1:32 F4U-1A Corsair

Pat H

Hey guys, It's my first  thread here and I gotta say, it's really nice being on an ACTIVE forum for a change.

SO... So... I picked up this turd at my hobby shop. I read an article in an old FSM magazine and knew I could polish it up. I set right out to order all the fancy parts for it. New engine and cockpit from Eduard. New landing gear bays and wheels from Airies, as well as a bunch of photoetch from Eduard.

HgqGJJv.jpg

However, the aftermarket parts I got, were for the trumpeter/tamiya kits, I decided I could make them work when I ordered them. So I did the thing any respected modeler would do. 

I built it up.

LgaFRW6.jpg

And then let my daughter paint it.

pZ1uHn8.jpg

6lJd0OW.jpg

And then since I'm a grown assed man that can do what I want, when my girlfriend lets me. I ordered the kit I wanted IN THE FIRST PLACE

mtRXJ1T.jpg

I'm still waiting on paints and a pair of nice fine tipped nippers to show up. But I plan to paint this up as Kepfords 29, Which I'm sure is a HUGE shocker.

I've ordered all the paints except the main color ones. What are people using for them? Tamiya lists a bunch of rattlecan colors, but I was hoping for something that wouldn't require decanting, and something acrylic. I usually use Tamiya colors, but this is my... 3rd? 4th? Corsair done (first 1:32) and I'm tired of having to mix the colors to the extent that those paints call for. I LOVE the one that Miloslav Hraban did on this site, but it looks like he used MRP laquers, which I can't really use in my apartment.  

Any advice on colors/pictures/things to be aware of on this kit, would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Pat H

Hello, Pat! :post1:

Probably some of the best acrylics are Mission Models paints. They have a Sea Blue. They work best over their primer. They also have a poly retarder that helps keep it smooth.

There is also Tru Color paints, which are also acrylics, though they use some acetone in the blend, so they may smell worse than the Mission Model stuff. I haven't tried them yet, but the locals say they are really good. They are made in here in Phoenix, so the locals have had a chance to play with them.

Thanks guys!

Thanks Ray, do you know if they need to be thinned with their own specific thinner? I've just been using tamiya with rubbing alcohol, and a few drops of retarder. Honestly, it wasn't until the last year that I realized how much of a difference the retarder makes! It really is the secret sauce to the whole operation.

Hey Pat

Vallejo makes all the colors you need in a true water based acrylic paint in there model air line. I've been using them for quite a while now and they work pretty good. They can be a little delicate when masking but if your careful they are fine. Tamiya paint is a alcohol based acrylic paint, where as Vallejo is a true water only based paint. It's best to use there thinner and there flow improver for spraying to get the best finish. If you want to brush paint use there model color line, its thicker for brushing.

Ron G 

Edited by RonGUSA

I've tried Vallejo a few times and never had much luck with them. The final nail in the coffin for them was when I gave their Matt varnish a try and it was glossier than my future coat.

I'm hoping to actually get started on this tonight, after work, even if its just cutting the bricks off the resin sets. 

18 hours ago, Pat H said:

And then let my daughter paint it.

Bringing along a new modeler, I like it!

18 hours ago, Pat H said:

And then since I'm a grown assed man that can do what I want, when my girlfriend lets me.

A true realist   :)

Welcome to the best modeling forum in this arm of the galaxy.

Cheers,

Damian

1 hour ago, Pat H said:

I've tried Vallejo a few times and never had much luck with them. The final nail in the coffin for them was when I gave their Matt varnish a try and it was glossier than my future coat.

I'm hoping to actually get started on this tonight, after work, even if its just cutting the bricks off the resin sets. 

I have had pretty good luck with Vallejo, as acrylics go (more so than my one try with Mission Models acrylic).  My observation is you need to use the Vallejo thinner, and even with the Model Air line, go with 20-30% thinner.  I have always used them over Vallejo primer (which I find to be excellent and use on all photoetch and resin parts even if I'm not painting the topcoat with acrylic).

Good luck with the Corsair!

Hi Pat  :hi:   Just an FYI , MRP is acrylic lacquer but they do stink to high heaven.

Most paints stink to some degree, can you put a fan in the window.

I've always thinned Tamiya with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner as it's

got a retarder in it.  Have fun with the Corsair.  :thumbsup:

On 5/13/2020 at 8:24 PM, Pat H said:

Thanks guys!

Thanks Ray, do you know if they need to be thinned with their own specific thinner? I've just been using tamiya with rubbing alcohol, and a few drops of retarder. Honestly, it wasn't until the last year that I realized how much of a difference the retarder makes! It really is the secret sauce to the whole operation.

Always best to use the manufacturers thinners. I have found all acrylics to be rather delicate, especially Vallejo. Vallejo’s color shades sometimes seem a little wonky to me. I do like Tamiya laquer thinner mixed with Tamiya acrylics, goes down smooth, keeps airbrush from clogging, but then you are adding that lacquer thinner smell to it. I haven’t tried Ammo real color paints, didn’t know you could use Tamiya thinner on them.

Alright... another Tamiya Corsair!  You're gonna love this one.  Especially compared to the Revell kit!  Like Brett, I used AK Real Color acrylics on mine.  Very similar to Gunze and Tamiya paints.  You can thin it with iso alcohol or Tamiya Lacquer Thinner or Mr. Leveling Thinner.  I'd highly recommend picking up the Barracuda Studios F4U Cockpit Stencils and Placards decal sheet... they really enhance the cockpit.  Enjoy!  Are you going to let the daughter paint this one???

Great choice Pat!

I’m workin’ on this same kit myself right now.  I second John’s recommendation of BarracudaCals F4U cockpit stencils. They make a huge difference to the look of the cockpit when carefully applied.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks for the input guys!

I started hacking off all the resin bricks on the eduard resin cockpit, that's been....fun? Haha honestly I'm just having a slight bit of difficulty seeing exactly where some parts get trimmed to on them. Otherwise, I'd say its going smoothly, just not that interesting.

I probably wont grab the barracuda cockpit set, unless the wet transfer set I got from HGW is missing some, but the instructions look fairly similar to doing aztek decals on an enterprise, so I'm hoping they're thorough haha.

Edited by Pat H

Hi Pat

Very entertaining start to the build, thanks, I had a good laugh. Seriously though, the orange used on the first model, what ref do yo have for it, I may need it for a South African Air Force Harvard I’m doing. 
I’m sure you’ll enjoy this build, it’s a great model.

Cheers

Neil