1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - DONE

Brett M

On 12/8/2020 at 12:56 PM, Brett M said:

I have two items to paint on each side of the tail,

Hi Brett,

Looking really nice - Great Tutorial on Painting

RNZAF Roundels with the Proper colours.

I'm picking you're meaning the RNZAF Fin Stripes on the tail?

Looking forward to see how you do those.

I have often found it some what ironic/comical that some modellers/Decal Producers

will tell you with Authority, that WWII RNZAF Pacific Roundels were a light shade blue and paint

the Fin Stripe with a dark blue (common sense would tell you it's one or the other....)

Looking forward to the final reveal :clap2:

Thanks for sharing your build with us

Regards

Alan

39 minutes ago, LDSmodeller said:

Hi Brett,

Looking really nice - Great Tutorial on Painting

RNZAF Roundels with the Proper colours.

I'm picking you're meaning the RNZAF Fin Stripes on the tail?

Looking forward to see how you do those.

I have often found it some what ironic/comical that some modellers/Decal Producers

will tell you with Authority, that WWII RNZAF Pacific Roundels were a light shade blue and paint

the Fin Stripe with a dark blue (common sense would tell you it's one or the other....)

Looking forward to the final reveal :clap2:

Thanks for sharing your build with us

Regards

Alan

Thanks, I think the colors you called out are perfect. Here we go Alan. RAF marking blue and red, insignia white.

Edit: looks a bit weird, digital zoom on the phone....

PSX_20201208_174213

Edited by Brett M

10 hours ago, Thunnus said:

The Dauntless is looking beautiful, Brett!  It doesn't look like you had any issues getting your masks to sit down around the raised rivets?

Thanks, John. No problems with the masks. Even though they wouldn’t conform, I was still able to get some decently sharp lines. Kabuki would be better, but Oramask still worked.

• 3 weeks later...

It's still alive, if moving slowly! Pastel wash applied, a few decals for stencils here and there (another Archer release!)and Alclad dullcoat on. Getting closer to adding the final few details. I wasn't going for a worn out, beat up look....more just slightly dusty from (assumed) land based dirt strips. Hopefully, it's not overblown. A bit of polishing to do on the canopies and hopefully some light dust removal on the inside, but, overall they look pretty good. I've yet to tackle the bombs, so I should probably jump on those so I can get them underneath sooner than later. 

Let me know what you think!

_DSC9117

_DSC9118

_DSC9119

_DSC9121

• Brett M changed the title to 1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - The Final Stretch