1/32 Nakajima Ki-27 - 77th Sentai - Burma 1942

Alex

That is looking very good, painted on markings are the only way to go for this scale in my opinion, and as turbo has said you can always tone down the Hinomaru's if you are not happy with them or put it down to fastidious ground crew keeping the national markings in tip top condition. A Tamiya Zero would be a good choice after a SH build !

Cheers

Dennis

7 hours ago, turbo said:

Looking good Alex! You can always tone down the hinomarus with a bit of post-shadiing and fading if you're not happy.

Yes.  I will definitely do a bit of fade at the end by mixing gray into my flat coat.  May go extra heavy on the hinomarus.  I did sand them a bit with 2500 grit after painting, which helped.

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement.

Micro update this morning.  I restored the panel line emphasis over the painted insignia.  The Tamiya gray enamel PL wash proved useful to do this over the white bands without over-doing it.  White bands are actually about 40% Boeing gray, BTW.  Doesn't look it in the photos, but it is.  Pure white would have looked bad (toy-like) if I had used it.  Looking at the photo, I may go and do some more on the panel line and rivets on the vertical stabilizer.  They are not showing up on the yellow very well.

105562028_10217739865717530_723571987626

Chevrons/seagulls/sevens on the tail.  I used a mix of Vallejo Signal Blue (091) and White Gray (119) to make this color.  Ended up going to the acrylics mostly because my collection of Mr Color lacquers seems to be lacking in the blue department.  It's been a while since I sprayed anything with a water-based paint.  Didn't mind the cleanup...

105192308_10217744115823780_347743465335

105563557_10217744116063786_874686019873

In better light

106017499_10217744116383794_102277696004

Cutting these smoothly by hand wasn't super-easy.  They are a bit different from one to the other, but that's OK.  These unit markings were apparently mostly hand-painted with brushes in the field, not sprayed through a template, so variation is expected.  I really need to get one of those Cameo cutters to do anything smaller or more detailed, though.  And start using vinyl masking film instead of tape.  I'm definitely pushing the limits of the "el cheapo" approach to this.

The Ki-27 is really looking nice!  Thanks for taking us through your pre-shading routine... using panel line emphasis with different base colors is an interesting approach and it looks like it's netted you a very good looking result.  As for cutters, don't restrict yourself to the Cameo... the Portrait is cheaper and can do pretty much everything a Cameo can do from a modeling perspective.

47 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

The Ki-27 is really looking nice!  Thanks for taking us through your pre-shading routine... using panel line emphasis with different base colors is an interesting approach and it looks like it's netted you a very good looking result.  As for cutters, don't restrict yourself to the Cameo... the Portrait is cheaper and can do pretty much everything a Cameo can do from a modeling perspective.

Thanks!  I think the jury is still out on this whole experiment.  It was a lot of work for some pretty subtle effects.  I will do a bit of a post mortem when it’s completely done just to cement what I’ve learned in what’s left of my memory.

Last update for today.  I decided to gloss just the small areas that would get decals rather than the whole model, since I did not have any other (weathering) reason to want to do stuff on a gloss surface.  Turns out it's not trivial to apply Future in a small area (I'm used to just flooding the whole surface from a distance and letting it self-level).  I had to really turn the paint flow way down out of the airbrush, and still got a bit of orange-peely texture.  I wet-sanded with 4000 grit when it was dry, and got a nice smooth finish.  I'm coming to the conclusion that "when all else fails, wet-sand" is a good motto for me.  It seems to be able to compensate for a lot of my mediocre skills.    

Little stencil decals on the spats:

88276959_10217745381015409_7092500528803

You can also see I installed the exhaust stubs and drop tanks.

Little stencils at the base of the wings and horizontal stabilizers.

106104797_10217745381095411_750719972524

Better look at the drop tanks.  I re-did the rivets on both - they were faint and patchy as molded, but there was enough there between the two tanks for me to be able to figure out what the overall pattern should be (or at least what the SH designer thought it should be).

105996802_10217745381455420_911391278452

1 hour ago, alaninaustria said:

You know what’s really sad... I can’t see a single photo in this build thread! Which kit is this? Is there a specific reason I can’t see the posted pics?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Alan

Alan,  some folks who are using Firefox as a web browser have had this problem.  You can try loading the page in Chrome or Safari and see if that helps.  Also any iOS device, iPhone or iPad should show it fine.  I don’t know why this happens, it may be the way the forum is set up or the fact that I’m linking the photos from Facebook.  I am going to start using a different hosting solution for the next model build because I have discovered that the FB links expire after a few months.  Alex

BTW it’s the Special Hobby kit.