Hasegawa 1/32 P-47D Thunderbolt.

Jeff T

On 4/22/2021 at 12:37 AM, Troy Molitor said:

This keeps getting better and better.  Thanks for sharing this with us Jeff.  

Thanks a lot Troy!....hopefully it gets better as it goes along!..:lol:

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by JT68

Slow work on this one at the moment.

Pics are taken with Ipad, so they are not very good.

Here is a pic of the slight ghost seam on the underside that caused all the trouble trying to rectify.

3n7XTRU.jpg

...and here it is after the repair, hard to see because of the shine from the light, but it is gone,....I will re-scribe and re-rivet after the Clear Coat has gone on, because I'll need to use tape for that.

LYlDeJR.jpg

Here is how it looks at this stage.

nNLAMSt.jpg

G9ACk3X.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff T

Bombs look sweet

clean up looks awesome

thanks for the tip re spraying into wing roots

tape lifting paint.. I would say "i feel your pain" but since I use MRP I would be lying

your finish looks good but i would suggest giving MRP a go - same finish without all the bs

thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing more

Nick

NMF is looking great.  If you are having trouble with tape pulling Alclad off, there’s something wrong with its bond to the paint layer below it.  I always use a lacquer primer coat under Alclad (usually just Mr Color gloss black), and I can pretty much tape with impunity - it won’t pull up.  I’m not sure that it will bond as well to an enamel or acrylic primer.

18 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Bombs look sweet

clean up looks awesome

thanks for the tip re spraying into wing roots

tape lifting paint.. I would say "i feel your pain" but since I use MRP I would be lying

your finish looks good but i would suggest giving MRP a go - same finish without all the bs

thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing more

Nick

Thanks a lot Nick!

Yes, I've read a lot of good things about MRP Paint, I'll have to get some and try them out.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:16 AM, Alex said:

NMF is looking great.  If you are having trouble with tape pulling Alclad off, there’s something wrong with its bond to the paint layer below it.  I always use a lacquer primer coat under Alclad (usually just Mr Color gloss black), and I can pretty much tape with impunity - it won’t pull up.  I’m not sure that it will bond as well to an enamel or acrylic primer.

Thanks Alex!

Yes, I primed with Tamiya Grey Primer from the rattle can, so thought it should be ok, the only thing I can think that might have caused it, is maybe I got too smooth of a finish with the Micro Mesh pads and it didnt have enough to bite into on those parts that lifted.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff T

6 hours ago, JT68 said:

Thanks Alex!

Yes, I primed with Tamiya Grey Primer from the rattle can, so thought it should be ok, the only thing I can think that might have caused it, is maybe I got too smooth of a finish with the Micro Mesh pads and it didnt have enough to bite into on those parts that lifted.

Anyway, since I'm not exactly sure why it happened, I am not taking anymore chances and will try and put a protective layer over it.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Or you may have left a very fine layer of sanding dust behind after the micro mesh sanding.  I don’t think too smooth is a problem when you look at the high-gloss surfaces that people often paint Alclad over.  My usual habit is to wipe down bare plastic with lacquer thinner and then with rubbing alcohol immediately before painting, and then to wipe down any paint layer that has received any sanding with rubbing alcohol again before spraying more paint on top of it.  

• 1 month later...

Slow progress still on this one.

Anyway, here are some rough pics as to where it stands at the moment.....I've done as much panel tone variation as I dare to do, and the invasion stripes and stripes on the horizontal stabs are done, but now I have to mask up the fuselage for the black area from the cowl and along the top and spine, so if I strike too much trouble doing this, this one could well end up on the shelf of doom, on its own, because I haven't got a shelf of doom for aircraft at the moment.:lol:

3OFcv7T.jpg

s3UYCIN.jpg

NjdKim5.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff T

Thank you Matt and Brian!

I masked the fuselage up for the black section, but first I had to airbrush the yellow on for the thin border strip of the black....because Tamiya Tape is getting a bit hard to get here lately, I have been trying to get as much use out of used strips as I can for the larger sections, not where I need a clean line or the edge of the colour, I only use brand new tape for that,  thats why the tape looks a bit rough.

cA1TPmO.jpg

The Yellow is airbrushed on.

pbwlT9J.jpg

I then masked over the Yellow with some 1mm Tamiya Tape and airbrushed the Black.....then when I peeled the tape off, some more sections of the metallic color lifted off with the tape, so I had to clean all those sections up with a toothpick, and wipe the primer down with Isopropyl Alcohol to try and clean the surface of whatever is on there causing the paint to lift.I always clean it off back to a panel line if I can, because that saves sanding the area and causing more mess,...it looks a lot neater at a panel line than a sanded down section.

3qNA7aB.jpg

I then masked up the cleaned section again, and re-sprayed the Yellow, followed by the Black.

xryTTgb.jpg

KzE614J.jpg

Airbrushed the Black, and what a surprise, peeling off the tape, the last little section had to lift off!:BANGHEAD2:

yfxPMP0.jpg

Anyway, I thought I'd mask off the Black section and re-spray the Metallic to try and get that out of the way, I can deal with this other little section later.

1BGmUWT.jpg

xts762j.jpg

Looking at the last pic, I thought it had a ridge of paint along where I re-sprayed the Metallic, but when I went to try and sand it down, it just looks as the new paint in the panel line gives the illusion of a ridge, I think with some clear over the top and weathering it wont stand out.

First part of repair to this section,....I have to go right round at the end of all this to do some fine touch ups where the Black, Metallic or Yellow edges creep into each other.

vFULpkH.jpg

After all that, I did have some luck airbrushing the Tail Codes on, using the Montex Masks.

P6pfY4u.jpg

ComC9L9.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff T