New to the forum and large scale

AlbertD

Just wanted to say hello. I've just been lurking for a while and learning what I could. I'm just getting back to modeling after many years away and plenty has changed. I recently retired but a couple of years before I did I started getting ready by building a stash of kits. Most of it is in 1/48 but I picked up a few WNW kits and a couple of 1/32 Tamiya kits. I have the P-51D and the F-4C along with some after market goodies. I'm working on my first build since coming back to modeling and I can see I have some learning to do before I get started on a nicer and more expensive kit. I'm sure enjoying it though. 

I was thinking of picking up 2 or 3 more 1/32 kits but I don't know much about all the new to me company's out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know Tamiya kits usually build well but there selection is kind of limited.

I hope you guys don't mind if I jump on a couple of threads now and then with beginner questions. I'm still learning about preshading and black basing and things like that. 

Welcome aboard!

It depends on what piques your interest. Every manufacturer has their vices and strong points and Tamiya do make a lovely range of WWII aircraft. I would establish what period you wish to build from and have a look around here for leads. You mentioned you have some WNW kits so you have an eye for talent in the WWI field.

I personally like Eduard kits although they can require some basic modelling skills to tackle. I also have a Zoukei Moura and a couple of Dragon LSP. You mentioned you have a couple of 1/48 kits, maybe pick up a couple of late release kits like, Eduard’s new Fw 190, the Airfix Sea Fury or Tamiya Spitfire to cut your teeth on? 

Whatever you decide relax and enjoy!

Edited by Kahunaminor

6 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Just wanted to say hello. I've just been lurking for a while and learning what I could. I'm just getting back to modeling after many years away and plenty has changed...   ...I'm still learning about preshading... ...and things like that. 

Welcome :hi: 

And as to techniques, me too. 

As you were familiar with styrene kits from days gone by, the main things that have changed are that a/ the modern kits go together better but b/ are more detailed and fiddly. The biggest change, albeit mostly aftermarket or AM,  is the widespread use of photo etch and polyurethane resin detail parts, which often require use of the very ungentlemanly cyanoacrylate superglue. This headache can be ameliorated by the use of white glues for cockpit etch, but for load bearing parts it's better to go for the more accurate kit in the first place than have to "refit" a bad one with corrective resin parts.

As such, Tamiya WW2 props are your friend, as are the later edition Hasegawa Japanese props: Frank, Tojo, and recent new tool Zero.

If you like jets, my own recommendations would be the Academy/Kinetic F/A-18A-D Hornet, Tamiya F-16CJ Fighting Falcon, plus Trumpeter MiG-29 Fulcrums. 

Tony 

Heya Albert :)

:hi:

When I first got back into the hobby ... My buying decisions were near awful ... the most dodgy kit of a particular subject on the market - and paying top dollar for it too!!

So my thoughts: ...

* Pick a subject first ... My stuff is mostly focused toward European/Mediterranean Theatre WWII ... but I did collect some Pacific Theatre stuff later - and these choices came out of my desire to have a go at building a kit made by particular manufacturer. Some people really like WWI subjects (and some have grown to like them because of WNW) ... others like Vietnam Jets ... others Cold War - or more modern ... Soviet, British, American ... the list of possibilities is endless.

* Google research ... "1/32 XYZ" ... How many different kits are there out there?? The LSP data base can help ... so too, Scalemates. Look for detailed reviews on the various manufacturers kits - preferably those reviews containing a build (rather than just 'in-box') ... This will give you a good idea of what sort of pitfalls you may be setting yourself up for in the build, the amount of effort or skill required, scale accuracy - against the real deal, fit and finish, quality of kit engineering etc.

* From there it's pretty much a Bang-for-buck decision ... how much are you willing to spend (or the budget will allow) - and what are those $$ going to buy you.

* if you've gone through all of this and are still unsure ... pop a query up on the forums here ... there's a bucketload of knowledgable people that can clarify on various points.

* My personal suggestion ... try at least 1 Zoukei-Mura kit at some point ... a relative newcomer (in the last decade) ... fast learners and the last 3 or 4 kits have been top notch! The kits go together in a very unusual (and I think - entertaining) way. The Ki-45 just released a few months back and the Hs.129 due out later this year both look amazing.

Rog :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome and great suggestions. I will be taking you guys up on the offer to ask questions.

So far my kit stash is all over the place as far as subjects. Everything from WWI to modern. It would be hard for me to choose one particular subject and stick to it. I have always had a special attraction to WWI planes and US Navy Jets. After reading about WNW I started ordering kits and kind of went nuts. I have a dozen of them and find I want more. I'm building up the courage to get started on one but want to get better with my airbrush and some other techniques first. Right now I working on a 1/48 Academy F4c Phantom and it's coming together OK but my work has plenty of room to get better.

Just looking over some of the kits in my stash I can see how much better they are than the stuff from years ago. The last kit I remember building is an old 1980's Hobby Craft 1/32 Sopwith Camel. I guess it was a decent kit for it's time but up against a WNW Sopwith it doesn't hold up very well.

5 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Thank you all for the warm welcome and great suggestions. I will be taking you guys up on the offer to ask questions.

So far my kit stash is all over the place as far as subjects. Everything from WWI to modern. It would be hard for me to choose one particular subject and stick to it. I have always had a special attraction to WWI planes and US Navy Jets...

Hmm, Navy jets, the smell of oil, paraffin and burnt rubber, the hook catching the pendant, and those colourful 1960s-1970s colour schemes.

In that case, get a Tamiya F-4J (and new jet nozzles to go with it) and the Trumpeter A-6A. 

And Zotz or AOA decals to go with either.

Tony 

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

Hmm, Navy jets, the smell of oil, paraffin and burnt rubber, the hook catching the pendant, and those colourful 1960s-1970s colour schemes.

In that case, get a Tamiya F-4J (and new jet nozzles to go with it) and the Trumpeter A-6A. 

And Zotz or AOA decals to go with either.

Tony 

Those are two of my favorite planes. I have the Tamiya F4c with a bunch of after market goodies. I've been buying about everything I could for it. I've come close to getting the J version too. I also have a Hobby Boss A6E in 1/48. It looks like a very nice kit. I want to get 3 or 4 kits under my belt before I tackle anything like that. Heck, I'm retired now so I have plenty of time. I'm still getting use to that part of my life.

6 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Heck, I'm retired now so I have plenty of time. I'm still getting use to that part of my life.

It's not as simple as one would think. I retired about 3 years ago and it took me about a year

to get used to it.   Anyway welcome aboard Al  :hi: