CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

THE EQUIPMENT BENEATH THE RADIO OPS DESK

Hi to all!

Here is the next episode to this never ending saga!

Before I start I want to say that I do realize that this scratch build is not 100% accurate.The interior colours I have chosen are a mish mash taken from hundreds of photos I have collected.The other problem is that it seems that The Flying Fortress's interior used different equipment and placed them in different areas of the aircraft....for example the Tokyo shut off valves. I have placed them on my model beneath the Radio ops desk ...which some of the G variants were... whereas other "Gs" had them on the aft bomb bay bulk head. This of course causes me confusion and I have to go one way or the other. At the end of the day I have to convince my self that this is my own interpretation of this glorious Aircraft and it's never going to be completely accurate and to exact scale as scratch building is really flying blind!!

Reason why I am rambling on is because this project is taking so long and at times I feel that I have bitten off more than I can chew and I have to  convince my self to carry on...regardless!

ANY WAY..............................................

I have scratched all the bits and bobs that seem to be under the radio ops table although as I said ...difficult to know what was and wasn't installed!. ....but starting with the radio ops seat...here it is ready for painting....

Equipment_beneath_the_radio_ops_table_an

here's the scale.......

All painted with the seat straps fixed....

I have labeled whats what with the various equipment in the next couple of photos...the usual plastic scraps and wire were the order of the day!.............

I attached the top section and tried to poke the camera through the back end and sides to get the shots of the equipment!....

I then glued the seat in position and took a few more photos......

OK....so that's that part done!

I am going to go to the rear port side of the radio room now to scratch what ever I see in the photos I have!

Thanks for taking the time to look in

Fozzy

12 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Terrific stuff as always, Martin! That close-up, eye-level photography you do always makes your work seem almost real.

Kev

Cheers Kev!....what I really need is one of those miniature camera/videos..so that I can get into all the nooks and crannies!;)

FORWARD STARBOARD AREA OF THE RADIO ROOM

Hi guys

Another week gone by and another area of the radio room complete!....and another week nearer to starting the rear section of this build!...

So a few things had to be scratched and so I started with the Command Receivers...here they are before painting and wiring up!.........

Equipment_on_front_starboard_side.jpg

Being approx 3 cm long it was a bit fiddly...I had to drill tiny holes to accept the pins I used for the cable connectors and switches etc ....here it is painted.......

Equipment_on_front_starboard_side_(1).jp

Above the Receivers there are the Command Transmitters...just as fiddly!

Equipment_on_front_starboard_side_(2).jp

However the tiny Antenna Relay was a bit of a challenge!.....

Equipment_on_front_starboard_side_(3).jp

So here are all the 3 units complete ...........

Equipment_on_front_starboard_side_(4).jp

...and here is the Connector for the Antenna and the cables that will connect to the Transmitters and Receivers.....

Equipment_on_front_starboard_side_(5).jp

The next few photos are of everything in place.........

Equipment_on_front_starboard_side_(6).jp

Equipment_on_front_starboard_side_(7).jp

Equipment_on_front_starboard_side_(8).jp

Equipment_on_front_starboard_side_(9).jp

Equipment_on_front_starboard_side_(9a).j

So turning round now and facing the rear of the radio room I will attempt to build all the equipment that was found in that position.

Have to say that I am having a blast doing all this detailing...but the next post might take some time to appear as I have to do some house repairs this next week....what a drag eh?......chores getting in the way of modelling!

Cheers once again for looking in

Fozzy