MiG-29A in Luftwaffe Service

Madmax

Hi Karl, Marcel, Brian, Alain, Torben and Ben,

I truly appreciate your input!

I have to say that what Alain and Ben are cautioning me about has turned out to be correct. This issue of inaccurate drawings keeps on popping up in build threads across the vastness of interspace, and will clearly keep on doing so. The 3-views I am using  were gleaned off the web and look superb to me (even having a MiG logo on them), but as I work on reshaping the fuselage, I have relied more heavily on photographs and only used the cross sections as a guideline. I actually can't get the shape to match them anyway as I would run out of plastic in cutting back to the profile they suggest!

One has to look at a LOT of photographs to get an idea of the shape of an aircraft, particularly if there isn't a real one handy to study. I was lucky enough to clamber around a real MiG-29 when the Design Bureau brought one out to South Africa for our Air Force to evaluate (and I assume hopefully to purchase). I recall being amazed at how industrial it appeared next to our delicate Mirages, and wanted to capture some of that in rendering the model. Look at how much dimpling  you can actually see on the surface of the skin, as well as the amount of fasteners!

1607576-XL.jpg

The lighting of this shot gives a good insight into the shape of things, and helped me get to this point - where I have modified half of the upper surface. The left engine bulge has been flattened as much as I dare on top, and the sides filled with Tamiya epoxy putty (nice stuff to work with by the way).

IMG_7781-XL.jpg

Here you can see my plan for the front. I basically cut the panel lines above the grilles (since I want to preserve that detail), and then put in styrene shims to angle the LERX slightly flatter as well as giving me some material to shape round in the blend between fuselage and LERX.

IMG_7787-XL.jpg

Here is the missing part of the LERX, shaded in pencil...

IMG_7794-XL.jpg

which I simply regained by cutting a line behind the shape, and bending the styrene outwards. The gun port need a bit of twisting to get it flatter and closer to its real shape. I will have to put some styrene between the fuselage halves to flesh out the LERX that are a bit emaciated in the kit.

IMG_7797-XL.jpg

Here it is after my plastic surgery.

IMG_7810-XL.jpg

And the behind the scenes support.

IMG_7823-XL.jpg

One of the tricky parts of this kind of surgery is the redoing of panel lines. I'm sure there aren't many modellers who enjoy this, but the right tools make it easier. I have found that for my taste the Tamiya panel line saws and the RB Productions Scribe-R are the bees knees. I used to use Dymo tape, but nowadays I find this flexi tape to be just fine for lining up the cut.

IMG_7799-XL.jpg

I'll post some photo's of the completed half just after our electricity "load-shedding" has ended for the day. It's a long story.

Now that our power is restored, here are some photo's of the corrected half of the upper surface. You will notice the addition of fasteners, and some surface work in places where I felt it would add to texture of the model. These additions are not exact copies of what I can see on the reference material, but rather an interpretation of what I see. As my friend Nick likes to point out, one may have to exaggerate some details to make the model look more like the real thing!

IMG_7808-XL.jpg

Here you can see the airbrake has also had some concave and convex shapes added (or subtracted in this case).

IMG_7804-XL.jpg

A comparison between the worked and unworked sides.

IMG_7821-XL.jpg

Here is the nose area.

IMG_7814-XL.jpg

I did some stressed skin on this portion of the cockpit sides as well as above the main wheel wells. This is essentially how I start it, and the rest is done by sanding the panels to shape.

IMG_7800-XL.jpg

I am quite pleased with the effect, and of course the upright cockpit sides.

IMG_7819-XL.jpg

Now I am going to take a break from the fuselage, and fiddle with the HAD etched exhaust nozzles. This should be fun!

Cheers,

Sean

WOW, impressive work Sean, just amazing!

If I'm seeing your pics correctly, it appears you were able to rescribe the Tamiya epoxy at the engine bulges. Did the epoxy chip like putty does? Anything special you had to do, besides the Dyno tape, to scribe it?  

Thanks

Mike

hi

wow !! that's a bold work !!! now , who will be enough " crazy" to try such "surgeries" on the LERX ???:hmmm:..according to the  of the real plane , the fixing of the engine bulge is obvious , now ,"softer"  .. all you have to do now , is to make the same thing on the other side :) ....it's an exciting WIP !!!!!

Alain