Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII

NGBZ

Throttle assembly and Bowden cables in place. I used 5gm gold fly fishing wire (annealed to soften and discolour them) for the cables with MFH 0.4mm black vinyl tube for the connectors are each end...

biTFv9l.jpg

Unfortunately, Barracuda don't supply an 'Airscrew Control' decal so I painted the lever with oil paint to represent the lettering. 

Gary

Edited by NGBZ

Wings are on! I was going to depict flaps down but decided that they required too much work and I didn't have access to the Eduard PE set which would be ideal. Besides, I understand that flaps weren't usually left down as they were prone to damage as they hung quite low. Gun camera port needs tidying up when cement sets, but needed something to fill the hole....

CLQDLE6.jpgi3q9DyY.jpgJMumczM.jpg

Gary

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Absolutely beautiful work! The finish on the various instruments etc in the cockpit has that very nicely aged and worn but still functional look. Impressive to say the least. Not sure if it's inspiring me to pull my half finished one out or keep it locked away though.

Cheers,

That is great work! Well done, it looks just beautiful

As far as your decision regarding the flaps are concerned, it is the right one! My brother-in-law used to fly the SAAF Mk9 LF for the museum years ago, and he wrote a few articles about flying it, which I'll link to here.

Here's an extract from one article regarding the flaps most specifically -
Taxiing back is straightforward, but an eye must be kept on the radiator temperatures as the landing flaps restrict airflow through the radiators. I would normally pick the flaps up immediately on clearing the runway because of this. In fact, a wary eye is constantly kept on radiator temps in flight as the engine will overheat quickly if something goes wrong with the coolant system. In most aircraft, oil pressure and oil temp are closely watched. In the Spitfire, coolant temperature is the one you watched! Speaking of the flaps: As I mentioned, they are held down by air pressure, against aerodynamic load in flight. On the ground, they are held down against a spring tension. Little metal flaps pop up near the trailing edge of the wing, indicating they are down. In flight however, as I mentioned earlier, you would have to be unconscious not to notice the trim change when the flaps extend. On the ground, engine off, they will still deploy if there is still compressed air in the system. If you then select them to up, the compressed air holding them down is vented at the flap selector lever, making a mad hissing! Quite funny, and gets some surprised reactions from onlookers!