1/48 1999 Eagle - Tactical Edition

The Madhatter

Hi everyone

I've been a bit quite on the forums lately and that's because I've been spending more time building and less time writing. I had to take a break from the relentless detailing of the Star Destroyer (which I will go back to because I want to see it done), and so for the past month or so, I have been away quietly building my 48th scale 199 Eagle. I've long loved the design of this ship and have dreamed of having a kit of this as a boy when I saw it in an old Airfix catalogue but just never bought one until a couple of years back when I saw one of these going relatively cheaply instead I clearly grabbed one.
Naturally, me being me, I also was never going to paint it like the show. Then I saw The Admiral's build (http://resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=17378 ) and it's inspiration from him that got me going on mine. So I naturally borrowed/stole his cockpit idea and subsequently made my own poorer copy.
However, it reinforced my previous desire for a non standard white Eagle, so I came up with the most obvious option: paint it in black! Everything looks good in black right?!
Painted in Tamiya NATO Black, flat black and German grey and something else to. The engine stuff is all painted in bare metal just because I thought it would look cool. That general concept is prevalent throughout this whole build really
I'm going to blow my own horn here and state that I am super happy with how this came out. Yes - after taking the photos I realised that there are some paint issues to fix that have alluded me prior to now but they are easily fixed and TBH, I'm not going to take another series of shots to show them fixed. It's been hard enough to get enough light to take even these pictures. Love Melbourne weather! At any rate, you'll get the idea from the following pics :D

50086081002_2119b83360_z.jpg

50085843286_6567d99a89_z.jpg

50085845851_8ff868b1c3_z.jpg

50086082032_31ae11ea5c_z.jpg

50085258608_d083430da9_z.jpg

50085837971_9d855a16e4_z.jpg

50085838851_fb6869fc76_z.jpg

50085841876_94e7ce873e_z.jpg

50082095663_288a1ae84d_z.jpg

50082920537_8ec97692b4_z.jpg

50082921482_23b5082da3_z.jpg

and this is my rudimentary cockpit which I shamelessly stole from Bill. Thanks again mate!!

I can't paint faces to save myself, so I sprayed shaped pieces of masking tape silver followed by clear red and a mist of clear orange. It looks much better to me
The screens behind them are decals which I cut up and stuck onto the back wall with a  hole behind it where fiber optic stubs had been inserted into the side panels - all lit by a single SMD each side. The red cockpit glow is a standard but sanded 5mm LED. It looks good against the black.

50011955312_982348af64_z.jpg

Well, that was a fun build in so far as that I didn't have to make details for anything. Like I said, I'm super happy with this. I think it looks seriously cool, but that's just me
Anyways, thanks for stopping by and having a look.
Si

Edited by The Madhatter

Thanks guys. My memory of the actual show wasn't nice or warming. The show was absolute rubbish. Terrible acting and cringe worthy plots, but like most shows of that era for me, it was all about the ship. I just can't bring myself to watch an old episode without the risk of severe disappointment. I recently watched a couple of old episodes of Terrahawks because I remembered some of the cool ships they had and had to turn off the sound due to the shockingly bad script. 

I think that could be said of watching many a childhood classic. Its probably best to keep them as just that: childhood memories 

LOL, like so many of the shows of that era, the only really cool thing was the equipment the characters all used. KITT, Street Hawk etc. All Rubbish content but who cared when you had a cool talking black Trans-Am and an all seeing, wavy red eye!?

I've also realised that I've forgotten to add markings to it. Whoops.

Thanks very much guys. I'll admit, I'm pretty happy with how it came out - especially now that I fixed the paint scratches. I could've added more lighting and details but I just wanted to K.I.S.S on this build. I did contemplate adding pipe work etc on the main box sections but I'm glad I didn't because you can't really see it, so that was quite the time saver

Anywho, it's back to the Star Destroyer now. The side shows are now done for a bit - although I do have a cracking scheme to add to a Mig-31 in mind :whistle:

6 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

Anywho, it's back to the Star Destroyer now. The side shows are now done for a bit - although I do have a cracking scheme to add to a Mig-31 in mind :whistle:

Completely "get it" with having a momentary side show while a huge project like that Star Destroyer is going on. I had to take a small break from my own "big" little project and build something a little less entailed just to keep the "mojo" up. 

I think it must have been a product of the times. Im currently watching the Knight Rider series from the start and I haven't had this much of a laugh in ages. Great fun, but absurd story lines at times. Although,  its made me start looking for the Aoshima kit and a scanning unit to go with!  

Edited by The Madhatter