1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

On 2/7/2021 at 3:27 PM, rowin said:

John, look at the pictures of the real D-13, there is no flare tube on the starboard sideof the forward fuselage. Simmilar sitation is on the most D-9 (late production). Great build!

Circling back to this issue... I've checked my references and would have to disagree.  Although I cannot make out the flare port on photos of the most recently restored D-13 or the captured photos at Gilze-Rijen Airfield in Holland, the flare port is clearly visible when the unrestored Yellow 10 was languishing in an Atlanta vacant lot as discovered by Jerry Crandall.  Below is a crop of one of these photos that appears in Volume Two of Mr. Crandall's Dora books.

Yellow-10-Derelict.jpg

13 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Yes, Galaxy Tools riveter is what I used to rivet this model.  It's a nice tool with one advantage over the RB Productions version... the dot pitch of the 1.00mm large wheel matches the small wheel and corner tool exactly.  Not an exact match with the RB Productions Rivet-R sets, which can be frustrating if you don't pay attention.  I bought the Galaxy riveters on Ebay from a seller called usdreamer-0.  Shipped from China.

Excellent. Thanks. I'll have to grab some of their tools; looks like they sell some interesting stuff.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:00 AM, Thunnus said:

Are you sure?  In Squadron's Walk Around book that port or at least the outline of it is visible on Yellow 10.  This was before the most recent restoration when Yellow still had the D-9 wings on it.

John, I was sure before you asked. I checked this once again. I have the same book as you from Jerry Crandall, this is the best source in my opinion.

On 2/10/2021 at 6:49 PM, Thunnus said:

Circling back to this issue... I've checked my references and would have to disagree.  Although I cannot make out the flare port on photos of the most recently restored D-13 or the captured photos at Gilze-Rijen Airfield in Holland, the flare port is clearly visible when the unrestored Yellow 10 was languishing in an Atlanta vacant lot as discovered by Jerry Crandall.  Below is a crop of one of these photos that appears in Volume Two of Mr. Crandall's Dora books.

Yellow-10-Derelict.jpg

You are right, the port is highly visible. But if you look on the pic from Holand (war period photos) there is no port on them.

The same is on the restored D13 as you said.

If you look on the D13 cockpit photos there is no flare port on the main board as well.

I saw that Jerry is active in your topic so maybe he could help. But if I am wrong sorry for the mess.

Edited by rowin

Painting?  I wish I was closer to that step but still got quite a ways to get there!

I've cobbled together more of the central MG151 area using some of the resin gun bay parts and sheet styrene.  This is purely fiction as I just want to fill up some space caused by the removal of the cowling gun cannisters/chutes.
IMG-1473.jpg

IMG-1472.jpg

The straight section of sheet styrene is stand-in as well as a form for the ammo chute.  I'll fold some brass sheeting around the form for the actual chute.
IMG-1470.jpg

I took a pause on my Tempest build so that I can get past this "hump" on the D-13 build.  Which is the rear engine assembly.

I've settled the placement of the major components, including the added MG151 cannon.  Additional wiring is required but it is not something that I can do with the components in separate pieces so I wanted to move on to painting the engine components.

IMG-1474.jpg

IMG-1475.jpg

IMG-1477.jpg

IMG-1478.jpg

After painting, I'm going to assemble this one component at a time and try to add the wiring in layers, working from inside to the outside.  I've built up my wiring inventory to cover all of the bases.
IMG-1481.jpg

Initial fitting of the MG151 after painting.  Right now these parts are not glued in as I'm trying to figure out where to add wiring.
IMG-1479.jpg

IMG-1480.jpg

Work on the engine continues.  Since real photos of this area are limited, I am using lots of artistic license to fill this empty space with appropriate, if not accurate, complexity.  I just want it to look passably busy.  On one hand, it's pretty easy work since the engine space is represented by a small finite box with bulkheads on either side to pass wires between.  But since most of it is fictional, it's difficult to visualize what I should do.  Just gotta dive in...

Random holes have been drilled into the front and rear bulkheads to accept the wiring.  I am using either copper or lead wire in various gauges as well as some metal guitar string, to mimic the mass of hydraulic lines found at the rear of the Jumo 213 engine.  The wiring is added as the "box" of the engine compartment is put together.
IMG-1482.jpg

IMG-1483.jpg

IMG-1484.jpg

At intermediate stages, I place the engine assembly within the fuselage to check my progress.
IMG-1485.jpg

IMG-1486.jpg

After a few hours, the engine box is complete.
IMG-1488.jpg

The complete engine box is posed with the kit wheel well.  If you recall, I also have the Aires resin wheel well set, which I was planning to use but now I could go either way.  The final view into the kit wheel well will be restricted by the wing bottom but this lets us enjoy the completion of this step in the context of its placement within the fuselage.

IMG-1491.jpg

IMG-1492.jpg

IMG-1493.jpg

IMG-1494.jpg