Mengnut Wings Fokker Dr. 1

Wolf Buddee

Great work, Wolf!

I am going through the 1/24th version and it is interesting the similarities and differences. I am curios: does the 1/32nd kit include flare rack and flare guns? Does it say where thy are supposed to go? The 1/24th kit has several parts included with no description or where they may go. Parts include two more prop versions beside the Axial and Heine, two different flare guns, the flare rack, another instrument or two, at least. Makes me miss the WNW instruction books...

Superb as ever Wolf and so good to see you back at the bench again working your magic! 

The build sequence looks much like the D.VII so far including the same pitfalls,  The Archer sticking decals will be my choice when I get on to mine.

Regards. Andy 

On 7/8/2021 at 3:00 PM, LSP_Ray said:

Great work, Wolf!

I am going through the 1/24th version and it is interesting the similarities and differences. I am curios: does the 1/32nd kit include flare rack and flare guns? Does it say where thy are supposed to go? The 1/24th kit has several parts included with no description or where they may go. Parts include two more prop versions beside the Axial and Heine, two different flare guns, the flare rack, another instrument or two, at least. Makes me miss the WNW instruction books...

Hi Ray,

Yes, the flare rack and gun are included in the 1/32nd kit as well. Unfortunately the placement of the flare gun and it’s holder are rather vague. Luckily my particular subject doesn’t appear the have either one so it makes that bit rather easy for me.

………..and I heartily agree regarding the instructions. Meng’s instructions are nothing like the WnWs ones. 

Cheers,

Wolf

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3205&cat=1#

I found this though. If you scroll through the last few photos there’s one that shows the flare gun and it’s holder quite well.

Edited by Wolf Buddee

On 7/8/2021 at 3:15 PM, monthebiff said:

Superb as ever Wolf and so good to see you back at the bench again working your magic! 

The build sequence looks much like the D.VII so far including the same pitfalls,  The Archer sticking decals will be my choice when I get on to mine.

Regards. Andy 

Thank-you Andy,

The build sequence for the underside and stitching detail is exactly the same as recommended by WnWs on their DVII kits. I said then too that I’d do the bottom with Archer’s stitching decals but for whatever reason I chose to ignore better judgment on this build. :BANGHEAD2:

Cheers,

Wolf

6 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Unfortunately the placement of the flare gun and it’s holder are rather vague.

My understanding is the DR.I wouldn't have had them when it left the factory. They're squadron level additions - no drawings

This leads you into an area I quite enjoy - how would you fit a (for example) flare gun to a DR.I? I had this with the Lewis gun spare 48 round canister on my Sopwith Tabloid. I knew roughly where it went on the outside, how would it be supported by the intrnal framework

The flare gun will be the same - you can't have it flapping around in the middle of a fabric panel with no support. So, how was it done. 

No idea, you'd have to work it out. It must have been attached to something internal

Richard

On 7/9/2021 at 10:50 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Absolutely wonderful to see the master at the bench again!  Cant believe I missed this earlier.  I'd follow anything you built even if it was a dolls house LOL

Beautiful work and photography, thanks for posting

Thanks Anthony,

A doll's house eh? Not going to happen my friend as there's too much in the stash already and I have an Airfix 1/24th Hellcat coming. Good grief! When does the acquisition phase end?

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

More progress has been made on the Dr.1.

I built up the Spandau MGs using Master brass barrels and cooling jackets. The assemblies were given a primer coat of Tamiya’s Fine White Primer and then sprayed with Gunze Mr. Metal Dark Iron. The feed and empty cartridge chutes were painted with Alclad II dark aluminum and the ammunition, as before, with Gunze Mr. Metal Polished Brass. The belt itself is, again, a strip of Aviattic’s linen decal. The last steps included a black wash and applying MIG’s gunmetal powder by burnishing it in with an old paintbrush.

lyZsNOK.jpg

ebr1F27.jpg

I also decided I would paint the wing, cabane, landing gear struts, and engine cowling in their red colour. I mixed the red from Tamiya’s lacquer spray TS-8 Italian Red and TS-11 Maroon. I initially used Tamiya’s acrylic paint in the recommended ratios from the Dr.1 painting guide supplied in the WnWs instructions included in the Baron’s Albatross kits but didn’t care for the way they sprayed or covered. So it was back to my “never have failed me yet” Tamiya spray lacquers.

nCLusp2.jpg

The wings were also started. First a coat of Tamiya’s white primer and then a top coat of Tamiya’s TS-7 Racing White. It’s a beautiful creamy white and works perfectly as a base for Aviattic’s linen effect decals and it lays down wonderfully smooth and glossy. For those of us that don’t have access to MRP paints it’s a great alternative.

50pcmy4.jpg

Once completely dry i started applying Aviattic’s decals to the wing bottoms first. I constantly worked the water out from under the decals, first with a large paint brush, and then a moisten Q-Tip. In areas where the decals had to conform over the wing strut attachment points and the scalloped trailing edges I used Solvaset decal softener. A couple of small spots showed signs of slivering but poking the decal with the point of a new #11 blade and more Solvaset solved the problem.

fdWfjg4.jpg

I found you have to careful not to work the decals too hard otherwise you can damage the opaqueness of the decal especially once the softener has started to do it’s thing. Nonetheless the finished product looks terrific. The lower wing spar was done with my diminishing supply of red oak decal film.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

6 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Great progress!  Really like the machine guns, they look real.

Matt 

Thanks Matt,

I forgot the mention that I dry brushed the breeches and the cocking mechanism with Mr. Metal Steel paint as well to highlight some of the details. 

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee