RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Anthony

It has been a great pleasurer following this W.I.P. You work is both inspiring and a joy to look at. This is what I would call a work of passion.

I use my time modeling to escape the pressure and misery of work (that pays the bills). I find that I can completely break free of the little voice in my mind ; it's like meditation. I  hope you too can find this ability to help you through what must be a very challenging time in your life. Family and friends are good too, and from reading this blog I hope you can gain some positive energy from all the positive comments. You have been given a very hard road to follow. Cancer is just evil! I too have had family tried and tested by it. Wishing and hoping you can find a way to continue this great build and you are able to find some peace of mind.

Sincerely Anthony C 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 3:50 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Awww thanks buddy, 

Family is struggling with dealing with my 19yo sons cancer.  The Chemo is brutal and it is hard to watch.  I have recently realised that going back to my Phantom model has been a nice distraction and put me in my happy place for short periods of time....quite nice actually this hobby for those reasons.

So as many of you now realize my wife and I are dealing with our 19 year old son having cancer in 4 places in his torso area.  we've been through all sorts of scans, tests, then surgery and now about to start week 4 Chemo treatment on Monday (week three has been especially tough, I cant imaging how round 2 /week4 is going to be on the poor bloke.  Anyway we manage somehow.  My concentration span is not very long right now but the big Phantom this week has been nice to work on to ''escape'' for a little while.

So as you can imaging not a lot of progress, mostly because I have not been home much.  But progress none the less.

Anthony,

This post explains a lot.  From the beginning you have intimated of some background problems but none of us would have guessed the magnitude of what your son and your family are undergoing.  Know that we all are thinking of you and wish only for the best outcome.  Your build has brought immense pleasure to many of us.  The knowledge of the pressures behind the build just make it all that much more impressive.

Wishing your son the best!

Art

• 1 month later...

Ok team

I'm back!  My son got his all clear a couple of days ago after 3 months of chemo after his surgery etc...what a road!  He's still really sick but we can plan the next stages.  Apparently 6 months to fully recover.

Before I go any further I really do want to say a MASSIVE thank you to all of your emails, PM's, comments and responses here and on BM.  In dark times this was a real comfort to me as we went through with such uncertainty.

I've tinkered on the Phantom which as I said before has been nice going to my happy place to tinker.  Of course I have not achieved a lot since completing the outer wings and work has focused on the back end again.

I cut the horizontal stabs attach in half to enable better painting of the metal 'hot'area and a nice tight fit.  Here is one just balanced in place

F6gIhA.jpg

6WBwVt.jpg

Time to stop ignoring this as I need to put the stainless strip around the edge so the burner can rebates nicely in and then onto the keel structure the tailhook mounts to

ScIZly.jpg

So some 0.3 x 0.4 strip (thicker than it needs be so I can sand it into the correct fuse contour) to leave a thin lip

1YaNTb.jpg

Starting to scratch it down here

9yr8Xe.jpg

Now here is an interesting Brit Toom shape that needs explaining.  The back flanks have an unusual shape tapering back to the reheat cans, see here....

See that ridge/contour change?  You can only see it at certain angles (photo courtesy of Mark Taylor cropped down)

qSjgxc.jpg

Looks like this...roughly

D42Ogu.jpg

Mark Taylor photo again

9rmK4w.jpg

And unknown photographer sorry

Chn2B4.jpg

But the closer/more you look, you will see it on the actual airframe

So off I go...

ZAN5N5.jpg

IjsnLS.jpg

K67aC6.jpg

A2akyK.jpg

Close, I just have to tighten the gap a tiny bit and continue on templating and matching both sides.  Then onto the end of the keel beam where the hook attaches

Thanks for your patience and I now gotta get a good look around later on to see what news and builds I have been missing out on!

Onwards and upwards Anthony

3 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

As nice as it is to see another excellent update to your build, Anthony, the real thrill here is to hear the news about your son. Fantastic. Best wishes for his recovery.

Kev

Thanks mate....yes it is!  Double whammy update LOL

I must second @LSP_Kevin comment! Firstly, stoked to hear Cameron is in the clear, and on the road to recovery! I know there's still a bit of a path to walk, but such good news for all of you! 
Secondly, and yes, less importantly......welcome back and she is looking marvelous!

Must catch up for a coffee and chin-wag soon!

1 minute ago, IainM said:

I must second @LSP_Kevin comment! Firstly, stoked to hear Cameron is in the clear, and on the road to recovery! I know there's still a bit of a path to walk, but such good news for all of you! 
Secondly, and yes, less importantly......welcome back and she is looking marvelous!

Must catch up for a coffee and chin-wag soon!

Thanks mate....yup great news.

Coffee and chin wag sounds just what the doctor ordered!  Have I got your cell number?  I will text you if I do

Knowing that Cameron is now in the clear is the best news I have heard this year! (it must be so incredibly uplifting and stress-freeing for you and Belynda). Nice to see you working on your Phantom again (I am doing similar work on my Lightning taolplanes).

All Phantoms feature the subtle waised-in/taper of the fuselage at the jet pipes, but is a little more obvious on the British Phantoms, so you have done well to capture this. 

These might help you a little (FGR.2 XV497, taken by me at RAF Waddington eleven years ago):

eFtoFFb.jpg

dlUytCC.jpg

7aItSty.jpg

CxlSIEq.jpg

6hKLPX3.jpg

zSbfbd1.jpg

XFPVbJa.jpg

lErM99b.jpg

fJDeAC8.jpg

f4AAS7o.jpg

W3rHKKf.jpg

BmZbwa2.jpg

NbtTWSK.jpg

Derek

Awwww @Derek B that’s some seriously good photos mate! Thanks so very much, you have captured a cot of areas I was struggling to  find pics of(I should have just asked you!).

I have noticed the gap around the reheat cans seems to vary too. I’m guessing it depends on how far in or out they are sitting depending on power setting?

Thanks again! I know what today’s job is going to be!

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Anthony, just to add my good wishes on the fantastic news about your son and congratulations on some primo scratching around those exhaust areas.

Tony

Thanks mate, yes good news indeed. 
Cheers Ive still got a bit of fettling to go there but getting close 

cheers guys 

Anthony

46 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I have noticed the gap around the reheat cans seems to vary too. I’m guessing it depends on how far in or out they are sitting depending on power setting?

cheers 

Anthony

This is the aircraft that eventually went to RAF Bentwaters (for a while) - the aircraft has no engines installed and the cans are loosely fitted into the airframe, which is why they are not in the correct position or parallel.

Cheers

Derek