1/18 Scale Blue Box F4U-1A Corsair Modification

JayW

After a year long modelling hiatus I've just read through 40+ pages of this build. And what a journey it was!

Absolutely fantastic, Jay. The way you painted the parts of the model separately and still matched the colors and the weathering ... hard to believe, but you did it perfectly. And of course, all the metal work is so satisfying to see. Great work!

Can't wait to see the finished model.

Cheers

Rainer

Well hang onto your hats - things are on the move.  

Weathering of the (3D printed) ailerons was straight forward, until I broke a trim tab horn fitting.  A microscopic repair, and we're good.  Here:

WtaBQXth.jpg

This is what I accidentally fractured with my clumsy fingers:

ViKKonjl.jpg

The balance tab:

yRSCSXZl.jpg

The actuator/mid hinge fitting:

rxsy2Wkl.jpg

And my aileron actuator rod:

r7uNxrXh.jpg

As a reminder, in real life the ailerons are made of wood. 

Then there was nothing left to do but install the ailerons:

zqevMrKh.jpg?1

GQ3w3zWh.jpg?1

jLVpASVl.jpg

i3Fs4tkl.jpg

Well, I was after a saw-toothed trailing edge, for some reason.  And I got that in spades.  I have the port (LH) aileron about 7 deg down, with the balance tab around 10 deg up.  I have the starboard (RH) aileron about 10 deg up, with its balance tab around 13 deg down.  Even the trim tab on the port aileron is not centered.  Note I have added balance tab control rods with their forward connections to wing-side flap hinge fittings, as I mentioned a while back.  It all integrated OK.  Also, I added some more dirt and fading to the wing fabric panels; might add a bit more.   

Well you all know what is next.  Stay tuned.  

Edited by JayW

Wing installation - a BFD!  Already I have shown how I beefed up the attachment features at the wing fold.  From there, I used a combination of normal Testors tube glue, two-part epoxy, medium viscosity CA, thin CA, and Tamiya putty.  The putty (which I can attest is very strong stuff) was used to fill all the sloppy gaps that the stub spars were to slip into.   

First, the port wing:

sch7MmNh.jpg

Hope you are enjoying this - I sure did!  My simple fixtures are in use to assure proper wing dihedral on a level airframe.  

Let it cure overnight, then the starboard wing:

g0pHX3Gh.jpg

There are gaps, but not bad.  And perhaps consistent with actual aircraft.  The joins appear to be quite robust.  Yay!

Bottom:

bEkmpw2h.jpg

Top:

4CJm4rWh.jpg

I believe that is an acceptable paint match.  Hope you do too.

It then became time to install the last of the remaining parts - these:

qONH8sth.jpg

Not much left!  All those parts except the main tires will be simply inserted into their respective holes.  That way if I break something, it will be more easily replaced.  The wheels however are permanently installed using - wait for it - the axle caps.  The 3D printed axle caps have been waiting around for literally years for just this moment.  I take great pride showing them off  ;):

42GLPNCh.jpg

Symbolic of an essentially complete Corsair.  SH.

I am going to resist showing a full set of pictures of the model until I get the long wire antenna rigged in the coming days; just picked up some 2-pound test fishing line for the purpose (0.005 inch diameter).  But here are a couple just to whet the appetite:

EuVa5JYh.jpg

lgXDO6Ph.jpg

aKjVtPTh.jpg

This is why we model.  I am extremely pumped.  Next post will be the final in the build thread.  Then I switch over to RFI.  Don't leave me just yet! 

Edited by JayW

On 8/2/2023 at 5:04 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Well if that's not the best F4U model we've had on these pages, then I'm a packet of noodles.

Now that is high praise indeed.  Thank you Kevin.  A statement perhaps made in haste - I think I can identify a couple of F4U builds that have resulted in some serious shock and awe on LSP (John aka Thunnus comes to mind).  This one though is kind of a different animal.  1/18, and with a ton of features that large scale allows.

I could have waited on this post, but I got the radio aerial antenna wire done much sooner than I thought.  So put a fork in it - the 4.5 year Corsair project is complete. 

Antenna details:

qsJHdbBh.jpg

93IhmNkh.jpg

h0rr3Lch.jpg

The wire is .005 inch diameter fishing line.  The black cylinder near the rudder tip is a rubber spring (made of .8 mm brass tube).  An alternate config had a steel coil spring.  Then you see two light gray insulators (also .8 mm brass tube).  Honestly - I have never seen an aircraft with so many variations in radio antennas and masts.  Search the web, and you will find just one configuration after another.  Even my VF-17 book shows a host of different antenna configs, including attachments to the h/stab.  And you would think the same unit would be consistent.  Anyway, you may recall that it was not clear what Hedrick's aircraft had, so I guessed.  Am positive it lacked the forward mast - check.  Am positive it had the wire spanning the rudder tip and the attachment just behind the sliding canopy (RH side) - check.  Am NOT positive it had the VHF mast behind the canopy on the centerline; MOF I suspect it had the whip antenna instead.  But the model has the VHF mast take it or leave it.

Here is the before/after compare I have done in the past on different projects:

nIt3V75l.jpg

7oiYk1Gl.jpg

Much has changed!  The toy however provided a darn good platform in which to modify and improve.  Now I present a bit of a photo extravaganza of F4U-1A Bu No 18005, Roger Hedrick's #17, Jolly Rogers fighting VF-17:

7oiYk1Gh.jpg

GQlmMd4h.jpg

A reminder that this thing has an R-2800 inside ( year-long project itself):

2BPHIYyh.jpg

J7k9LjHh.jpg

gRELdC7h.jpg

It also has a cockpit that took me the better part of a year to build up:

y1eloeSh.jpg

RQFOeoSh.jpg

Continuing the walk-around:

GQlmMd4h.jpg

cGbLW1Gh.jpg

VBTGRVih.jpg

90Mh084h.jpg

0H1R6vJh.jpg

d5I6D39h.jpg

I hope all my followers like what you see.  I am proud of it.  Mostly because it was a gigantic effort, and I learned to do alot of things that I had never done before (skinning, airbrushing, heavy weathering, and of course 3D printing).  It has been by far the most difficult and time consuming project I have ever undertaken.  

I will post the link to the RFI once it is prepared.  Thank you all so much for being terrific followers, with terrific comments and suggestions.

Edited by JayW