, beggars can't be choosers. 

Hopefully these pictures will be better.  Used my digital Canon Rebel for these. 

Ok, so I am at the point where I need to bust out the air brush and add some color.  Here is where I am at so far.

Cockpit

F5lSWhW.jpg

I am on the fence about making the handles that go on the resin pieces that stick up above the side panels.  Those were missing when I bought the kit.  I really do not think you will be able to see them through the small windows and the pilot figure in there.

Here is the seat.

6MdcyEE.jpg

Edited by Dekon

I also worked on the the fins.  I chose to use the larger lower fin that was used on the early flights.  Apparently it cause instability so after a certain point they omitted using the piece that was jettisoned just before landing.  The fit of the upper fin was awful.  I decided to remove the ribbing on the fins to make it easier to sand.  I'll add those back with some sheet styrene after the fins are sanded down.  Of note, I do find it odd that the lower fin is open in the back exposing the air brake mechanism.  I figured traveling at hyper speeds there would be a cover behind it.  Both of these are still works in progress.

Upper fin

vkwOfwz.jpg 

Lower fin

CN8gllz.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2022 at 9:02 AM, Dekon said:

LOL, it's also like that because my son also builds on it too.  So it sees constant use.

A stained, chipped, carved up cutting mat is a sign of of a proficient, prodigious modeler!:D Mine’s clean & pristine:blush:

OK, so had a little time to work on the seat and cockpit.  Not going crazy with painting on these.  With the canopy closed, you are not seeing much inside.

So here is the seat.  Had to remove the cushion from the seat to get the pilot to sit lower, but it looks like I am going to have to sand off some of his butt to get him to sit lower.

C4MMRIJ.jpg

Here you can see where I chopped off the cushion after I glued it to the seat.  Luckily, the pilot covers the blemishes where I removed it so I didn't sand it down.

INScyEP.jpg

Edited by Dekon

Here is the cockpit.  Looking at photos online, seems the switches were black.  I scratch built the "handles" on each side as those were MIA form the kit.  I wasn't going to make them, but I did in the end.  Gives it a busier look.

Q27cWd1.jpg

And a final shot with the seat and pilot just placed in.  You can see how high he sits, so I am going to have to address that.  I think his helmet should be no higher than the headrest on the seat.

RxlubOG.jpg

Up next is going to be mounting the cockpit into the upper fuselage half and finishing off the instrument panel.  I checked and should be able to vary from the instructions and put the instrument panel in after the seat and pilot are mounted.  I think it will be easier that way.  As for painting the pilot, I know the suits were silver so I am thinking of going with a base coat of a darker silver and then dry brushing a chrome silver over the top to get some tonal variations. And then maybe a dark wash.

Thanks for looking!