CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

fozzy

BITS AND BOBS ABOVE THE RADIO OPS DESK

Hi chaps

Another week gone by and more equipment scratched

There is so much equipment in the radio room that I decided to break it down into areas.....so today's post will be concerning the gear above the radio ops desk including what would have been on the desk!

So to start with I knocked up the ops table......

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk.jpg

....and on this table we first need the Liaison Receiver. ....a 4 sided plastic square with scrap plastic and wire for switches etc!

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(1).j

A bit of paint applied and a paper dial glued into place and hopefully all is well!

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(2).j

So I then scratched the radio ops headset....darn fiddly especially with the small gauge wire I had to use!

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(3).j

Here is the transmitting key and Liaison transmitter master switch (the pin is to show the scale)...........

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(4).j

...and the radio ops light...built using thin gauge wire....

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(5).j

this is the spare turbo amplifier.....

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(6).j

The next few photos are of the equipment so far upon the radio operators desk.....

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(7).j

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(8).j

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(9).j

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(10a)

Here is the Command dynamotor and modulator and its little shelf bracket before and after painting 

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(11a)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(12a)

The IFF crash switch ( I believe this was activated to destroy all radio equipment in an event of a crash!)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(13a)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(14a)

The portable oxygen bottle.........

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(15a)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(16a)

....and the fire extinguisher....(I have just noticed that when I accidentally knocked off the top of the extinguisher I super glued it back on upside down!ha ha!...will have to fix that later!)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(17a)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(18a)

..and finally here is the oxygen regulator and panel...... 

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(19a)

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_(20a)

So that took all week to do!

The next post will be all that you see here placed into the radio room on the model.

Once again I want to say that I appreciate all of you who are following this build....and just to let you know you are all on year 6 I think!!

Cheers guys!

Fozzy

This is amazing - a build that just gets better and better!

I am sure you haven’t, but don’t forget the window in the roof just forward of the main radio room hatch! 

Can't wait to see more...

Tom

2 hours ago, tomprobert said:

This is amazing - a build that just gets better and better!

I am sure you haven’t, but don’t forget the window in the roof just forward of the main radio room hatch! 

Can't wait to see more...

Tom

Cheers Tom!

No I haven't forgotten about that window as it has been giving me a headache since I started on this section!:(...There are many different variants  of the radio room hatches on the  B17G. The photos of this B17G  I am building seems not have that window forward of the hatch and then other photos show that it does!....so rather confusing to say the least!

vgt.jpg

Luckily most of the roof section of the radio room I am constructing is open to show the internal detail, so therefore I don't need to worry too much about it...as long as I show the actual hatch I think I can live with that!

The warbird ”Fuddy Duddy” in your picture had a long and varied post war career and therefore had numerous mods - one of them obviously being the blanking off off the additional window. 

As far as I can ascertain wartime Forts all has them as standard factory fit, but if you’re replicating the warbird then you’re laughing!

Looking forward to the next update - this really is inspiring stuff. 

RADIO EQUIPMENT ABOVE THE RADIO OPS DESK INSTALLED

Hi guys

We continue!...............

I spent all this week since the last post installing all the radio equipment I scratched......As a reminder this included ..the radio ops desk that had the Liaison Receiver ,spare turbo amplifier ,headphones ,transmitter master switch ,transmitting key and desk lamp. I also installed the Command dynamoter and modulator ,the fire extinguisher ,portable oxygen bottle , IFF crash switch and the oxygen regulator and panel...I don't think I left anything out!

Here are some photos...............

Equipment_above_the_radio_ops_desk_insta

So staying in this area I will now scratch build all the equipment that can be found underneath the radio ops desk....not as much gear so I will make the radio ops chair as well!

Happy modelling guys and see you on the next post!

Cheers for taking a look

Fozzy