What will be Airfix's next 1:24?

Menelaos

Airfix have already jumped the chasm of only doing 1/24 subjects from around the Battle of Britain when they launched the Mosquito and Typhoon. They have also realised the power of the American Market with the Hellcat (and they realised there wasn't a good competitor large scale kit of this subject) . They also know the longevity of German WWII subjects. So what might they do next that would have broad appeal to a British, American and wider market base? 

If going Allied

P40E or N - both variants were extensively used by almost all allied air forces. I feel this would have as much longevity in the U.S. as the Spitfire and Hurricane molds have had in the UK market. It may also potentially appeal in the Antipodes and even Russia. This airframe also has a smaller span than the Spitfire Mk1a even. So not one that poses problems of space in 1/24.

If going Axis

Me 262 - This is an iconic airframe and one that is smaller than the previously released 1/24 Mosquito with masses of accurate data available for it and a lot of extant airframes and replicas. No other manufacturer has made this in 1/24 (I am amazed, given that Trumpeter did such a good job in 1/32 that they didn't scale it up actually). 

Kind regards

Paul

I wish Airfix would retool their classic 1/24 kits and bring them up to the standard seen on their latest 1/24 releases.

The subjects were all iconic planes that should provide the highest possible return for Airfix.

I understand they still sell some of the old kits but it's time to renew things now that they (again) own the 1/24 scale.

They could of course expand the line with variants not done before (P-51B, 109F or G, Spitfire IX etc...), not to mention other classics such as Corsairs, Thunderbolts, 262s etc...

12 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Airfix have already jumped the chasm of only doing 1/24 subjects from around the Battle of Britain when they launched the Mosquito and Typhoon. They have also realised the power of the American Market with the Hellcat (and they realised there wasn't a good competitor large scale kit of this subject) . They also know the longevity of German WWII subjects. So what might they do next that would have broad appeal to a British, American and wider market base? 

If going Allied

P40E or N - both variants were extensively used by almost all allied air forces. I feel this would have as much longevity in the U.S. as the Spitfire and Hurricane molds have had in the UK market. It may also potentially appeal in the Antipodes and even Russia. This airframe also has a smaller span than the Spitfire Mk1a even. So not one that poses problems of space in 1/24.

If going Axis

Me 262 - This is an iconic airframe and one that is smaller than the previously released 1/24 Mosquito with masses of accurate data available for it and a lot of extant airframes and replicas. No other manufacturer has made this in 1/24 (I am amazed, given that Trumpeter did such a good job in 1/32 that they didn't scale it up actually). 

Kind regards

Paul

A P-40 in 1/24 is an excellent suggestion, and one I'd leap on as soon as it came out.  Personally, I'd like an N in RAAF or Tuskegee Airmen markings but the variations are endless for the short nose versions if they engineered it in a similar fashion to the Hasegawa kit.  After all, the P-40 fought almost everywhere so it's appeal should be almost universal.

Another good suggestion for an Axis plane too, but someone would have to do brass undercarriage legs for it if you were to weight the nose.  And a 262 is one that Airfix hasn't done too as we have a 109 and 190.

Cheers,

Michael

2 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

A P-40 in 1/24 is an excellent suggestion, and one I'd leap on as soon as it came out.  Personally, I'd like an N in RAAF or Tuskegee Airmen markings but the variations are endless for the short nose versions if they engineered it in a similar fashion to the Hasegawa kit.  After all, the P-40 fought almost everywhere so it's appeal should be almost universal.

Another good suggestion for an Axis plane too, but someone would have to do brass undercarriage legs for it if you were to weight the nose.  And a 262 is one that Airfix hasn't done too as we have a 109 and 190.

Cheers,

Michael

I like the P-40 too.Starting from the E-version.

Concerning the 262. The weight in the nose isn't that hight.Just enough to tip the balance to the nose wheel.

It doesn't carry that much weight.

11 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael. 

Personally I’d be going for a Neville Duke scheme if ever an Airfix P-40 were released. :D

I spent about $100 getting some 1/4 scale Lysander plans a few years ago, Airfix can have them, but if they do use them expect to get a cross between a SPAD, a Cessna 170 something and a Transavia Airtruk.

A 1/24 Tiger Moth would be nice, but if I was a betting man I’d have to put my money on a single radial engined WW2/Korean war fighter, and I definitely wouldn’t hate that.