1/24 Hellcat (out o the box)

chrish

Some poor prep work led to a bit of paint coming off with the mask on the left side and caused a bit of clean up work.  I was going to just paint the flaky parts silver and weather them to go with worn and torn but it kind of goes against the shiny paint motif.

Anyway, a little dissapointed with myself but here's where it sits today.

NLQK7C5.jpg

Sd17UMs.jpg

3C3vbQh.jpg

A bit more painting done tonight. I kind of jumped ahead of finishing the blue to see if I could do the "shark mouth?" I'll mask this now and finish the blue. none of these panels are glued together so I hope I lined them up ok. or I'll have a crooked face when I fit them/ glue them in place.

fE2OVJg.jpg

RQhEbb2.jpg

L38zESw.jpg

sBIbvcw.jpg

7NLyclE.jpg

WEcZugQ.jpg

OCotL2F.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement! I've seen some great builds of this kit on this forum and inspiring work they are! For my part I've botched up a few places on the kit, no fault of the kit or instructions. My mistakes for not understanding them or jumping around in the assembly sequence thinking I know what I'm doing or trying to make painting easier. 

All in all though, great enjoyment building it. In any case...here's were I've stopped for the day

5kPfIm2.jpg

ZhHj4db.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Hellcat, after a sabbatical to the far corner of the hobby room has returned to the bench. I don't remember why I stalled on it but apparently I should have checked it over more thoroughly before setting it off to the side as, the engine mounting was improperly installed previously and when I came back to it and began fitting the cowling and intercooler assemblies there was a gap of about 1/8 or larger between the 2 lower side panels and the bottom cowl panel and big gaps between the intercooler ducts and intercoolers. I remover the (glued hard and set  for weeks at this point) lower rear cover to check for the fault (breaking a few things in the process) I realized the lower most engine mount pins hadn't gone fully into the firewall (again, my fault) applying pressure made things better but caused flexing in the firewall that really made me nervous! I brushed some Tamiya thin glue onto the engine mount pins while applying pressure and, miracle! they both came loose, lubricated by the Tamiya glue snapped back fully into position, a test fit which, I should have done a month ago, now revealed a perfect fit. All the broken and damaged parts were cleaned up repainted and re-assembled.
Up to date now. The cowls are fitted and glued on with Micro Liquitape, a temporary adhesive that allows removal and replacement up to 5-6 times, going by history. So now paint touch up and weathering has begun. The kit seems close to completion at this point  and moving along again.  

t5yaeQx.jpg

jIXioPV.jpg

PBok9fZ.jpg

tDLcg5M.jpg

Thank you for looking 

Here's the Hellcat, short of a couple of bits but will be done tonight, sadly with both wings folded (reminds me of the old Dracula movie where he hides behind his cape) Not much of the model can be seen anymore, oh well, live and learn. A wiser man would've maybe done one wing folded the other flat...

RDbm08k.jpg

I repainted some parts to give a feeling of new/used panels 

yYIYPeo.jpg

D8k9Bfk.jpg

G6L9r6M.jpg

4Ryi8o6.jpg

j8PRqZ7.jpg

A big thanks to all who stop in for a look!

as well, thanks to those who came before me with this kit and whose shoulders I stood on to complete my kit!