Toxic!

ivanmoe

A timely reminder (albeit a "possibility" of causing cancer) to reinforce the PPE message and in particular to wear a mask and gloves when painting and sanding and use good ventilation, and a prompt to buy myself a paint booth sooner than later. 

Be Safe and Keep Well

Rgds Brent 

1 hour ago, leitch said:

Everything in California is toxic apparently, how does anyone live there?

Isn't Titanium Dioxide in a lot of oil paints too?

Treat the paint as any other and you will be fine.

Andy

Ironically, they never seem to blame the pollution that causes the smog. Just everything else...

You should read the warnings on the thinners ;) it's nasty stuff. Just wear a proper painting mask and use a ventilated booth. You'll be fine.

You should see all the stickers they slap on Tamiya before we can even _GET IT_ in the UK.. The panel liners aren't even sold here, you have to import them and cross your fingers. Same with the Enamels.

2 hours ago, ivanmoe said:

A pic of the cap-top of Tamiya clear coat, X22:

paint-cap.jpg

Question is, is this stuff as toxic as California.gov would have us believe?

Just about EVERYTHING in California has that label or something like it.    To get into why we would have to delve into politics, and that's a no no.

Thanks for the prompt, it's made me get off my chuff and order a small hobby spray booth, something I've been meaning to do for the last 6 months since shifting homes, cities and Islands (North to South Is) having disposed of previous painting set up prior to moving south. Rgds Brent 

IIRC Gunze water based acrylic Paints dropped out of circulation in the States for a number of years.  They showed up again under a new brand and with not much new except safety labeling In English.  The paint was labeled in Japanese for years.  I figured out how to use the paint and not hurt myself.  

This is "hazardous" but not automatically "dangerous". Picture yourself having a swim in the sea. "Hazard" is that sharks live in the sea. "Danger" is that there is a shark in your immediate vicinity.

If this was a "danger" it would be much more restricted than just a warning label.

Radu

Edited by Radub

45 minutes ago, Radub said:

This is "hazardous" but not automatically "dangerous". Picture yourself having a swim in the sea. "Hazard" is that sharks live in the sea. "Danger" is that there is a shark in your immediate vicinity.

If this was a "danger" it would be much more restricted than just a warning label.

Radu

And bear in mind that taking risks is a normal, daily activity that we do without thinking about it. While worrying about the shark, you've ignored the far higher risk of drowning and totally forgotten the far, far higher risk of driving to the beach.

I wouldn't drink the clear coat, bathe in it or spend 40 hours a week working with it. Otherwise I would carry on using it as normal. You are free to make your own choices

Richard

Casually taking easily available figures:

2020 US shark attacks, 30. Fatal, 3

US drownings, 3,000 - 4,000 per annum (I haven't googled far enough to separate sea drownings - feel free)

US road deaths per annum, more than 38,000

This is likely to be proportionally similar for the UK, although probably less sharks and drownings as the sea is too bloody cold

No figures for Titanium Dioxide as quote; "Scientists can't prove titanium dioxide is dangerous and they can't prove it's safe"

Edited by RLWP