RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

11 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Hi Anthony,

Brilliant rivetting!!

I would go for the checkered tail, love that one.

Rick

Thanks, I am slowly getting there, working on the other side of the nose now.  Yes the checkered tail looks awesome dosent it.

10 hours ago, BLACK MAMBA said:

I feel I might be in the minority here but I feel such a heavily weathered beast peaks more interest personally than than a squeaky clean & brightly coloured one. The Toom was a war machine and she liked it dirty! It will show off all the rivet details well too. 

The 1435 Flight Phantoms also seem to have a nice mix between clean & dirty birds? Not sure if you want a fully loaded bird however.

I have to agree, I am thinking that this bird did end up a little scruffy (but not too bad) I see on some pics of the u/c doors and around the lower burner cans she looks already a bit dirty.  She also appears in this scheme later on with a repainted aft section, (much like the one in that pic).  In fact it seems a lot got this section painted on the right hand aft flank repainted...mod maybe?  After this the fin got 2 rows of checkers and the black around the cockpit repainted.  I might see if I can find any of her in the scrapyard in Scotland.

Cheers Anthony

26 minutes ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Hats off Anthony! Looking better and better! 

Thank you sir!

Ok I have found another issue with my WH resin.  The lower aft section that runs between the burner cans to tail tip has a poor molding step.  It is on both sides and is going to be a pain to fix :BANGHEAD2:  , also it is not the best fit to the resin fuselage...*sigh*

57MLNq.jpg

Soooooo, Looking at the plastic it seems that if I graft the tail section onto the resin center fuse I can use the kit lower section modified. This should give me a MUCH tidier join and it seems I can probably modify the kit part to match the Spey lower section.

gM6Qpr.jpg

A bit more work, but I think will produce a tidier result.

Might start on this tonight whilst I wait on some superglue filled panels to harden

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Nice work, as always. The FG.1 does look spectacular, but you would have to alter some rear panels (amongst a few other modifications) if you were to go down that route. Weathered FGR.2 aircraft do look more interesting if done well.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

3 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Hi Anthony,

Nice work, as always. The FG.1 does look spectacular, but you would have to alter some rear panels (amongst a few other modifications) if you were to go down that route. Weathered FGR.2 aircraft do look more interesting if done well.

Derek

Much appreciate your knowledge to help me out here...

Yes if I go down the FG.1 route then I will need to alter some back panels as well as add a few extra doors and bits to the front.  Not to mention what the cockpit will look like that late in her service life??

Thanks Derek, and thanks for keeping an eye on me!

Great looking work so far Anthony!

One thing I did once on a 1/48 version and would feel obliged to include on my 1/32 one if it ever materialises is to grind out those vents between the hook and the the stab hinge. It appears as a horseshoe shaped plate with three guide vanes. The plates are quite easy to make (I impressed the vanes into plastic card as I recall).

But grinding the shingle cover immediately in front down helps further the illusion that it's a collection of metal sheets fastened together rather than a solid lump of plastic.

42 minutes ago, Chek said:

Great looking work so far Anthony!

One thing I did once on a 1/48 version and would feel obliged to include on my 1/32 one if it ever materialises is to grind out those vents between the hook and the the stab hinge. It appears as a horseshoe shaped plate with three guide vanes. The plates are quite easy to make (I impressed the vanes into plastic card as I recall).

But grinding the shingle cover immediately in front down helps further the illusion that it's a collection of metal sheets fastened together rather than a solid lump of plastic.

Aaah thanks for the tip...I hadnt even considered that, looks like I will have to do that mod after seeing what you mean

Cheers and thanks for the pointer!

Anthony

16 hours ago, AlbertD said:

That's too bad about the resin part. After seeing what you have already accomplished the fix should be a piece of cake. 

I wouldn't be so sure LOL....

11 hours ago, jimbo59 said:

Your work is exceptional. Can’t wait to see how you fix this

I'm doing this for you guys, so someone releases a lovely 'shake n bake' kit for Y'all.

In fact I really dont know what I am doing...

oQqaln.jpg

1qY0Np.jpg

This next pic might help you see where I am going (trying) with this....

sf3Goo.jpg

This really is the only difference between the kit part and the resin part.  Either I graft this in or I might just rework the kit part???

I need to go to bed soon, my head aches thinking about how to do this bit properly...maybe tomorrow I will be able to think more clearly about it! Either way, there is no coming back from this butchery!

Cheers guys

Anthony

22 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

In fact I really dont know what I am doing...

Welcome to my world Anthony! lol :) 

When I am scratch building or doing what you do, generally, neither do I! (I have a general idea what I want, but often no real idea of how to accomplish it - there is no right or wrong answer or way here). As you will undoubtedly find, once you have taken the first brave step and built up the courage to cut plastic, you very quickly gain in confidence and experience as you proceed.

What this ultimately does is provide you with more and more options of how to overcome/resolve/mess up (delete as applicable) any given situation or problem.

Good luck and keep up the good work Anthony.

Cheers

Derek 

Edited by Derek B

It's always about the journey, the learning experience and the knowledge gained!

John Kennedy, we choose to do these things..."not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills"

Barry