mozart

29 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Nice additional details Max.  Hopefully the Siskin hits the bench eventually, it is a cool plane.

Matt 

Thanks Matt, and I agree the Siskin whilst not an obvious “looker” like most of the Hawker stable are, is very cool in its own way. Apparently not a very easy one to fly though! 

After 11 months, almost to the day, the top wing is finally ON...........taa..rah!!!!

Over the past few days I've been fitting the turnbuckles (Gaspatch) then threading the rigging line through those on the top wing:

tvqDwH.jpg

qTIkCP.jpg

but the thought of then aligning ten holes without bending anything, breaking anything or getting CA all over everything was causing some procrastination from yours truly!  However, fortune favours the brave Rodney.....and lo....within the twinkle of an eye, 'twas done......

PqEUwO.jpg

PLXC0k.jpg

Just a matter of tightening and gluing the lines now then fitting stretched sprue 'twixt nose and centre underwing. 

Edited by mozart

MAX! STOP! The Fury didn't use turnbuckles, but threaded RAF wire ( flat aerofoil sectioned wires with theaded ends). Gaspatch do make the ends for this type also. Look at Pete's (airscale) big build thread. Regards, Pete in RI

4 minutes ago, europapete said:

MAX! STOP! The Fury didn't use turnbuckles, but threaded RAF wire ( flat aerofoil sectioned wires with theaded ends). Gaspatch do make the ends for this type also. Look at Pete's (airscale) big build thread. Regards, Pete in RI

Yep, artistic licence Pete! I’m aware of Gaspatche’s threaded “ends” but quite frankly trying to get any type of rigging material to adhere to that narrow cross section, which has to be a “butt joint” in woodworking terms, is next to impossible, and believe me, I have tried. Eric G successfully used them on a Tiger Moth build by “tying knots” around the end of the terminal “buckle” end but that was as much a compromise in my eyes as a turnbuckle. I contemplated simple brass tube but was keen to try the turnbuckle type for ease of rigging.