RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

On 12/26/2022 at 2:52 PM, KiwiZac said:

Excellent work Anthony, how exciting!

Thanks Zac, yes I feel like I have reached a bit of a milestone getting  that bit done

On 12/26/2022 at 4:41 PM, Greg W said:

"Thanks again, I’m pleased you’re still with me….I didn’t expect it to take this long!"

For what its worth, I think the length of time a project takes is proportionate to the scope of the endeavour. With all of the research, head scratching, decision making and plain hard work involved in the old school style of kit modification represented here, you are proceeding at a very good rate. It seems to me that this project is not taking an undue amount of time at all.

I never looked at it that way...thanks buddy!

On 12/27/2022 at 9:32 AM, phantomdriver said:

Blimey!

LOL thanks!

On 12/27/2022 at 2:04 PM, scvrobeson said:

It's all coming together now! Great to see all of the work on the Toom paying off, it really does look just like a real one.

Matt 

That's good, because for a long time when I looked at it I could still see the 'J' even after lots of mod's, but for the first time I really felt like I crossed the hurdle and it looks like a 'Spey Phantom' now. Thanks

On 12/27/2022 at 11:39 PM, Derek B said:

You've captured the lower 'banana' shape vey well Anthony, well done! (the lens flare probably exaggerates this effect in the photographs somewhat). It is really coming together now, so that should (hopefully) encourage and spur you on to the finish.

Cheers

Derek

Yes I think so...I have poured over photo's for hours making sure I got this bit right as it is such a feature of the Spey birds.  yes the camera has exaggerated it a little and now the nose section is pulled up into place it looks much better.

Which leads me into the last update for the year as I am going away to Queenstown with my sister who is out from the UK with her family.

I managed to pull the nose section up to its correct position and am really happy with the way the new modified nose profile looks. Although a couple of panel lines will need shifting a little. 

p1ENKj.jpg

Every possible type of glue, epoxy, bracing and clamps were used to hold the correct profile whilst everything set rock hard

It seems to have held out!

TdJAjy.jpg

LOL what a mess in there....good thing you wont see it!

This now leads to a tricky and complex section of the conversion and that is that the radome is too long, but the fwd fuse is the correct length :shocked:.  I have had lots of awesome info and help from several people and studied multiple drawings.  It's just really hard to figure out once the radome has 3mm removed (as per someone actually physically measuring one) where the deficiency is.  I have come to the conclusion that the forward fuse station 48.28 is slightly too far back.  This corresponds with the air conditioning ducts on the nose sitting incorrectly at that panel line when it should be further back.  I know most sand it back but it measures pretty well spot on.  I have opted to increase the frame station forward 1.5mm at this stage and I reckon I should be pretty close.  Maybe I have it wrong, but it all seems to add up and look correct on test fittings etc.  Thats how I will fix it anyway.  The Flightpath nose is very good but because I now have a slightly deeper profile it wont fit.

So.......3mm removed off the rear surface on my belt sander, then a cut along the lower line to open up the dia a touch, then where the tape is I will will make a couple of cuts to help with lowering the and holding a round radome section....well thats the plan!

here is where I am at

CymejT.jpg

I am making it up as I go really, But this is the direction I am heading for now.

Well this is my last update for the year

Thanks to you all, your support to me has been amazing through 22.  Largely its because of your encouragement it might otherwise be on the SOD, every comment and 'like' is super appreciated and taken to heart!

I caught up with Kerry last night as he was down and enjoyed a drink together and for you buddy....thanks!!  Your help in CAD'ing up these parts would not have led to such a result so far and in many respects I consider this a joint effort, not just my model or work!

I will be on line but not at my bench, keep up all the amazing work chaps, and here's to a much better 2023!!

Cheers Anthony (who better go pack the car now as everyone is buzzing around the house LOL)

On 12/29/2022 at 9:47 AM, Derek B said:

I completely agree and second everything you have said buddy! You have done an amazing job on your model and we are all looking forward to seeing you complete it during the coming winter/spring. Happy new year to you (and Kerry).

Cheers

Derek

Thanks Derek!  Hope you had a nice relaxing time over NY and lets look forward to seeing what we can both get out this year...especially loving that Lightning project!

Ok so I got home late last night driving home from Queenstown and was so excited to wake up this morning and get to work on the Phantom again...everyone else in the house is still asleep LOL

Here we go...

1.5x1.5mm Evergreen strip glued around the front frame station.  This still needs a lot of sanding and blending etc, but it is my base to start

fdcLtC.jpg

You can see there is a bit of tidy up and a few panel line tweaks and slight relocations

UvoNhH.jpg

Radome is being prepared for shape and fitment.  3 cuts.  One at 6 oclock position and other 2 between 3-4 and 8-9 O'clock positions.  This slightly increases the radome dia and being on the lower half I can manipulate the lower line better

vLAJNT.jpg

As I say, still a fair bit to do, but this is a better starting point without having the nose full of fillers (similar to Michael Jackson's nose ...oops sorry, that was a bit mean....I couldnt resist!!)

