Trumpy vs. Revell Wildcat

Astro32

2 hours ago, mpk said:

Is there another?

No, I was being snarky - point being that, had Trumpeter not made it, I seriously doubt any other manufacturer would have made a 1/32 Stringbag.

Quite how Trumpeter chose their subjects is a bit of a mystery to me.

On 3/23/2020 at 5:11 PM, coogrfan said:

giphy.gif

I can only assume you had the initial release, as the revised version (and the subsequent F4F-3 kits) is/are pretty damn good. 

Yes, it was the early edition. The one with the tiny stubs to fit the wings and  the terrible wheel wells. 

2 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I don’t know why the FM-2 doesn’t get any love in any scale.  Sword did a half-hearted attempt in 1/48.

There's also one from Hobby Boss. I have both, but have yet to build either. A few years ago, I did convert the ancient Monogram kit to an FM-2, however:

yCDWaH.jpg

This build got me excited for trying the same thing in 1/32 scale with the Revell kit. Still yet to do that, too.

Kev

I'm always on the look out for my next project and have always had a "thing" for the Wildcat.   I had written off the Trumpy kit as their typical junk but it seems that it's actually pretty solid.  A quick google scan really doesn't show anything much for aftermarket (such as resin cockpits, decals, etc).  Am I missing anything?

I'd kill to get an FM-2 (or even an FM-2 conversion kit).  Something really fascinating about an aircraft that served from pre-war to August of 45 and managed to hold it's own at all times. Plus, I have a stash of GSB left over from my last Corsair project! 

Grand Phoenix released a cockpit set years ago: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/grand-phoenix-32005-cockpit-interior--188714

Not sure how necessary it is as the Trumpy cockpit is pretty good and the cockpit opening is such that you can't see much in there anyway. B)

One item I didn't see listed on the scalemates page was the Archer Fine Transfers F4F instrument & placards set: https://www.archertransfers.com/AR32008.html

Edited by coogrfan

8 hours ago, John1 said:

I'm always on the look out for my next project and have always had a "thing" for the Wildcat.   I had written off the Trumpy kit as their typical junk but it seems that it's actually pretty solid.  A quick google scan really doesn't show anything much for aftermarket (such as resin cockpits, decals, etc).  Am I missing anything?

I'd kill to get an FM-2 (or even an FM-2 conversion kit).  Something really fascinating about an aircraft that served from pre-war to August of 45 and managed to hold it's own at all times. Plus, I have a stash of GSB left over from my last Corsair project! 

I have started on a conversion. Here is the parts to convert the rudder:

FM2_1.JPG.1346e445b0e0d6acfa794228d3c3adda.JPG

I had hope to have it done by now, but hit a snag when I had a series of medical problems, then we started our move to Arizona. Now in middle of fixing up the new house. Hopefully I can get back to it soon.

Major problem I had just started work on was a new cowling. I am hoping to convert a pair of Trumpy SBD-5 cowls into a FM-2 one. Would be pretty simple if I was just doing it for myself, but trying to create a master... The SBD-5 used the same engine, so cowls are close, except for the MG troughs on the top, and a little different in shape, but can be coerced. What doesn't help is Trumpy making all their SBD cowls in clear, brittle, plastic! So, if everyone will forward me their free time so I can get back to it...