1/24 Hurricane Mk.1

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2020 at 4:09 PM, Grant_T said:

Lots of dry fitting on this kit. I hope the kid who woke up to this on Christmas morning in the 1970s had dad to help with the build. :mellow:

Errr... No.  I didn't :lol:.

But it turned out OK, anyway.  I still think it's a good kit too.  I've built the Trumpy 1/24 offering and reckon it's at least as good as that.  Some things better, and not much that's worse IMHO.

I'll be following your progress with interest on this one.  :popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

• 3 months later...

I made it through the teaching semester so I finally have a bit of time to devote to this. I have most of it together, including the subassemblies, and now it is time for addressing all the gaps and various bumps and ridges (as you can see from the picture there are quit a few). But I was patient and got it together pretty straight I think. Once that's finished I'll start the painting. The cockpit can be inserted from below which simplifies things in this regard. I think I'm also going to use the figure which should be fun to paint. I reckon I can have this done by the deadline.

006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of progress on this. I've decided to use the figure so I gave it a quick paint. (Still have to paint the eyebrows!) Next I'll close it all up and beginning the painting.

008.jpg
009.jpg

Anyone noticed that Xf-15 flat flesh is this bizarre shade of orangish pink? Doesn't seem a particularly natural flesh tone to me. :hmmm:

007.jpg

Edited by Grant_T

Pushing through to get this finished. Certainly not a show winner. There are a lot of gaps/steps to fill/sand, particularly around the wing root and engine cowling. I shot some paint (just what was available) to get a sense of what needed more work. I won't do too much more.

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

I got this thing when I was about 12 for Christmas.  It was the coolest kit ever!  I don't remember having fit issues actually. Maybe the top of the engine cowling... Anyway, what does stand out is I mixed Tamiya acrylic thinner with model master brown enamel and sprayed it and then couldn't figure out why it flaked off! 

I liked this kit so much, I got the Airfix 1/24 190, 109, and P-51, and all three were so horrible, I never finished any of them. It was a big disappointment and my first lesson in things not fitting right. 

like many Brits I too had this kit in when i was a kid in the late 70s early 80s, and also built the Ju87 (huge!), Fw190 and Me109 with various degrees of success and completion

i have two Trumpy 1/24 kits and think they are significantly better than the AIrfix offering - and are imho easily the best Hurricanes in any scale

still, the Airfix can be made to look the part if you are willing to put in the hours

what scheme are you doing? 

will you be using decals or masks?