Opinions on Trumpeters P 47D Bubbletop good build or go Hasegawa

oyoy5

Strictly personal opinion based on my experience. Hasegawa all the way.

I was trying very hard to bring Trummpeter's Thunderbolt up to my standards by filling the sea or rivet holes, then purchased Hasegawa, so I can have a replacement canopy. Consequently realizing that Hasegawa actually builds into more believable replica of P-47 and  Trumpet went to garbage.

I lost nerve , time and money over Trumpeter and it is happening again and again. Please do not repeat my mistake . and again this is only me, subjective to my own experience.

Cheers

M.

Trumpeters kit isn't bad at all for fit. It looks close enough to the average eye too. I selected it over the Hase kit for the in box detail and the fit - and where I live, the Trumpeter kit was cheaper anyway.

If mm perfect accuracy is a big thing for you though, go the Hase kit ... it's a fair bit closer!

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

I've built the Hasegawa Bubbletop a couple of times now and the only issues/extra work I had were dropping the engine mount 2mm to get the engine cowl to fit and not sit proud of the fuselage, this is a known issue of the kit, then assembling the multi piece cowl and puttying up the sink marks on the wings, these follow the grooves on the inner surface for the wing spar to follow to aid alignment. Trumpeter is your only option for a Razorback (there is the oooold Revell one) however and I do want a Razorback and will likely get the Trumpeter one at some point because I cant see anyone else doing one.

Why do we rivet count?

I think its a standard modellers disease ... If you are trying to replicate something in scale - the idea is that you want it to look as close to the real thing as possible.

A decision on whether to pass altogether, purchase a particular kit or purchase another manufacturers kit of the same subject will depend on a lot of factors ... accuracy is only one of them.

It's the degree of weighting for accuracy over the other factors that differers with individuals ... and even this can vary from subject to subject.

Everyone has their limit, though I doubt anyone would have purchased the more recently tooled Revell Spitfire Mk.IIa if it had looked more like an Fw.190A-3!!

Rog :)

Hasegawa all the way for me- apart from the corrections mentioned (dropping engine 2mm/sink marks in the wings) its pretty faultless- great fit and looks like a P47. Havent built the bubble top Trumpeter, but have read some negative stuff about it- rivets being one, but also engine mounting is said to be fiddly and theres all sorts of internal construction that will never be seen once the fuselage is done up.

Have to say though, I am a bit of a Hasegawa fanatic so maybe Im bias....

Built the Has bubble top with its very few known issues - Loved it.

Got the Trumpy razorback, and had it for about a week. Compared it to known pics + the has offering in comparable spots - Sold it the very next week. The cowl opening and upper fuselage area just ahead of the windscreen just did not look right to me.

Each to their own when it comes to what is deemed "acceptable" in a model,

I've built the Trumpeter D, and really enjoyed it. I'm satisfied with the result. The biggest shortcoming in my opinion was the cowling flaps, which are wrong (dont exactly remember why, but i remember that i had to rebuild them).

The accuracy is quite good, there are a few thing that are not perfect (like the canopy), but i dont think it's really noticeable.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=51862

I also have the Hasegawa in the stash but i've not built it at the moment.

Edited by Zero77

Hm I am contemplating to do a P-47D (razorback or bubble) and was curious about this thread. So far it hasn't done wonders for me. For either manufacture.

Cees

Cees, the issues with the Hasegawa are small and take just a few minutes each to rectify. The only other issue I had was of my own doing in using the Aires wheelbays. Didn't bother in the second build and won't bother on the last one I have in the stash either. It's a nice straight forward build other than that.