Airfix Announcement - 1/24 the other one

Scotsman

For those who might have missed it , Airfix also announced the re-release of the original 1/24th Harrier GR1 , now I'm pretty sure it'll be the original plastic with some nice new markings, but hopefully this time there be some Aftermarket to help this poor old beast tp something approaching modern standards - Airscale are you listening!

22 minutes ago, Scotsman said:

Airscale are you listening!

this is the most sublime timing going...

I have just mastered a set for the Harrier that I started years ago, the decals are being printed and I have a test shot PE

VzNoRs.jpg

qTWh5v.jpg

oZvPAk.jpg

Should be ready at the end of Feb :)

Only thing is I have lost the kit part I mastered from so I need a kit panel to make sure the test shot works - if anyone has one they can lend me for a couple of weeks they get a free set or two :)

Just PM me if interested - first come first served

Peter

I bet more than a few 3D printed accessories will be showing up.  

We can but hope 

Flightpath still have their GR3 upgrade set available also.

It's a marvellous set for those of you who are Origami masters, for the rest of us , Ugh!

Peter That's Unfrigging unbelievable!  - I might be able to help with the IP , I've got a a couple of part built GR's lying about, (I bought an abandoned projects in years gone by 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:14 AM, airscale said:

I have just mastered a set for the Harrier that I started years ago, the decals are being printed and I have a test shot PE

VzNoRs.jpg

qTWh5v.jpg

oZvPAk.jpg

Only thing is I have lost the kit part I mastered from so I need a kit panel to make sure the test shot works - if anyone has one they can lend me for a couple of weeks they get a free set or two :)

Peter

Peter, check your inbox. :)

one of  the worst kits ever?

Well "Worst" is something of a Spectrum,  The Surface detail is rather crude ,I'll give you that , and yes the cockpit detail is weak, but since that looks like that's being addressed (see above) Meh  , most of the smaller pieces are also crude.

However it's accurate in outline and the it can be built into a accurate model , and you can't say that about some of modern kits, (cough Trumpeter Cough)

If you compare the Harrier to the Hellcat of new Spitfire yes it needs work but the original model was released in 1972 or so I'm prepared to cur it some slack and I's worth the effort 

On 1/10/2022 at 5:14 PM, airscale said:

VzNoRs.jpg

qTWh5v.jpg

oZvPAk.jpg

Peter

Superb Peter, well done! (I did something very similar during the mid-80's, albeit in 1/1 scale on a Harrier cockpit section during my RAF Exhibition Production Flight model making days!)

Derek

That's a lovely piece of work and I hope it does well for you.

The Airfix 1/24 Harrier being re-released this year is showing as £96.99 UK retail (more expensive that the 2022 tool 1/24 Spitfire IX). Just shy of 100 quid for a 48 years old kit which absent tons of AM and scratch work, looks like a toy when built.....?

You have to compliment Airfix for their optimism if nothing else as I have seen people unable to offload these 1/24 Harrier kits (of all versions) at shows and club meets in years gone by for half that price. Still, each to their own and all that.

Gary