Mustang Wing Panel Lines...From the Preeminent Mustang Restorer's Point of View

• 3 months later...
On 12/7/2019 at 7:55 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Here's the bottom line (and I haven't read a single post in this thread, nor am I going to, btw, but I already know what 90% of them say):

Build your model any way you want to.  If you believe the factory finished 1944 wing was smooth as a satin baby's butt, finish your model that way.

If you believe a 1944 wing had visible panel lines and/or rivets, build your model that way.

NOBODY, and I mean **NOBODY** is likely to have their opinion on this changed, regardless of any evidence one way or the other. 

Jennings,  I had saved somewhere the drawings you had that showed where the wings were puttied but now cannot find where I stuck them.  The result of my (in)famous filing system.  I'm sure I will find them in 2022 or there abouts.

Would you mind reposting your diagrams or send them to me in a private message?

Thank you! Chris

Jennings must amend his drawing to better reflect the truth. Read this thread.

I repeat what I have said before: look at all photos, look at all existing aircraft for how the wings actually looked.

Radu

33 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I haven’t looked at the thread in ages. What’s wrong? This was done from an NAA document.

No one has ever disputed the NAA document! Your "interpretation" of the NAA document is not entirely right. You should also look at all photos, including those posted in this thread. 

Read the thread. It has been proven (and accepted even by the OP) that some of the panel lines that you marked as "filled" in your drawing have never been filled. 

You value accuracy, so please look at all the data. 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

15 minutes ago, Radub said:

No one has ever disputed the NAA document! Your "interpretation" of the NAA document is not entirely right. You should also look at all photos, including those posted in this thread. 

Read the thread. It has been proven (and accepted even by the OP) that some of the panel lines that you marked as "filled" in your drawing have never been filled. 

You value accuracy, so please look at all the data. 

Radu 

Hey Radu, By any chance do you have a diagram showing the puttied areas? Or a correction to Jennings' drawing?  I'm a day away from working on my Mustang's wings so this is why I asked the question in the first place.

Thanks,  Chris

1 minute ago, CANicoll said:

Hey Radu, By any chance do you have a diagram showing the puttied areas? Or a correction to Jennings' drawing?  I'm a day away from working on my Mustang's wings so this is why I asked the question in the first place.

Thanks,  Chris

Hi Chris, 
Please read the thread. All answers are there. 

My advice to you is to look at all photos, including those posted in this thread. My own personal advice (and please feel free to ignore it!) is to coat the wings with a couple of generous coatings of a 50/50 mix of aluminium and light grey paint to simulate the lacquer. Panel lines stubbornly insisted on showing through the putty and you can see them in wartime photos if you are ready to see them. 

I do not want to "touch" Jennings' drawing. It is his duty to set the record straight and he should! 

Radu 

30 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

all aboard!

we're going for a ride again folks!

:lol:

I agree! I thought this thread answered the questions. However, it was Jennings who chose to revive it a few hours ago by re-posting his drawing. 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

Jennings,

Thanks for reposting your drawing. I am planning a SAAF F-51 during Korea. I have a lot of info to sift through on wing appearance. While it may not be 100% accurate it is close enough to get me started. I can tweak it as I see fit during my build and that's what is important to me. 

v/r,

Rob

50 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Relax Radu.  Seriously man, relax.  I didn't "revive" it - I simply posted a link to an image that someone had asked for.  

Jesus.

If this is that important to you, why don't you do your own illustration and post it?  And lay off the whining.

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Relax Radu.  Seriously man, relax.  I didn't "revive" it - I simply posted a link to an image that someone had asked for.  

Jesus.

If this is that important to you, why don't you do your own illustration and post it?  And lay off the whining.

Quit patronising me!

As clearly shown in this thread, your drawing is wrong. Don't be rude ro me. Fix your own mistakes.

Radu