1:32 Hawker Siddeley Andover E.Mk 3A - 3D Print

Iain

Useful photo - thanks Check!

I was adding more photos last night - but my laptop crashed and I lost a long post about separating the rudder - and some more interesting stuff.

Ran out of time/motivation as a result - but will have another go later.

I'm really, really enjoying this - proper modelling challenges, new things to learn and a very different type of subject.

Although I do keep getting covered in dust! :mental:

Iain

My wife would probably disagree Derek!  :)

OK - so, lets have another go at last night's trashed post...

I wanted to separate the rudder from the fin (they are printed together).

This was for three reasons:

• to improve the look of the rudder hinge line
  • investigate the internal construction and how easy it was - as I intend doing the same with elevators and ailerons
  • make it easier to try some thoughts I had on thinning the trailing edges of all flying surfaces

Here a start has been made - following the printed hinge lines with a fresh 10A scalpel blade:

48b427_326fd0d6714740e2927dcbe0d93c96ea~

Same comments re. cutting along and across the print lines - and not too much force - the skins are relatively thin here - and you will crack either the surface, or some of the internal structure.

And removed. Take care as there will still be internal attachments even when it feels separated:

48b427_a832353e4b704e1287a2ed950ae6f7b8~

And I now had the three pieces that will make up the (quite large) rudder:

48b427_ec03257fab2d4ffc9ef6ea09198cb7ca~

More photos to follow...

Iain

So, let me introduce Mr T Bar - one of my most useful, and yet most basic, tools!

It's a section of extruded aluminium with a handle shape on one side - and a perfectly flat plate on the other.

You attach sheets of relevant grades of wet and dry to the flat face with Spray Mount adhesive (removing old residues with White Spirit).

I bought it years ago from John Adams (Aeroclub) to help me with vacform projects, but it's been very useful for a huge number of other things.

My hope was that the thick trailing edges on the Andover print were actually hollow inside - and the skin actually formed a box, rather than a solid.

Well - it is a hollow box!

So - scribe a line down the middle of the flat trailing edge in relevant parts with the scalpel blade until cut all the way through.

Open up a section at top and bottom of component to allow for flex - and the outer surfaces to bend.

Run along this central cut - on the inside of it with a diamond file - until there's enough space to pry the edges apart and insert the side of the T Bar.

48b427_a533a009c491470fbc76f5f2d342de5b~

In this case with 400 grade wet and dry.

Sand along one side until edge razor sharp (didn't take much) - then turning the T Bar around in the 'slot' to sand the trailing edge on the other side.

This illustrates better:

48b427_76cc1f82f48245f8b6fbdbdf0758f018~

48b427_55892e2587d24f2bafb33b8c266c1424~

And we end up with this - look at the difference, for not a lot of work!

48b427_8b5269e52dd4417e9c3d4af725f4967e~

Section at left is the upper part of the rudder removed from the fin, and prepped with the T Bar as above.

Section at right is the section removed from the rear fuselage, with the original trailing edge.

This made me really, really happy - it means sorting the trailing edges of all the flying surfaces is now going to be relatively straightforward I reckon.

A celebratory glass of vino was quaffed in celebration!  :)

Iain

Hopefully I'm not boring everyone with some of the things I'm doing/finding?

I'm learning about the material and nuances of the print and kind of brain dumping here - but can just keep to headline updates...

Anyway - have a few more update images - here's the fin in position, now rudder separated:

48b427_7460208f426b4099bfc225f77234c619~

And with the thinned rudder sections loosely in place:

48b427_3fe412a001024528bc9ae316f7922ac9~

Have a bit more to report - so back shortly...

Iain

Tailplane roots...

Had been putting this off - but Sunday I dived in with both feet.

Seats were cut for two sections of aluminium tube cut slightly over-length.

These were then seated on beds of Milliput to allow time to adjust and, most importantly, align as needed. Superglue would have taken no prisoners.

I ended up mounting them a little higher than the internal bed as I think that will give best position for Tailplanes.

Bottom of the area was then filled with casting resin, which was allowed to go off (10 mins) before filling up to surface level with Milliput.

After a night in the airing cupboard the area was sanded back, flush, with the aid of the T Bar and 400 Grit (and lots of water!).

48b427_ab7dba2a12d3450c9577720574589680~

And here with the fin and assembled rudder (partially sanded) dry-fitted to check clearances.

48b427_5d0d21923ddc4a88bcaa0bc7b2727575~

Gunze paint pot should give an idea of size!

48b427_794ebf0d0393462799f6394bd3f99f73~

And that trailing edge - now lovely and thin!

48b427_db98f51f5ab34e38b942e1dcfa2bd7d8~

More cleanup needed - and I need to line the hinge area with thin styrene sheet - but it's progress - and I started only just over a week ago.

I'm actually making more progress than I expected.

I have got a little further - and will take some more photos over next few days - I'm only spending about an hour, maybe a little more, a day - and a lot of the time to date has been 'thinking time'.

Have fun!

Iain