Tamiya Spitfire question....

Granger Davis

Hello, everyone,

One thing I can profess is that I am not a Spitfire expert! My conundrum is that I want a Mk. IX yet Tamiya USA has the Mk. VIII for sale. Out of curiosity, how quickly can I get to a Mk. IX withe the Mk. VIII kit? I know I'll need the sprue with the fixed tailwheel as opposed to the retractable one but does the Mk. VIII kit also have the proper ailerons, or will I need to go to Ebay for that? Thanks for any help you guys might be able to provide me with.... if it isn't possible, I suppose I'll go with a RAF desert scheme.

16 minutes ago, Granger Davis said:

I agree and if I could find some markings for a Mk. VIII in the classic RAF green and gray camouflage, I would definitely go for it.

There were a few sets out there in a scheme like that. Victory Models made one but I think its OOP.  You could piece a scheme together if you can find code letters and serial numbers.

You just need the sprue for the tailwheel. The VIII uses a small insert that you glue to the wing for the shorter aileron. You could always just glue that to the end of the aileron instead and then it would be the full width.

Edit: I think the VIII kit has both short and full span ailerons in the box.  

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

5 hours ago, Granger Davis said:

I agree and if I could find some markings for a Mk. VIII in the classic RAF green and gray camouflage, I would definitely go for it.

If you're happy to use masks there are a couple of Montex sets, although both cover the same aircraft.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MXK32134?result-token=7bwV5

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MXK32188?result-token=7bwV5

1 hour ago, BloorwestSiR said:

You just need the sprue for the tailwheel. The VIII uses a small insert that you glue to the wing for the shorter aileron. You could always just glue that to the end of the aileron instead and then it would be the full width.

Carl

It does.  As Carl says, you just need to source the parts for the fixed tailwheel. 

Edited by MikeC

23 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Carl

The MkVIII kit does contain the longer span ailerons. 

From an external only perspective, this just leaves the issue of the issue of the fixed tail wheel to replicate, and I would have thought this not that difficult if you used the closed door option with the door detail filled, and either the kit tail wheel modified or find a suitable replacement in your spares box if you have such a thing.

Internally, the MkVIII kit is way too much of a MkIX for this part of the build to be an issue, which is the only disappointment of the MkVIII kit.  The Mk XVI kit is very different from the low back Spitfires and it is a pity that Tamiya didn't put the same level of difference into the MkVIII.

Cheers,

Michael

On 1/8/2021 at 1:11 AM, Granger Davis said:

The kit itself comes with marking for a RAAF grey green option but as Mike says there are loads of options out there.