51yS24.jpg

So dont look too closely at the lower profile just yet, there is a lot more work to go, including the slight (2deg???) bulkhead angle giving a slight nose angle down.  Lots of sanding dust again soon I think!

Thanks team

Anthony

Hi Anthony, I have a recommendation for you to consider. Maybe drill a hole at the forward end of each split in the nose. The wedges might create enough force to cause the cracks to travel forward over time. The hole will dissipate the stress on the end of the splits, so that they will not continue to elongate.

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Go Anthony go!   

haha, thanks!

36 minutes ago, Greg W said:

Hi Anthony, I have a recommendation for you to consider. Maybe drill a hole at the forward end of each split in the nose. The wedges might create enough force to cause the cracks to travel forward over time. The hole will dissipate the stress on the end of the splits, so that they will not continue to elongate.

Now THATS a really good idea!  Doing it now.  Agreed, after I finish sanding etc it will look a lot better.

Cheers Anthony

Way back in the thread I had the same thought when I saw the pic below but I forgot to mention it! What a shame it would be for a stress crack to open up, in this area too, moving backward (or up/down) from the spread made in the tail section. I don't know, it might not be needed but good to catch it now if you think the split is being forced open with enough pressure to cause a problem.

Love this project, must be so nice to have it this far along! 

Looking fantastic!

pGOm9u

Edited by Greg W

9 hours ago, Greg W said:

Way back in the thread I had the same thought when I saw the pic below but I forgot to mention it! What a shame it would be for a stress crack to open up, in this area too, moving backward (or up/down) from the spread made in the tail section. I don't know, it might not be needed but good to catch it now if you think the split is being forced open with enough pressure to cause a problem.

Love this project, must be so nice to have it this far along! 

Looking fantastic!

pGOm9u

Hi Greg, I am glad you suggested stop drilling the holes which I have now done..thank you sir!  Yeah those ones on the hot area, here's hoping they stay put, although there has been a fair amount of CA and epoxy go in even after that pic. 

And thats why I love this forum and people speaking out on things I could do better etc...Love it

Cheers Anthony

I have been working on the radome profiles today... getting there I think

8bRzau.jpg

Svmet0.jpg

Remember this from earlier, this is the Tamiya nose, see how flat it is along the lower line? Also note how close the air con duct is to the radome edge?

WIVpP8.jpg

Figuring stuff out, overlaying the modified lower fuse to the actual plane taken from similar perspectives

Q663T9.jpg

And I ended up with something like this.  The radome is only temporarily glued on whilst I sort the shapes out

TT0j4Q.jpg

Right-O time for bed and tomorrow is final refining and buffing surface, then re-instating lost panels and rivets as well as radome details

Cheers Anthnoy

7 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I have been working on the radome profiles today... getting there I think

8bRzau.jpg

Svmet0.jpg

Remember this from earlier, this is the Tamiya nose, see how flat it is along the lower line? Also note how close the air con duct is to the radome edge?

WIVpP8.jpg

Figuring stuff out, overlaying the modified lower fuse to the actual plane taken from similar perspectives

Q663T9.jpg

And I ended up with something like this.  The radome is only temporarily glued on whilst I sort the shapes out

TT0j4Q.jpg

Right-O time for bed and tomorrow is final refining and buffing surface, then re-instating lost panels and rivets as well as radome details

Cheers Anthnoy

Looks pretty well spot-on to me Anthony, well done!

Derek

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

Great fix Anthony. The nose does look much closer now.  I've always wondered, is the Tamiya nose just inaccurate, or did the Brits really shift the radome down that much on their Phantoms?

Matt 

Hey Matt, I’m glad it wasn’t just me who thought that! I’ve been bombarded with questions on fb as I think for many the issue went partially unnoticed and assumed the Flightpath nose fixed it…which it kinda does but not totally to my eye at least. 

48 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Looks pretty well spot-on to me Anthony, well done!

Derek

Thanks buddy…. I knew you would correct me if it was wrong! Appreciated 

Thanks and cheers guys 

Anthony

18 minutes ago, jenshb said:

Would the nasal surgery also apply to the US short nose Phantoms?

I’m thinking so as apparently the radomes were interchangeable with early C/D’s as well. It’s just more noticeable on the Brit ones as they don’t have the RHAW fairings. That fairing seems to hide the Tamiya issues. But the radome is definitely too long across the curve by 3mm(someone actually measured it)

Hope this helps 

Anthony