2018 Phoenix PIMA tour pictures

CANicoll

Some pictures from the PIMA tour.  The highlight for me was touring the 390th building, and meeting one of the original pilots from that group who flew the B-17Fs and G's including the first mission to Berlin where they lost 39 aircraft.  I bought Col RIchard Bushong's book (he went on to fly in Vietnam as well) and he was kind enough to sign it.  At 95 years old, he still has it.  Great talking with him (as did Gary and Maru among the LSPs folks).

I have many more pictures in my ImageShack folder - the link to them all is here:  https://imageshack.com/a/rfEo/1

Below are just a few of the pics I took; it was bloody HOT out there:

r7E1zt.jpg

Vt0x4B.jpg

88PhdR.jpg

mS1OQk.jpgGjtD53.jpg

With an A-10 flying over!

SjgPIS.jpg

GK8yIu.jpg

And the only pilot to have shot down FOUR different nations aircraft, including a US transport, for which he got a medal - look up the story!

SWPVeT.jpg

R4IPr9.jpg

More to come...

Guest Maxim

Glad everyone had a wonderful time catching with forum members and looking at models. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my free time. Pima is one museum no one should miss. If the comps go to Omaha I'm on my way as I love the SAC museum.

34 minutes ago, Neo said:

Nice pics

Now im really curious why the P-51 bad angel has an american kill mark on it!!??

As the short version of the story goes, he had just staffed an enemy Japanese base, and sometime during that his wingman got shot down and had to ditch into the sea. While he was circling his wingman waiting for the rescue Cat, he saw a C-47 or the like transport that was completely mixed up for whatever reason, and was on FINAL attempting to land on the Japanese airfield, apparently somehow thinking it was American.

After attempts to get them to wave off, andthey wouldn't, he lined up behind them and very carefully sniped both their engines out one at a time.

All passengers  ended up surviving after they didtched in the sea, and were also rescued by a Cat later.

He got a medal for saving their lives, as I'm sure they would have been KIA there had they landed VS being captured and made prisoners of war after they had just gotten done tearing up their base.