Roden and Mengnuts Dr1 pros and cons

Pup7309

Straight out of the box, the Roden kit is fine but the Meng is better. You can make a good model from the Roden kit, and if you use Aviattic enhancements it'll be a lot better https://www.aviattic.co.uk/132-accessories.html. The key weakness of the Roden kit is the crappy decals.

If money is no object, go for the Meng over the Roden.

Edited by vince14

Definitely the Meng kills the Roden on fine details, better pit, etc. but the Roden still is decent and I suppose if you can find it dirt cheap it would be a way to go if price is the concern. The only "major" issue with the Roden IIRC is that the horizontal tail has this strange depressed area in the middle of it that you would need to fill. I have the Roden about 1/2 done - really need to get back on it - it is a good simple kit I feel.

Aviattic has some nice improvement parts as noted - the cowl is very nice and improves the "face" of the DrI which is important IMHO.

15 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Hi just curious if anyone has built both kits? I I’m building Meng Dr1 and heard Roden ok. Are there any pros and cons you found, and should I just stick with the Meng. Just to mention I would be buying various adds that go with Roden kit- cowl being the main one. 
thanks !  :D

Save your money mate...   Avoid Roden unless they offer something that isn't offered by anybody else.

I don't know why people are so down on Roden (apart from the decals which can have a tendancy to shatter upon contact with water). Are they as good as Tamiya or WNW? No, but they are all perfectly buildable with the simple application of some basic modelling skills, and if you throw in a few aftermarket goodies you'll end up with a very respectable result.

I'm willing to bet that most people on this forum wouldn't be able to tell a built Roden Dr.I from a built Meng Dr.I if you placed them side-by-side.

8 hours ago, vince14 said:

I don't know why people are so down on Roden (apart from the decals which can have a tendancy to shatter upon contact with water). Are they as good as Tamiya or WNW? No, but they are all perfectly buildable with the simple application of some basic modelling skills, and if you throw in a few aftermarket goodies you'll end up with a very respectable result.

I'm willing to bet that most people on this forum wouldn't be able to tell a built Roden Dr.I from a built Meng Dr.I if you placed them side-by-side.

It is first a matter of evaluation point. Roden kits are not 'bad' as such. However, from a comparison standpoint with the Meng kit, there is no doubt the Roden Dr.I has no advantage. If you build both OOTB and know a little bit the Dr.I you will see easily the difference even if both are triplanes!

I have the Meng kit with the Richthofen bust and the Roden kit with every aftermarket resin, photo etch and decal product issued by Aviattic plus more from Eduard and Master machine guns. I intend to build both. The Roden kit will be the “regular” Dr.I and the Meng kit will be the “Voss” early version. In my own personal opinion, Roden wings are better because the Meng wings, with all their snazzy and snooty airs of “superior pedigree”, are bent like bananas. I know that they can be “fixed” with hot water and that Meng may be able to send me a replacement, but there should be no need for that.
Radu